Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Buttercream, white?????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buttercream, white????? - Page 2

post #16 of 28

I make BC with all butter (yellow and full fat) and bourbon vanilla. 

 

I add in a few scant drops of violet gel/paste color and I get a lovely white BC with no change in flavor or consistency.  Such an easy fix.

 

Rae

I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 

Thank you very much all, very sweet to take the time to reply, and have given me a lot to think about and loads of new things to try icon_biggrin.gif

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecake View Post

If you use full fat butter it can be quite yellow. Try using a low fat butter. A farmer said its what the cows eat that determine how yellow it is. You have to find the right brand, my cake supplier in Sydney knows a particular brand, which ofcorse I've forgotten.

 

True, ever notice how organic butter tends to be more yellow in the summer? Regular commercial butter does also, but the difference is less noticeable.

 

Wilton makes something called White-White icing color which they say is for making butter based icings whiter. Americolor makes something similar. Has anyone tried either?

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariel9898 View Post

 

True, ever notice how organic butter tends to be more yellow in the summer? Regular commercial butter does also, but the difference is less noticeable.

 

Wilton makes something called White-White icing color which they say is for making butter based icings whiter. Americolor makes something similar. Has anyone tried either?

Yes I have and it changes the taste of your frosting--and I don't care for the color it makes...almost like spackling  compound...not a pretty clean white.

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply
post #20 of 28

I'm definitely with "Annabakescakes" on this one: I use all butter, and all real vanilla, and let the color be what it is. If I'm doing maple or maple-cinnamon buttercream, I do it with real Vermont B (for the robustness; any of the A grades would get lost in all the powdered sugar!), and for strawberry, I use strawberry jam (along with a bit of strawberry extract). I haven't yet gotten to the point of grinding my own cinnamon, though, although back in first or second grade, I once participated in a class exercise of churning our own butter.

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply
post #21 of 28

I use a recipe from the Wilton forums, it uses an even mix of butter and shortening.  The first step is to beat the two together for 6-7 minutes, just let it run with the stand mixer.    It turns them  white.  I have no idea why/how that happens, but it does.  Might be something you could try with your recipe.

post #22 of 28

how long are you beating your butter?  I know that the longer I beat the butter it seems that the butter lightens up.  I wonder if beating longer would help, or if there is just a point where it is too yellow to lighten up enough. 

post #23 of 28

Here is a link where there is the recipe and a number of followup questions and answers about the recipe.
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=132579
The butter and shortening are beaten for 7-8 minutes on a KA speed 6 or 4 if using a beater blade. 

post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann View Post

how long are you beating your butter?  I know that the longer I beat the butter it seems that the butter lightens up.  I wonder if beating longer would help, or if there is just a point where it is too yellow to lighten up enough. 

I do beat it for a VERY long time ( i have never act timed it) but I like my btc quite fluffy, its just the butter I buy is pure yellow, this does not bother me for filling in cakes etc but as sometimes I find royal icing a bit hard to work with I was wondering how so many got their btc so white when mine is always yellow, I reallu dont want to change my recipe as it is very nice and tasty so I will try some of the suggestions about adding violet etc, ty :)

post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl View Post

I'm definitely with "Annabakescakes" on this one: I use all butter, and all real vanilla, and let the color be what it is. If I'm doing maple or maple-cinnamon buttercream, I do it with real Vermont B (for the robustness; any of the A grades would get lost in all the powdered sugar!), and for strawberry, I use strawberry jam (along with a bit of strawberry extract). I haven't yet gotten to the point of grinding my own cinnamon, though, although back in first or second grade, I once participated in a class exercise of churning our own butter.
we churned butter in the 2nd grade at Sopori Elementary School in Amado, Arizona. I loved doing it and it is a strong memory! We used tinker toys for the paddle and a small coffee can with a hole in the lid. When we were done, we spread on saltine crackers, and it was gross! Lol, the teacher said it needed salt. I have talked about it several times over the last 25 years and and no one I know did that exercise, funny you did, too!
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #26 of 28

Amado huh? That's an area of AZ I haven't explored much. That and the Northeastern part. Is it pretty? Looks like it's higher elevation desert like Tucson?

post #27 of 28

When I need "white as possible" SMBC, I just don't add any vanilla. And it does *not* taste like a stick of butter. I know some do, but not mine...yummy.

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Amado huh? That's an area of AZ I haven't explored much. That and the Northeastern part. Is it pretty? Looks like it's higher elevation desert like Tucson?
I It is so beautiful! Natural Rick formations and cliffs and things. I remember when I was riding in the car with my grandma, she pointed out the sky was blue that if she were paint the exact color if it in one of her paintings, no one would believe her! I was born in Tucson, at Pima Co. Hospital. My grandpa was an engineer at Chamberlain, in the Mexico side of Nogales. (Which was a ghetto back then, even.)

Oh, and to stay on track, I have used Americolor's white icing color in my fondant successfully, but not so much in my buttercream.
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Buttercream, white?????