Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Renting A Church Kitchen, Advice Needed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Renting A Church Kitchen, Advice Needed - Page 2

post #16 of 62

there's a lady who comes on here sometimes and mentions a web site where you can get business plan help

 

yeah i found it http://cakecentral.com/t/752346/business-plan

 

now some of them cost yah but some of them might be free--i don't know--but there is that

 

and then s.c.o.r.e.?

 

and i paid $75 for a score seminar thing whatever--yes i got the $75 joke

 

the session with the lawyer--he about swallowed his tongue when i said you could incorporate yourself--he wanted to get us all signed up to let him do the incorporation paperwork--phffft -- and this way before legalzoom etc.

 

good for you you found out and kept your $75 too!

 

i think it's just a good ole boys club--maybe not everywhere but useless/clueless garage sale fodder crabby old men--and maybe there's some women in there but none here at that time

 

s.c.o.r.e. sounds great--looks good on paper but it is pretty anemic/lethargic imo

 

i'm still pissed at that pushy lawyer! icon_biggrin.gif

 

but anyway--sounds like you need to trim your spending and offer a product that will be more in line with the prices you can garner

 

there is no hope for a clientele with a more discerning palate/pocketbook?

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply
post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyCakes4Us View Post

Mpls Mn
Question, how do bakery's such as Mexican bakery's that accept Ebt make a profit? The one by my house sells. Cakes at $20 a pop! Then again their cakes are not the best to be honest..

There are more than 3 million people in your metro area, sounds like you need to do some serious research to find out where people are willing to pay for quality. If you are not in an affluent area you may need to target your advertising farther away.

How much are you currently paying for your commercial kitchen rental?

The Mexican bakery may or may not be making a profit on that $20 cake. It could be a loss leader, or they may just not know how to set prices based on costs. Or they could be efficient and focus on volume with cheap ingredients and cheap labor: if it takes a minimum wage worker 1 hour to make that $20 cake, ingredients cost $4, and per-order overhead is another $4, their cost for the cake would be $16, which leaves a healthy 25% markup for profit.
post #18 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post

there's a lady who comes on here sometimes and mentions a web site where you can get business plan help

yeah i found it http://cakecentral.com/t/752346/business-plan

now some of them cost yah but some of them might be free--i don't know--but there is that

and then s.c.o.r.e.?

and i paid $75 for a score seminar thing whatever--yes i got the $75 joke

the session with the lawyer--he about swallowed his tongue when i said you could incorporate yourself--he wanted to get us all signed up to let him do the incorporation paperwork--phffft -- and this way before legalzoom etc.

good for you you found out and kept your $75 too!

i think it's just a good ole boys club--maybe not everywhere but useless/clueless garage sale fodder crabby old men--and maybe there's some women in there but none here at that time

s.c.o.r.e. sounds great--looks good on paper but it is pretty anemic/lethargic imo

i'm still pissed at that pushy lawyer! icon_biggrin.gif

but anyway--sounds like you need to trim your spending and offer a product that will be more in line with the prices you can garner

there is no hope for a clientele with a more discerning palate/pocketbook?

Lol like the movie grumpy old men, "there is no hope for a clientele with a more discerning palate" what exactly does that mean haha.
post #19 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

There are more than 3 million people in your metro area, sounds like you need to do some serious research to find out where people are willing to pay for quality. If you are not in an affluent area you may need to target your advertising farther away.

How much are you currently paying for your commercial kitchen rental?

The Mexican bakery may or may not be making a profit on that $20 cake. It could be a loss leader, or they may just not know how to set prices based on costs. Or they could be efficient and focus on volume with cheap ingredients and cheap labor: if it takes a minimum wage worker 1 hour to make that $20 cake, ingredients cost $4, and per-order overhead is another $4, their cost for the cake would be $16, which leaves a healthy 25% markup for profit.



I was paying $10 a hour but they are not able to give me more then 3 hours a month so that does no good.. I found this church so far..
Minneapolis has so much competition, not so much with custom cakes although these bakery's do make custom cakes they shoot more towards cupcakes. Which i believe cupcakes would be my daily retail.
post #20 of 62
Thread Starter 
Now I have to figure out a way to brake away from being the cheapy cake lady lovely! Were should I start? Thanks for the tips btw!
post #21 of 62

With regard to the church, it might work to ask for two rental rates: one for baking, and one for just putting together cakes.

 

But you OP have been getting some strikingly similar feedback from business people, a church, and customers--they are just not taking you seriously. It's across the board.

 

So there is something that you are doing that people pick up on.  No I have no clue what, but it's coming across to ALL the people you deal with. Maybe you need to get a GED.  Maybe it's something more personal.  But you are not going to get any business off the ground until you can sort out your presentation.  Maybe you should ask the more friendly people at the church for advice--as they have been in face to face contact with you.

post #22 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene View Post

With regard to the church, it might work to ask for two rental rates: one for baking, and one for just putting together cakes.

But you OP have been getting some strikingly similar feedback from business people, a church, and customers--they are just not taking you seriously. It's across the board.

So there is something that you are doing that people pick up on.  No I have no clue what, but it's coming across to ALL the people you deal with. Maybe you need to get a GED.  Maybe it's something more personal.  But you are not going to get any business off the ground until you can sort out your presentation.  Maybe you should ask the more friendly people at the church for advice--as they have been in face to face contact with you.

A GED, are you serious? I have my high school diploma, that's a smack in the face. As for my presentation
I'm not by no means sloppy, I wear a custom made shirt with my business logo on it, black dress pants dress shoes, hair neat and make up perfect. I do however have trouble speaking, its almost like I'm in my very first interview so at times ill say something then think about it like why in the world did I say that? Well if its me there's not much I can say to be honest!

What give up just because people don't find me professional when I speak because lord knows I've been trying hard, I've went to the point of having my son record me and ask me cake related questions.. I just can't seem to get over the stage fright..

This site can really discourage a person, when its suppose to do just the opposite.
post #23 of 62
Irene wasn't telling you to give up, her advice was to look for a common thread that could be adversely affecting others' perception of you. It sounds like you already have a pretty good idea what that is, so you're halfway there.

Luckily there is an organization tailor-made to address your issue: Toastmasters. Join your local Toastmasters club and if you are serious about it you are pretty much guaranteed to improve your speaking skills.
post #24 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

Irene wasn't telling you to give up, her advice was to look for a common thread that could be adversely affecting others' perception of you. It sounds like you already have a pretty good idea what that is, so you're halfway there.

Luckily there is an organization tailor-made to address your issue: Toastmasters. Join your local Toastmasters club and if you are serious about it you are pretty much guaranteed to improve your speaking skills.



Toastmasters? Ill look it up thanks!

Question, do you see anything wrong with my typing skills? Hay mite as well ask while I'm at it.
post #25 of 62

opposition (perceived or real) is a built in part of building a new business

 

that part of your venture is a given--you gotta be tough and you gotta deflect it and push on

 

moses coouldn't talk too good either--so what-- put it on a list to improve it if you want --done move on

 

toastmasters is a great idea but it's not bottom line essential to your business

 

if you were going to be a bakery consultant--yes you need oratorical skills

 

your product will speak for you if you can figure out what it is and market that and get it out there

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

what i meant up-thread about a clientele with a better palate/pocketbook is what Jason said about targeting/marketing a client base that wants your product and can afford you

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

a huge thing here is you gotta zero in and focus focus focus

 

  • doing high end cakes

 

  • doing retail cupcakes

 

 

that's two different businesses


Edited by -K8memphis - 2/7/13 at 6:45am

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply
post #26 of 62
Thread Starter 
Let me know what you think..

Let's just say this is for starters and starters ONLY.

3.50 Per serving,


10 dozen of cupcakes a month at 2.00 per cupcake-960.00
3- 8" cakes a week- 600.00 a month
2- Two tier cakes a week, one being 40 serving, other 100- 1,960 a month
2 Wedding cakes a MONTH - 1,050 a month

Total 4,570 a month
- 720 renting the kitchen a month
-240 for cupcake ingredients
-120.00 8" ingredients
-100.00 two tier ingredients
-120.00 wedding cake ingredients
-900.00 house rent
-100 electric
-55.00 phone
-300.00 food
-100.00 car

Leaves me with 1,640 profit..

That's not terrific or anything but it would work for start up, as for marketing ill go the cheapy routes,flyers,business cards word to mouth,website,Google,Facebook,heck even door to door handing out flyers on the door knob. Etc etc
post #27 of 62

the $720 kitchen rent

 

if it was @$15/hr that's 48 hours of kitchen time

 

so you can produce all that in 48 hours?

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply
post #28 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyCakes4Us View Post


10 dozen of cupcakes a month at 2.00 per cupcake-960.00
 

 

Did you mean 10 dozen a month, or 10 dozen a week?.

 

maybe i need more coffee - but my calculation 10 * 12 * 2 is $240 - not 960.

 

if it was 10 dozen a week, 40 for the month, then the $960 makes sense.

post #29 of 62

Well I guess this thread is going to crawl along. The OP's typing speaks for itself.

 

Dress pants and dress shoes are the traditional "uniform" of office workers.

 

High end catering and restaurant servers wear flat black shoes.  Their black trousers may be cut in different styles but more along the lines of Dockers. I'm talking about the folks who do the actual work going in and out of the kitchen.

 

Go into any bakery--the staff will uniformly be wearing flat shoes to work safely in a place where stuff spills on the floor.  The bakers wear either the white/grey chefs checked pants, or they wear white or khaki Dockers. The workers who handle the heavy jobs will be wearing steel toed shoes.

 

You have to dress like your chosen industry to be considered a part of that industry.  If your footwear and fingernails don't match your choice of trade, then you just won't get a toe in the foor.  Plain and simple.  And you OP can feel as insulted as you like but I am telling you God's own truth about the working world.

post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyCakes4Us View Post

...as for marketing ill go the cheapy routes,flyers,business cards word to mouth,website,Google,Facebook,heck even door to door handing out flyers on the door knob. Etc etc

 

 

i suggest you target your market

 

go to like minded vendors, florists, caterers who do not do cakes, bridal dress shops, venues, churches etc.

 

shoot your arrows at the ones who are already like minded

 

but you have two focuses here--the retail small potatoes and the high end tier cakes--where is your focus?

 

how can you retail out of a borrowed space?

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Renting A Church Kitchen, Advice Needed