Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Do you use Ganache to cover cakes and how much do you charge?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you use Ganache to cover cakes and how much do you charge?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I've been having trouble getting crisp corners on my cakes using buttercream under fondant.  The buttercream just doesn't hold it's shape and ends up all rounded.  I've heard that ganache really makes great corners, but it seems like it would cost a ton more to make.  Anyone use this on all their cakes and how much more do you charge than buttercream?

post #2 of 9

I think the first thing you must do is a cost comparison. Price out the difference and then add for your labor. In my area, dairy is very expensive, but cream is MORE expensive than butter, and for some reason, I need more ganache than buttercream when I cover a cake. You may also find that creating that razor sharp edge gives your cakes a professional appearance which would naturally make people want to spend more. 

 

 

bottom line, you have to look at your costs and decide. 

post #3 of 9
Is it bad form to ganache just the corners?
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake View Post

Is it bad form to ganache just the corners?

Yes. I would be like icon_confused.gif if I ordered a cake and saw that.

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla View Post

I think the first thing you must do is a cost comparison. Price out the difference and then add for your labor. In my area, dairy is very expensive, but cream is MORE expensive than butter, and for some reason, I need more ganache than buttercream when I cover a cake. You may also find that creating that razor sharp edge gives your cakes a professional appearance which would naturally make people want to spend more. 

 

 

bottom line, you have to look at your costs and decide. 

This is a good answer! I know a batch of buttercream costs me about $9, and an almost equal amount of whipped  ganache cost me about $12, but I find it MUCH harder to work with, so cost alone would not be the only factor, for me. Time is money.

 

And every time I see your screen name, it makes me say Aww! It is so cute! Maybe because I associate it with Ella the Elephant books and she is so sweet. I picture her baking, with a little chef cap ;-)

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #6 of 9

thank you! I had to abandon the name when I reopened to avoid conflict with former business partners, but I love it so much!!

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla View Post

thank you! I had to abandon the name when I reopened to avoid conflict with former business partners, but I love it so much!!

That stinks :-( I assumed it was your name? 

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #8 of 9

My sister's daughter is Ella and it just came naturally. The rhyme, the whimsy and sweetness were just right! *sigh*

 

I"m Jennifer

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla View Post

My sister's daughter is Ella and it just came naturally. The rhyme, the whimsy and sweetness were just right! *sigh*

 

I"m Jennifer

Jennifer is a good name. There were at least 3 in all my classes, growing up, so obviously it is a great name! ;-D (And we must be about the same age thirty-*COUGH!!* )


Edited by Annabakescakes - 2/15/13 at 10:52am
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Do you use Ganache to cover cakes and how much do you charge?