I'm hoping to do a 3d cake of a Volkswagen 1964 1200 beetle for my fiancé. I'm hoping to do it with cake , buttercream frosting and Marshmallow Fondant . I need to know a few things.. Please help me –
1) Should I freeze the cake before attempting to carve? Should i freeze it covered with a polythene cling wrap? if so how long should i freeze it for?
2) I should use Butter-cream frosting to cover the cake before putting on the marshmallow fondant layer right?
3) How long should i refrigerate the butter-cream covered cake before i put on the fondant layer?
4) Can i paint the cars design using food coloring? if not how do i make edible coloring to paint on the fondant?
How long should i let that dry before applying the Edible cake varnish to bring shine to the finished car? This is the car I’m referring to, i need to paint the green and black stripes in that - http://www.freeimagehosting.net/nu9gj
5) As you can see there’s a design on the hood of the car. Ive uploaded a pic to have a look at it here- http://www.freeimagehosting.net/h6dcu
Can i make that design on the fondant using the fondant carving tools? or should I carve out that design on the cake before putting on the frostings?