Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Things that drive me crazy--
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that drive me crazy-- - Page 4

post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by abromavm View Post

5. Friends and family who think you are in business to save THEM money.  (Or family thinking their free cake will give you some "good practice"!)

 

TRUE

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by abromavm View Post

(Or family thinking their free cake will give you some "good practice"!)

 

That drives me nuts! A couple of times recently when I got the practice line I got all wide-eyed and horrified looking and said "Oh my gosh, you think I need more practice? Are my cakes that bad?"

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee View Post

That drives me nuts! A couple of times recently when I got the practice line I got all wide-eyed and horrified looking and said "Oh my gosh, you think I need more practice? Are my cakes that bad?"

That is hysterical! I love it!

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilajar View Post


I also do only fondant cakes, not buttercream. I don't really make any money doing them, but I like to post pics of them on Facebook, and I have people say "Oh, I don't want anything FANCY like you do, I just want a simple cake". You have seen what I do. You either want it or you don't.
 

Oh this so much.

 

You can see that I use fondant, and I've told you that I mostly make mudcake. So don't ask me for buttercream piping over a sourdough cake. What the heck is sourdough cake anyway?

 

'Oh, it's a cake we got a a bakery in a city 4 hours' drive from you 2 years ago. Can you make one?'

 

Ah no - given that I've never heard of one, and even if I had, can make no guarantee that anything I make will taste like the one the bakery made, given that I never tasted it.

post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir View Post

Oh this so much.

You can see that I use fondant, and I've told you that I mostly make mudcake. So don't ask me for buttercream piping over a sourdough cake. What the heck is sourdough cake anyway?

'Oh, it's a cake we got a a bakery in a city 4 hours' drive from you 2 years ago. Can you make one?'

Ah no - given that I've never heard of one, and even if I had, can make no guarantee that anything I make will taste like the one the bakery made, given that I never tasted it.
Seriously? That is crazy!!

In January, at a bridal show, I was asked if I would make their family recipe stout cake for the groom's cake. I did tell them I would love the recipe, but I made no promises, lol. I was thinking, "Why don't YOU make it??"
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #51 of 55

When I do a cake for free (which is often) the only 2 things that they get to decide is the flavour and the theme. It's free. What more do they want? LOL icon_cry.gif

Anita
Reply
Anita
Reply
post #52 of 55

When I do a cake for free (which is all the time, regardless of who's paying for the ingredients), they don't necessarily get to decide that: the Leland Awards cake was a 9x13 single-layer sheet spice cake with maple-cinnamon BC, served in-pan, because I was one of the people who was going to be eating it, and because the maple-cinnamon BC harmonized with the edible print of the Leland Award trophy (machine-carved from a block of dark wood), and because one 9x13 sheet cake served in-pan was what I had the time and energy to do! When I was informed that my mom wanted a cake for Easter, I did a strawberry marble in part because the piped strawberries seemed appropriate for Spring, because I was having trouble coming up with an Easter-specific design that wouldn't either be too secular (e.g., bunnies) or too morbid (even an empty cross is still an instrument of slow, painful, excruciating execution, and even an empty tomb is still a tomb), and because I wanted to see if the Betty Crocker white cake mix, made with whole eggs, would give me any more volume than the DH with egg whites only did (it didn't), or would fight the strawberry flavor less (maybe).

 

When I make a Mothers Day cake for my mom, and again when I make her a birthday cake, I'll probably do chocolate (her choice), and make myself a small white kitchen cake, as an excuse to try the "First Street" white cake mix from Smart & Final (since it claims a full mix will make a full sheet, and lists how much mix to use for various sized pans). For my dad's birthday, and maybe again for Fathers Day (assuming I don't make some kind of cookies instead), probably another pound cake, in a Bundt mold, served naked (except for a bit of writing), since he didn't care much for frosting even before he became mildly type-2 diabetic.

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply
post #53 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykickfire View Post

When I do a cake for free (which is often) the only 2 things that they get to decide is the flavour and the theme. It's free. What more do they want? LOL icon_cry.gif


I love it when all of a sudden the customer BECOMES a professional cake decorator! "Oh can you make x, y, and z to add to the cake."  "Oh I was hoping to get a, b, or c designed onto the side."  Then comes the insult---"you can do that can't you?"  Yes I can I just dont wanna!  LOL

post #54 of 55

CakeCentral seriously needs a "LIKE" button for posts! These are the best!

post #55 of 55
I so agree with you!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Things that drive me crazy--