Cake Central › Cake Forums › Information › Suggestions › Speed up Dipping time of Cake pops/balls
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speed up Dipping time of Cake pops/balls

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi All,

 

I have to make 300 cake pops/ balls and I was wondering if there is a way to speed up the dipping time of each cake pop/ ball.  Its very tedious and I wanted to know if there is a suggested method or machine that can help me dip more than one at a time.  All suggestions are appreciated :)

post #2 of 16

I don't make cake balls, but there is a very good way to dip petit fours that might be able to be adapted to cake balls.  I think there is a video on You Tube you could look up.  They raise a cooling grid up between two high items, and use a skewer to dip the petit four, then thread the skewer through the grid, and pull it out underneath.  It goes very quickly.

 

For cakeballs, you may want a different kind of cooling grid though - maybe a solid metal sheet with holes drilled every couple inches, like they use to hang tools in a garage - You would end up with a nicer finished bottom than with the cooling grid.

 

HTH!

 

Liz
 

Follow me on my Twitter handle: @Sugar_Iowa

Or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SugarFineBakedGoodsAndConfections

Reply

Follow me on my Twitter handle: @Sugar_Iowa

Or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SugarFineBakedGoodsAndConfections

Reply
post #3 of 16

Hello Nekee,

 

let me first state that I have not attempted 300 pops in one go...the largest pop batch I've tackled is about 65.

 

when I first started making pops, I was melting candy via microwave or over simmering water. both methods were a pain to keep temperature of candy regulated and maintain flow.

 

my dipping time improved greatly after purchasing a ChocoMaker Candy Melter, http://www.chocomaker.com/products/candy-melter. it holds 2 lbs of candy, has a wide-deep-round bowl, and maintains temperature beautifully! if I ever start doing large batches of pops, I will purchase another melter (or a few) and have multiple melters going at once.

 

also, I use almond bark to dip because it dries fast, smooth, and thin! I find candy melts take longer to set then the almond bark. and I use 'paramount crystals', http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/food-items/paramount-crystals/46/593/794/619061/, to fix fluidity issues.     

cake-hole

 -- (noun) Mouth, i.e. the orifice one ought to be using for eating cake rather than talking $#!7

Anniversary
(6 photos)
Easter
(5 photos)
Reply

cake-hole

 -- (noun) Mouth, i.e. the orifice one ought to be using for eating cake rather than talking $#!7

Anniversary
(6 photos)
Easter
(5 photos)
Reply
post #4 of 16
I like to use a pipping bag and "drizzle" the candy melts all over the pop. Then tap excess off by tapping the stick on the side of a bowl. By drizzling the candy melts with the pipping bag, I find that I can cover the ball faster then "spooning" the melts and can make sure I cover everything. He heat from your hand will help keep the candy melts warmer longer also.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar View Post

I don't make cake balls, but there is a very good way to dip petit fours that might be able to be adapted to cake balls.  I think there is a video on You Tube you could look up.  They raise a cooling grid up between two high items, and use a skewer to dip the petit four, then thread the skewer through the grid, and pull it out underneath.  It goes very quickly.

 

For cakeballs, you may want a different kind of cooling grid though - maybe a solid metal sheet with holes drilled every couple inches, like they use to hang tools in a garage - You would end up with a nicer finished bottom than with the cooling grid.

 

HTH!

 

Liz
 

Hi Liz, 

Thanks for your suggestion... It sounds interesting... Do by chance have the link for the you tube video that you mentioned?

 

Thanks!

post #6 of 16
I make that many cake pops or more every week. You can use a hot pad underneath the container holding the melted choc. Dip and tap. I have started making them stick up rather than stick down and that is faster. Practice increases your speed.
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by virago View Post

Hello Nekee,

 

let me first state that I have not attempted 300 pops in one go...the largest pop batch I've tackled is about 65.

 

when I first started making pops, I was melting candy via microwave or over simmering water. both methods were a pain to keep temperature of candy regulated and maintain flow.

 

my dipping time improved greatly after purchasing a ChocoMaker Candy Melter, http://www.chocomaker.com/products/candy-melter. it holds 2 lbs of candy, has a wide-deep-round bowl, and maintains temperature beautifully! if I ever start doing large batches of pops, I will purchase another melter (or a few) and have multiple melters going at once.

 

also, I use almond bark to dip because it dries fast, smooth, and thin! I find candy melts take longer to set then the almond bark. and I use 'paramount crystals', http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/food-items/paramount-crystals/46/593/794/619061/, to fix fluidity issues.     

Hi Virago,

 

Thanks great!! I was thinking about getting a chocolate melter or I was thinking.... I could melt it in a slow cooker to do a large batch at once.  Has anyone ever tried melting chocolate in a slow cooker?

 

I'm going to try the almond bark... does it taste better than the regular candy melts? And are the paramount crystals better than using vegetable oil?  I usually use the vegetable oil to thin the chocolate.

 

Thanks!

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sugaree View Post

I like to use a pipping bag and "drizzle" the candy melts all over the pop. Then tap excess off by tapping the stick on the side of a bowl. By drizzling the candy melts with the pipping bag, I find that I can cover the ball faster then "spooning" the melts and can make sure I cover everything. He heat from your hand will help keep the candy melts warmer longer also.

Thats a good idea ... I bet that it is less messy doing it this way.

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s View Post

I make that many cake pops or more every week. You can use a hot pad underneath the container holding the melted choc. Dip and tap. I have started making them stick up rather than stick down and that is faster. Practice increases your speed.

Hi Leah_s ... Hopefully this isn't a silly question, but I dont understand the stick up method.  Doesn't the stick need to be facing down toward the melted chocolate?

post #10 of 16

I have used a slow cooker on low.  It worked really well.  I ended up buying two mini dipper slow cooker things.  and they are great because they are small enough to be able to reach in without getting chocolate all over your hand.  I agree with making the pops stick up! way easier! All this cake pop talk has me thinking its time to reintroduce them to my clients.

post #11 of 16

I make tons of pops, the best improvements for time have been the cakepop roller, cutting down my time on hundreds by HOURS, but not really anything in way of dipping. She meant like, instead of dipping and sticking the sticks in foam or something to dry, dipping them and sitting them cakepop down on wax paper, so that you don't have to drip so much excess chocolate off, work with each for as long and instead dip and stick on the wax paper, standing stick side up. If you're looking for something to melt large amounts of chocolate in, I'd try the double boiler method, before the slow cooker...It's pretty easy to make a makeshift one, and melt lots of chocolate at once. I prefer Merkens, it's my favorite every day dipping medium. I love the ceramic warmers from Wilton, the two bigger ones that come in a box for like $10-11. They're my go to even on big jobs, because I can switch colors, and dip like 2 dozen in each batch of chocolate, the ceramic keeps it warm for forever and I really don't need more chocolate than that melted at one time. Good luck! ;)

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekee View Post

Hi Virago,

 

Thanks great!! I was thinking about getting a chocolate melter or I was thinking.... I could melt it in a slow cooker to do a large batch at once.  Has anyone ever tried melting chocolate in a slow cooker?

 

I'm going to try the almond bark... does it taste better than the regular candy melts? And are the paramount crystals better than using vegetable oil?  I usually use the vegetable oil to thin the chocolate.

 

Thanks!

 

before purchasing a candy melter, I researched the possibility of using a slow cooker. comments that I found included having to turn the slow cooker off to keep it from getting to hot...but I have not tried it and poster Kvand said she had success.  

 

I think the almond bark has less flavoring then candy melts, which I like because the taste of the cake seems to comes through more. but ultimately, I believe the taste will be a personal preference.

 

paramount crystals are definitely the way to go, especially with candy!

cake-hole

 -- (noun) Mouth, i.e. the orifice one ought to be using for eating cake rather than talking $#!7

Anniversary
(6 photos)
Easter
(5 photos)
Reply

cake-hole

 -- (noun) Mouth, i.e. the orifice one ought to be using for eating cake rather than talking $#!7

Anniversary
(6 photos)
Easter
(5 photos)
Reply
post #13 of 16

I have a cake pop roller, gathering dust because I could never get it to work.  I have hopes that someday I may figure it out, but so far, it was a waste of $$.

Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
post #14 of 16

For those who have been making cake pops successfully....can you please help me?  I have never made any and have a customer who wants to order some. Can you please direct me on how to make them...and how much to charge?  Any and all help is appreciated! THANKS in advance.

post #15 of 16

I have a blog on my page that is detailed on how to make Cake Pops. I also have pricing on there as well.  www.chrissyscakeshop.com

 

FYI:  I purchased 2 of the Baby Cake Candy Melters and they do not get hot enough to melt the chocolate to a smooth and thin consistency.  The chocolate stays very thick!

 

Hope this helps. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Suggestions
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Information › Suggestions › Speed up Dipping time of Cake pops/balls