Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Friday Night Cake Club for 5/17/13
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Friday Night Cake Club for 5/17/13

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up? What are you working on this week? 

 

Cat

post #2 of 44
Thread Starter 

Hi there everyone!

 

I just got back after two weeks in Sicily. It was an amazing trip. I'm currently working on the photos to get them up on Shutterfly, posting the albums as I get them done. I got caught up in that tonight thus my starting the FNCC late! Sorry!

 

My only order this week is for my own family. We are having a family dinner on Sunday and I'm bringing the dessert. I got something called Pistachio Creme when I was in Sicily that I'm going to use to fill white cupcakes, top them with vanilla buttercream and then roll them in crushed pistachios. Should be amazing!

 

Hope all is going well with you all this week! Please do share photos when you have them?

 

Cat

post #3 of 44

Welcome back Cat!  Hope you had a blast and would love to hear all about your trip!!  I did 2 rather large cakes last week and had a blast!  =-)  Conquered a fun Graduation cake as well as a Wedding cake.  This week I get to do my first gumpaste Stiletto heel on top a cake!

 

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3009512/nurse-graduation-cake/

 

 

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3009502/3-tier-monogram-wedding-cake-with-purple-ribbon-fondant-pearls-and-fresh-flowers/

post #4 of 44
Quote:
 I got something called Pistachio Creme when I was in Sicily that I'm going to use to fill white cupcakes, top them with vanilla buttercream and then roll them in crushed pistachios. Should be amazing!

Sounds YUMMY!!!!

post #5 of 44

Welcome back, Cat! I hope you'll post links to your albums so we can see your trip!

 

No cake for me this weekend but I do have a consult on Sunday. The only thing I have to make for it is some raspberry buttercream. Everything else is available in the freezer.

 

I booked a somewhat last minute groom's cake today, for May 31st. 

 

This will be fun...some of you probably know my day (real) job is at a small alternative school. A lot of the students know I make cakes and some have seen my website. They also know I occasionally bring in cakes or cupcakes for the staff. Whenever we have any kind of pot luck or treats, they beg and plead to try. As a reward for the students who did exceptionally well on their ACT test, we're all bringing in something that we'd normally make for each other. I need to get with it and come up with an idea and decide what I want to make.

 

Cakemommy2012, your cakes this week were great!

post #6 of 44
Thread Starter 

LOVE the nurses cake! SO much fun! And the wedding cake is gorgeous! My trip was wonderful. We saw lots of Greco Roman ruins that amazed me, a few Medieval cities that romanced me, and lots of really beautiful views. I'm working on about 800 photos of the trip for the albums...slowly<G>.

post #7 of 44
Thread Starter 

Elcee...anyone who wants to PM me here with their email address can get the links to the albums. I'm ever so happy to share!

 

And,yes, with my son's school it is much the same...they know what I do so they ask from time to time. For instance, this is his last year there so they are tapping me for the cakes for the 6th grade graduation. Happy to do them.

 

Cat

post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper View Post

LOVE the nurses cake! SO much fun! And the wedding cake is gorgeous! My trip was wonderful. We saw lots of Greco Roman ruins that amazed me, a few Medieval cities that romanced me, and lots of really beautiful views. I'm working on about 800 photos of the trip for the albums...slowly<G>.

Thank You Cat!  You sound like me with pics!  My DH gets so annoyed because I take SOO many pictures but I want to have a permanent memory of my trip forever! Just sent you a PM with my e-mail!  Seeing your pics will be the closes I probably ever get to sicilly!  =-)

post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee View Post

Welcome back, Cat! I hope you'll post links to your albums so we can see your trip!

 

No cake for me this weekend but I do have a consult on Sunday. The only thing I have to make for it is some raspberry buttercream. Everything else is available in the freezer.

 

I booked a somewhat last minute groom's cake today, for May 31st. 

 

This will be fun...some of you probably know my day (real) job is at a small alternative school. A lot of the students know I make cakes and some have seen my website. They also know I occasionally bring in cakes or cupcakes for the staff. Whenever we have any kind of pot luck or treats, they beg and plead to try. As a reward for the students who did exceptionally well on their ACT test, we're all bringing in something that we'd normally make for each other. I need to get with it and come up with an idea and decide what I want to make.

 

Cakemommy2012, your cakes this week were great!


Thanks as well Elcee!  I saw a cake the other day for a staff appreciation.  They had pencils going up the side and each pencil had a teachers name on it with a giant apple on top!  It was really cute and the first thing that came to mind when I read your comment.  Can't wait to see what you come up with!  I'm sure it will be amazing!

post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemommy2012 View Post


Thanks as well Elcee!  I saw a cake the other day for a staff appreciation.  They had pencils going up the side and each pencil had a teachers name on it with a giant apple on top!  It was really cute and the first thing that came to mind when I read your comment.  Can't wait to see what you come up with!  I'm sure it will be amazing!

That sounds so cute! I wish I had time to pull it off. You inspired me to Google pencil cakes, though, and I think I'll make something like this:

 

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2011/07/28/FNM-090111_Piece-Of-Cake-010_s4x3_lg.jpg

 

Thanks for the idea!

post #11 of 44
That would be perfect! Don't forget to post it when your done! Glad I could inspire someone today--haha. icon_smile.gif
post #12 of 44

Hi everyone and welcome back cat.  Some of you will have seen my mother's day cake but I'll post it anyway.

Made this cake after watching Maggie Austin's Craftsy class on ombre frills and cabbage roses.

Thought I should put to use some of these Craftsy classes that I love to buy.  I was really pleased with how the cabbage roses turned out.  The looked hopeless when they were white, all out of shape, but once they were airbrushed they looked really good.  I'm not a frilly person and hence the black as I wanted to try but wanted something to look at for a couple of weeks.

This type of design is great for very poorly fondant covered cakes.  It was 2 fruitcakes stacked.  I made them in springform tins, which I never do, as I wanted to cook them both at the same time.  Well blow me down if when I tipped them out they weren't slighly slanted instead of straight sides.  I also used mixed fruit instead of chopping my own and forgot to drop the tins on the ground so there were all these big air bubbles that I couldn't be bothered filling.  Wacked some fondant round the middle where they joined to hide the big gap but the fondant went on really lumpy looking because of all the holes.  Frills disguised them all and black spray paint on the top helped hide those.

Very poor technique all up but I love the end result.  It was so glossy after I steamed it and it looks really elegant.

 

Not up to anything this week.  Made gingerbread whoopies with golden syrup cream cheese frosting this morning to take to cake dec group but have got bogged under and will not make it.  I am going back to work at the start of August (after a 2.5 year break) and so we decided that while we were in the middle of painting we would do a lot more and get the carpets replaced, which we had been putting off because of money.  Problem is I am off to Perth for the Craft Fair this week and in3 weeks we are off on holidays for 6 weeks so suddenly all the painting  has to be done in the next week in the next week and a half so the carpet can get laid.  It will be great when it happens but a total pain till then.

 

Hope everyone has a great week.

post #13 of 44

Hello Everyone, Welcome back Cat, glad you had a good vacation. Mother's day was hectic for me, and I remember most of us were busy.  Glad its over for this year. I only have 2 cakes to make.  1 for a customer, little boys birthday and the theme is Cars, the mom sent me a pic of Lightening McQueen sitting on top of 2 tiers.

 

The other is for my mother's birthday.  She'll be 80 tomorrow and we are celebrating at her favorite restaurant.  I feel a little behind schedule, but earlier I felt ahead of schedule.  Don't know if you all understand that one.

 

Cakemommy, loved the nurses cake. Nice wedding cake.  Cazza, congrats again on the ruffle cake.

 

I will be doing my first high heel shoe cake for my niece's 21st birthday on Memorial Day.  Yeah me!!

 

Will probably not post the pics until Sunday 

Virginia 323.253.8213
www.urbanainez.com
He is the man of my dreams, my prince; He gives me the desires of my heart, He completes me. His name is Jesus
Reply
Virginia 323.253.8213
www.urbanainez.com
He is the man of my dreams, my prince; He gives me the desires of my heart, He completes me. His name is Jesus
Reply
post #14 of 44

It's very quiet here tonight.  Either everyone is working hard or out partying.

post #15 of 44
No cake for me this week, or for the next few weeks, as I spent yesterday organizing my move across the country, which is happening next week!

Cat I'd love to see your Sicily photos, the pistachio creme sounds yummy, they do pistachio so well there.
elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Friday Night Cake Club for 5/17/13