Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Is this a typical thing to say?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this a typical thing to say?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I specialize in high end kids' cakes, birthday cakes and other non wedding celebrations and recently have been getting more wedding inquires and have noticed that quite a few say something to make sure I know they will also be contacting other bakers. Since I don't especially want wedding business and I have a generally terrible disposition, it makes me want to say, "Well, then go with one of those - don't bother me!" Hahahaha!

 

But seriously, is that typical of first contact wedding inquiries? If they think it's going to effect my pricing, they are mistaken. So what's the point?

post #2 of 13

If you are not contemplating on doing weddings, I would simply reply: Thank you for your inquiry, however, I am not currently taking orders for weddings. Please seek out (insert name if you have one in mind) bakery for your wedding cake. Again thank you for thinking of me. If I can help you with a birthday or other celebration, feel free to let me know.

If you are going to do their wedding cake, you can simply reply with something along these lines. Thank you for your interest in XYZ Cakes. I look forward to making your cake a very special and unique centerpiece. My minimum order is xyz. Please feel free to look around and compare prices with local bakeries. Samples as well as testimonials of my work can be seen (     ) here.  If you would like to order, please contact me by (give a definite time) and we can discuss design, options and pricing.

Michelle

 

"The only thing better than a cake is two cakes"

Reply

Michelle

 

"The only thing better than a cake is two cakes"

Reply
post #3 of 13

Some industries give discounts for purchasing more than one product (the insurance industry calls it bundling) and it's a universal bargaining technique. It has finally arrived at your door.

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply
post #4 of 13

I have had people contact me about wedding cakes and say they are just getting prices from varies bakers right now.

 

I'm not very patient when dealing with brides/bridezillas or their mothers.  I send them a nice email stating that I only bake Gluten-Free cakes, my prices, that wedding cakes require a signed contract and full payment prior to delivery.

 

I give no special deals because they are "shopping around".  For me this is business, not personal.  I don't want to be your best friend or bend over backwards to make them happy. I'm just not patient like that.  The last bride I dealt with said she was "easy & simple"  I disagree, I have visions of stabbing her LOL (kidding).  I couldn't wait to be done and over with her.  : )

 

So think it over, and Keepingitreal21 has some very lovely responses either way.  Wedding cake orders go on for months, keep that in mind when deciding.

 

Good Luck

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada   www.TeriLovesCake.ca   Strictly Wheat & Gluten-Free         

 

Reply

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada   www.TeriLovesCake.ca   Strictly Wheat & Gluten-Free         

 

Reply
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post

 If they think it's going to effect my pricing, they are mistaken. So what's the point?

 

Because they think it will.  Rightly or wrongly many view the industry as one where individuals solicit "competitive bids" for their project.  It simply reflects their way of thinking.  They do not "know" that your prices are set.  If someone thinks that you are simply offering them a bid price (or if they believe the industry is built on flexible pricing), they will act in accordance with that thinking--such as letting you know they are soliciting other bids to ensure you are offering your best "price."  

post #6 of 13
Every wedding article recommends checking out multiple vendors, be it for cakes, a band, or the location. I think it's in part to let you know they "know what they are doing" and to make sure your prices are competitive/not hiked up just because it's a wedding. I don't think you should be offended though. Be confident in your creations and tell them that once they see/taste your cakes you hope it's an easy decision to order from you. I agree though, if you don't want weddings cakes, feel free to say you aren't taking wedding orders now. Nothing wrong with specializing!
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingitreal21 View Post
If you are going to do their wedding cake, you can simply reply with something along these lines. Thank you for your interest in XYZ Cakes. I look forward to making your cake a very special and unique centerpiece. My minimum order is xyz. Please feel free to look around and compare prices with local bakeries. Samples as well as testimonials of my work can be seen (     ) here.  If you would like to order, please contact me by (give a definite time) and we can discuss design, options and pricing.

That's nicely worded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGF View Post

I have had people contact me about wedding cakes and say they are just getting prices from varies bakers right now.

 

I'm not very patient when dealing with brides/bridezillas or their mothers.  I send them a nice email stating that I only bake Gluten-Free cakes, my prices, that wedding cakes require a signed contract and full payment prior to delivery.

 

I give no special deals because they are "shopping around".  For me this is business, not personal.  I don't want to be your best friend or bend over backwards to make them happy. I'm just not patient like that.  The last bride I dealt with said she was "easy & simple"  I disagree, I have visions of stabbing her LOL (kidding).  I couldn't wait to be done and over with her.  : )

 

Same here :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake View Post

 

Because they think it will.  Rightly or wrongly many view the industry as one where individuals solicit "competitive bids" for their project.  It simply reflects their way of thinking.  They do not "know" that your prices are set.  If someone thinks that you are simply offering them a bid price (or if they believe the industry is built on flexible pricing), they will act in accordance with that thinking--such as letting you know they are soliciting other bids to ensure you are offering your best "price."  

I understand. It just sounds like a really foolish thing to say on so many levels.  It's probably best I was in a situation that kind of forced me to carve out a niche in the birthday business (my mom was on hospice 3 years and I didn't want to risk having to cancel a wedding order at the last minute). I would definitely have to improve my attitude. I've never been a proponent of charging differently for wedding cakes, but the few I've done were way more work in terms of time spent with the customer.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostedMoon View Post

Every wedding article recommends checking out multiple vendors, be it for cakes, a band, or the location. I think it's in part to let you know they "know what they are doing" and to make sure your prices are competitive/not hiked up just because it's a wedding. I don't think you should be offended though. Be confident in your creations and tell them that once they see/taste your cakes you hope it's an easy decision to order from you. I agree though, if you don't want weddings cakes, feel free to say you aren't taking wedding orders now. Nothing wrong with specializing!

I'm not offended - just annoyed. To me, it's like waving a huge banner saying, "I have never ordered cake before and guess what, I'm going to need lots of education and someone to hold my hand."  Not that there's anything wrong with that. But please don't imply that I'm a vulture who will sweep down and feasting on your delicate underbelly unless you put on a big act that you're worldly and cake savvy.  My selfish  thought is let someone else do that and when you've had your first kid come back to me and get a birthday cake. 

 

I appreciate it when a customer tells me she new to ordering fancy cakes. I'm happy to hold her hand and guide her.

post #8 of 13

We get that sometimes, even with some non- wedding cake orders. I think they primarily do it to see how low you are willing to go, but it may also be somewhat of a disclaimer, like maybe they feel you need to know that you aren't the only company they are inquiring with. I usually just ignore that statement, it doesn't really need a response. Of course reply to the rest of the inquiry (basic pricing info, any other info they asked for) but just pretend like you didn't even see the "we're contacting other bakers too" comment. TMI. icon_wink.gif

Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
post #9 of 13
I would take it as someone being upfront and polite. But I don't make cake s for business. This would be comjng from a potential customer standpoint. To me to actually call someone or contact someone instead of just looking at the website, is a big deal. to me it might be misleading you that I will definitely buy from you. So I would call ask you about prices, say I was also looking into other local bakeries and thank you for your time.
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
Hey everybody! Check out google.com ! This is clearly an attempt to direct traffic onto that site and away from cake central. Because everyone knows you can only have one browser open!
Reply
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 View Post

We get that sometimes, even with some non- wedding cake orders. I think they primarily do it to see how low you are willing to go, but it may also be somewhat of a disclaimer, like maybe they feel you need to know that you aren't the only company they are inquiring with. I usually just ignore that statement, it doesn't really need a response. Of course reply to the rest of the inquiry (basic pricing info, any other info they asked for) but just pretend like you didn't even see the "we're contacting other bakers too" comment. TMI. icon_wink.gif

And that's what I did. It was ok to let her know I was talking to other clients for her date, right? Just kidding! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla View Post

I would take it as someone being upfront and polite. But I don't make cake s for business. This would be comjng from a potential customer standpoint. To me to actually call someone or contact someone instead of just looking at the website, is a big deal. to me it might be misleading you that I will definitely buy from you. So I would call ask you about prices, say I was also looking into other local bakeries and thank you for your time.

That occurred to me, but here's a quote, "We have a of couple bakeries in mind but need pricing info. Once we decide on a good price we want to schedule a consultation right away."  I do get inquiries from considerate people like you and the entire tone of the email is totally different. When you put your contact info on the internet, you learn there are all kinds of people out there. I'm pretty sure I've even run across a couple of people who just like to order cake for fun. As in having me coming up with designs and sketches for their enjoyment. I guess sort of like how some people like to go look at new homes, ya know? It's a jungle out there.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post

And that's what I did. It was ok to let her know I was talking to other clients for her date, right? Just kidding! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, absolutely! icon_lol.gif

Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
post #12 of 13

I get requests like this EVERY SINGLE DAY.  My wedding pricing is on my website but people call and email daily to get pricing information.  I know they are checking out other bakeries and if they go with someone else, they go with someone else.   I had one consultation and gave them directions to the next cake shop they were going to because they didn't know where it was, just the street and part of the name.   

post #13 of 13
If I'm shopping around or just looking for a price before getting further into my decision process, I will let the salesperson know so that they don't go to too much effort on my behalf. I can't stand feeling obliged to buy something because they already put in so much work and time.
elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Is this a typical thing to say?