When I go to the hair salon/nail shop, I'm trying to relax and don't want to be sold to. Perhaps that's just me.
I'm not sure if your target market includes families, but here are some ideas:
1) The library runs a summer reading program. For kids that read the specified number of books, they get a coupon booklet. I put a coupon in the booklet.
2) Malls have these free concerts for kids, they advertise them months in advance. I haven't done it, but I know a local bakery gives out free samples at these.
3) We have a couple of family bloggers in the area, then often do promotions/giveaways on their websites.
4) We have an independent book store that often has book signings, if the author agrees you can do giveaways at the book signings. Often times, word of free cupcakes brings more folks out than the author. Win-win!
5) Although I don't do consignemt sales, I know a few bakers that have done that.
6)Our community center has family days/events, you can do giveaways for family days at the community centers.
7) Local schools are always looking for bakeries to do a bake sale and give a % of sales to the school. Many schools do this for sporting events as well.
8) Radio giveaways, find a radio station you like and do a giveaway. I've spoke with some that will do an advertising fee swap for goodies to giveaway. Wasn't a good fit for me, so I didn't choose it.
9) Community festivals, art festivals, home and garden shows are typically looking for exhibitors. Can be pricey depending on the show.
10) Private schools fairs or summer camp fairs.
11) Visit your local chamber, they often are great at giving ideas and lists of upcoming events. They can introduce you to potential partners too.
I should note for most giveaways you need to have insurance.