Ok, It's my sister's 18th birthday, and I've only worked with fondant/fondant coloring/blah blah and everything a few times.
This time I'm going to be more outgoing and hope I don't mess up but I never have the answers to the problems I run into in the process.
Okay my cake is going to be a 2 tier cake with buttercream frosting and coconut flavored marshmallow fondant.
I'm terrified I won't have enough time to do everything before her birthday so here's my plan/questions:
- Can I freeze the cake? (Devil's food cake)
- If so how do I thaw it and how long do I wait till I frost and put fondant on it.
- When can I premake my fondant and icing so that I have it ready in time, so how many days before.
- I need this done for Thursday (March 14) and Wednesday I'm unavailable. So is it safe to finish the cake Tuesday?
- How and where do I store my cake for 2 days so that I can garuntee it wont dry out and get gross
- I'm scared if I put it in the fridge it will sweat and cause the fondant color to run or get gross, or even dry out if I don't put in the fridge?
- How thin should my fondant be when I roll it?
- Most importantly my buttercream frosting always seems to melt and not hold/ butter never mixes fully into the stuff. Any tips? I needs to be a crusty buttercream
Edited by ProAtHeart - 3/9/13 at 2:20pm