Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Someone copying one of your original cake designs - how do you feel?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Someone copying one of your original cake designs - how do you feel? - Page 3

post #31 of 97

I guess those morals on copying don't apply when it comes to trademarked logos and purse cakes?

elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #32 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle View Post

I guess those morals on copying don't apply when it comes to trademarked logos and purse cakes?
I was about to say that.
post #33 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle View Post

I guess those morals on copying don't apply when it comes to trademarked logos and purse cakes?I

Show me that particular purse cake in real life or in cake....you'll find that it's an original design. Did I use the C's for the cake, yup....but I didn't copy someone else's work verbatim....I changed it up and made it my own. I didn't pass off the idea for the Coach C's as my own....it's very clear who they belong to.

 

But this isn't the jist of the problem here...

 

She passed off my exact work, ideas and designs as her OWN.....and was offered more work because of it.

"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
post #34 of 97

Here's my last comment in this thread.

 

You don't want to hear a different opinion then the one you believe to be the ultimate truth. Unfortunately, I can't provide you with the " Omg your sister is a witch and burn her terrible untalented cake decorator friend with zero creativity ".

 

Not every decorator is at the same skill level. Also, for all we know, your sister asked her for those exact design ( and put them together cake lady please ). You already established your sister doesn't want to pay for the skill involved in making custom cakes. Should a baker who made a replica of your cake, for the cheap price your sister offered her, be blamed for not even bothering changing anything of the layout ?

 

I personally enjoy the creative process of making something custom, I don't have time to judge those who don't.

 

** At this point, you should just talk to your sister. And mostly, let it go, it will bring you no good whatsoever. If that other baker just copies other peoples cakes, that's her problem and her business. Right now, you are only hurting your own business by going on a massive rant over CC, Twitter and your FB professional page. **

 

I wish you the best in resolving your issue.

post #35 of 97
It does say Coach on the shoe.
post #36 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Art_Cakery View Post

Show me that particular purse cake in real life or in cake....you'll find that it's an original design. Did I use the C's for the cake, yup....but I didn't copy someone else's work verbatim....I changed it up and made it my own. I didn't pass off the idea for the Coach C's as my own....it's very clear who they belong to.

You copied Coach's trademarked logo verbatim. If you did not acquire permission from Coach first, you are guilty of copyright infringement.

Your movie-themed cake looks great, but simply creating representations of common objects related to filmmaking and placing them in close proximity to one another is not sufficiently original to qualify for copyright protection.
post #37 of 97

I agree with Pyro, it doesn't do you any good to be upset with this woman! If she feels it's okay to take another person's design and not give any credit; that's her problem, not yours. If she is that type of person, others will be upset with her too and it will be damaging for her. There is nothing you can do about her behavior, and complaining to your sister will just hurt your reputation. Maybe she will think you are not generous (I don't, but I don't know how others will react). So just try to let it go and think that your design was so awesome someone wanted to use it!

tarttokig.wordpress.com

Reply

tarttokig.wordpress.com

Reply
post #38 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro View Post

Here's my last comment in this thread.

 

You don't want to hear a different opinion then the one you believe to be the ultimate truth. Unfortunately, I can't provide you with the " Omg your sister is a witch and burn her terrible untalented cake decorator friend with zero creativity ".

 

** At this point, you should just talk to your sister. And mostly, let it go, it will bring you no good whatsoever. If that other baker just copies other peoples cakes, that's her problem and her business. Right now, you are only hurting your own business by going on a massive rant over CC, Twitter and your FB professional page. **

 

I wish you the best in resolving your issue.

 

^^^ This
post #39 of 97

Let it go. How can you say she copied EXACTLY if she combined 2 different designs......Obviously your problem lies with your sister. You need to deal with that, its not the baker's fault if she did what was asked of her. you clearly have some issues with your sister that you need to work out  that have notihing to do with this cake. 

 

I agree with Jason, you need to be careful about copyrighting infringement.

post #40 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Art_Cakery View Post


Your exactly right....I am questioning the integrity of anyone who says it's ok to steal anothers' idea or design verbatim..... You do know that the word STEAL refers to illegal and morally wrongs acts, right?

 

AGAIN, inspiration is one thing....stealing someones' idea outright is morally wrong.....

You obviously did not want opinons. If you just want to vent, then vent...that is understandable. But you asked opinions when what you obviously meant was "come on here and agree with or prepare to be judged" Things that cannot be changed are not worth getting yourself in a frenzy. You are punishing yourself with misery....

post #41 of 97

Any time a picture is taken, you run that risk of someone copying either the picture or the design.  I wouldn't say it's wrong, but it does show lack of creativity.  Hell, one of my pictures is over on some site in Russia.  Someone is using it as their own but I just shrug because I chose to put it out there.  Anything on the www isn't "safe" from being taken or copied.  People who are so concerned with their "100% original designs" being taken shouldn't put pictures of them on the web, Facebook, etc.  If you assume that risk then you can't be that angry if someone copies your design.  Stealing the picture is a whole 'nother ball of wax though; it's not right but you assume the risk and not everyone in the world shares the same moral compass. 

post #42 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill View Post

The dud abides.

LMAO...great movie

post #43 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill View Post

Any time a picture is taken, you run that risk of someone copying either the picture or the design.  I wouldn't say it's wrong, but it does show lack of creativity.  Hell, one of my pictures is over on some site in Russia.  Someone is using it as their own but I just shrug because I chose to put it out there.  Anything on the www isn't "safe" from being taken or copied.  People who are so concerned with their "100% original designs" being taken shouldn't put pictures of them on the web, Facebook, etc.  If you assume that risk then you can't be that angry if someone copies your design.  Stealing the picture is a whole 'nother ball of wax though; it's not right but you assume the risk and not everyone in the world shares the same moral compass. 

I would have to agree with this post.

Drxkfairy

Reply

Drxkfairy

Reply
post #44 of 97

I can tell how upset you were and still are.  Sorry about that.  But, I must admit...I've only been decorating for a few years and I get stumped sometimes and tend to take ideas from different cakes I see.  And, to be honest, most of my customers already have a cake in mind and they email pictures to me.   90% of the time they want me to copy it!   What do you say?  No because it's someone else's original idea?  Like someone said, by posting them opens the door to this happening.  If I were Tammy (hopefully executing cakes better than she) I would have personally been horrified knowing that I offended you.  A heads up would have been good, but an interrogation would have crumbled me to tears.  I take great pride in my work, I'm not the best, but I really try to please.  So maybe, Tammy was just innocently trying to please your sister.  Do you think your sister asked her to blend "your" designs because she loved your work so much and you couldn't make it?  Or, maybe Tammy admires your work and really had no idea you would be so upset.   Consider it all as water under the bridge and be thrilled that others think of your work so much.  Yes, they may profit from your idea, but Godspeed, you know.  Let them try and out do you.  Who knows, maybe you need a little competition?  Keeps you on your "A" game.  Keep it positive.

post #45 of 97

If you don't want your ideas to ever be copied or reproduced I would say keep them in your head. They are perfectly safe there.
 

The 6 Ps Law states Proper Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

-Mr. Morganti
Reply
The 6 Ps Law states Proper Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

-Mr. Morganti
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Someone copying one of your original cake designs - how do you feel?