how can I make perfect gold fondant? - Page 2
Cake Central Top Picks
- 152 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Depending on the effect you'd like to create, you can use (i) edible gold paints (light & dark gold) applied with a sponge, (ii) edible gold dust (I love "solar gold" by Almond Art (for UK decorators) or (iii) edible lustre sprays for a smoother finish. (iv) For a super shiny, totally luxurious look, you can opt for gold leaf but it's tricky to apply. You'll find a tutorial here if you need help: http://cakegeek.co.uk/index.php/metallic-gold-cakes/
I'm not sure if people are seeing that, so I just thought I'd "highlight" it. What I've heard is that not only is highlighter NOT nontoxic, but that it's indeed very toxic as in containing heavy metals (for those who don't remember much from chemistry class - lead, mercury and plutonium are examples of heavy metals). The person who was spreading that is not someone I trust, so I have no idea if this is true. If anyone knows what's in gold and silver highlighter, please share.
I just googled it and it says highlighter dusts are not edible and just for decorative purposes.
What the person was implying was that because it contains heavy metals, it's dangerous and shouldn't be used anywhere near a cake. For example, nobody would paint anything with lead paint and use it as a non-ebible cake topper. This was supposedly some little known secret and she was very vague and did more implying than saying anything clear. I got the feeling she didn't know what she was talking about and have never heard this anywhere else.
The silver and gold highlighter dusts are not considered non-toxic. But they are definitely marketed as if they are not toxic. You should see the thing I got from CK products the other day. It was brought up in this thread http://cakecentral.com/t/763541/ck-to-discontinue-super-pearl
Edit: Highlighter dust was only mentioned once I think - we were just talking more about confusing edible and non-toxic.