Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › DIY Desserts "Expert Advice"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Desserts "Expert Advice"

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 

This article on this website - http://www.projectwedding.com/wedding-ideas/diy-desserts claims to give "expert advice" and is asking brides to buy sheet cakes, cut them up, "drape some fondant" over it and pipe designs to make their own "simple, easy" petit fours...

 

I laughed out loud... if only "draping" fondant on those tiny things was so easy!!!

post #2 of 49
Haven't even read the article. Just your description has me laughing. Just drape huh? LOL.
post #3 of 49

Written by someone who has never touched fondant in their life...but I'm sure they saw it on a cake show once...

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #4 of 49

I found the most interesting thing to be the comment by gladish. Dirt cake in clear column vases?

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply
post #5 of 49
That comment about the dirt cake is the most messed-up idea I've ever seen. Is she making something that people are supposed to eat? what the heck?
post #6 of 49

Digging out dirt cake from glass vases is going to be super elegant...just add some gummy worms..in red of course to keep with her colors! icon_lol.gif

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #7 of 49

Ha ha! I bet the poor bride's heart won't be very content once she's attempted to drape some fondant over tiny squares of cake and pipe pearls on them. To your heart's content, indeed.

 

People are supposed to dig crushed up oreos and whipped cream out of 3 foot tall vases and then eat it? 3 foot tall? As in the length of my arm? So if I happen to be the last one to get to the vase, I'm supposed to stick my arm shoulder deep into a messy vase, while wearing formal wear, to dig the dregs of crushed up biscuits and cream out, and then eat it? Nice.

post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir View Post

Ha ha! I bet the poor bride's heart won't be very content once she's attempted to drape some fondant over tiny squares of cake and pipe pearls on them. To your heart's content, indeed.

 

People are supposed to dig crushed up oreos and whipped cream out of 3 foot tall vases and then eat it? 3 foot tall? As in the length of my arm? So if I happen to be the last one to get to the vase, I'm supposed to stick my arm shoulder deep into a messy vase, while wearing formal wear, to dig the dregs of crushed up biscuits and cream out, and then eat it? Nice.

Exactly. Very elegant...and a nice souvenir for your formal wear and for you to snack on at a later time.

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #9 of 49
I would guess that the vases are for display, with the cake extracted and plated in the kitchen similar to what is done with a tiered cake.
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

I would guess that the vases are for display, with the cake extracted and plated in the kitchen similar to what is done with a tiered cake.

There's no mention of cake. Just crushed oreos and cream.

post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir View Post

There's no mention of cake. Just crushed oreos and cream.
OK, then the crushed oreos and cream ("dirt cake") will be extracted and plated in the kitchen. It probably won't look too elegant on the plate but I'm sure the guests will still enjoy it.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

I would guess that the vases are for display, with the cake extracted and plated in the kitchen similar to what is done with a tiered cake.

I don't think so...she actually said she doesn't care for cake so that's why they decided to have dirt...in vases.

Individual servings would look nice with the black and white theme.

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #13 of 49
Isn't this the same website where that poor bride was getting her $4000 cake for $350? Cos that worked out well...
elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post


OK, then the crushed oreos and cream ("dirt cake") will be extracted and plated in the kitchen. It probably won't look too elegant on the plate but I'm sure the guests will still enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure that less than 5% of the guests will find a pile of soggy biscuit crumbs on their plate enjoyable.

post #15 of 49

How about the person who commented that since her and her groom to be don't like cake, they are asking their friends and family to bring pies (total needed-30).  Pot luck reception anyone?  Figure 6 (generous) slices per pie, that is 180 slices so I am guessing 180 guests.  If you have to have your guest bring food, it is time to cut down on your guest list so you can afford to provide dessert.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › DIY Desserts "Expert Advice"