Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Make or buy Fondant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Make or buy Fondant - Page 2

post #16 of 37

I've read that mixing some shortening with the fondant makes it more pilable, but i'm in UK and can't seem to find it anywhere in the stores. Is there anyone from the UK on this forum who can help me with this please? Even if there is an alternative to shortening. I'm new to using fondant so don't want to mess up, esp because i'm going to be making a celebration cake soon to feed 60+ guests. Please Help xx

post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1978 View Post

I've read that mixing some shortening with the fondant makes it more pilable, but i'm in UK and can't seem to find it anywhere in the stores. Is there anyone from the UK on this forum who can help me with this please? Even if there is an alternative to shortening. I'm new to using fondant so don't want to mess up, esp because i'm going to be making a celebration cake soon to feed 60+ guests. Please Help xx


Can you buy Trex? Apparently this is solid white vegetable fat in the UK...
post #18 of 37
White Flora is similar to shortening and easier to use than Trex. I find Trex a bit too solid- White Flora is a softer consistency.
post #19 of 37
Thread Starter 
I am at Michaels right now and I am trying to find ingredients for fondant. God, I am so lost icon_wink.gif
post #20 of 37

We use purchased fondant (Renshaw). Consistent results, less bodily damage (less kneading), and, in the long run, cheaper - no clean up and fewer visits to the massage therapist.

post #21 of 37

Bonnie151 i've purchased Renshaws fondant, so would white flora or trex make it pilable but not too greasy?

post #22 of 37
Should do, just use a little bit at a time. I'm really not keen on Trex because I think it's too hard, but White Flora is nice and soft and easy to blend in.
post #23 of 37

I've just found Crisco online in a UK store, i can't believe it! I've ordered it so going to use that and see how it goes.

post #24 of 37

Marhsmallow fondant

1 bag of mini marshmallows

1 bag powder sugar

3 tblsp water

shortening

 

Pour marshmallows in microwave safe bowel. Add 3 tblsp water. Heat 2 min stopping every 30 sec to stir. Make sure you grease up your spoon with shortening because it does get sticky. Grease counter with shortening place a hefty pile of powder sugar on the greased counter and pour marshmallows on top of powder sugar. Grease up your hands with shortening real well. start with about 4 cups of sugar. work the sugar into marshmallow pile slowly at first because marshmallows will be hot.

When the mixture isn't sticky to the touch anymore you are done.

 

*Hint: If you want to add coloring to a whole batch you would do this by adding it to the marshmallows when it comes out of microwave. If you need several different colors leave it white and work color into each piece.
 

post #25 of 37

ashlya does it work with any marshmallows? We have some big chunky marshmallows here so wondering if i can use these instead of the mini ones.

post #26 of 37

i actually have more success with store brand than name brand. Maybe they have less air? Im not sure why.

post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustdust View Post

I am at Michaels right now and I am trying to find ingredients for fondant. God, I am so lost icon_wink.gif

Sorry, no help here! I make MFF, and the only thing I don't already have on hand is glycerin, and you can get that at Walmart. Since I do my caking at night, I find it is easier to just get use recipes that I can get the ingredients for at our 24 hour Walmart, rather than having to order, or go to specialty shops. I only go to Michaels for fun tools ;-)

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #28 of 37
Thread Starter 
I really like the Marshmallow Fondant to cover cakes with but (and this could be my fault too) it seems very soft when it comes to making figurines. Should I use a different fondant when I would like to make figurines ? Thank you icon_smile.gif
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustdust View Post

I really like the Marshmallow Fondant to cover cakes with but (and this could be my fault too) it seems very soft when it comes to making figurines. Should I use a different fondant when I would like to make figurines ? Thank you

Have you tried mixing it 50/50 with gumpaste? 

post #30 of 37
Thread Starter 
I used some marshmallow fondant today to make figurines and it worked really well. It almost seems like it needed to "rest" a couple of days icon_smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Make or buy Fondant