Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Another Price Question, but this one I have no idea where to start
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another Price Question, but this one I have no idea where to start - Page 2

post #16 of 41

I don't mean to be a buzz-kill, but do you have the skill-set to do this type of cake?  I looked at your photos and I didn't see anything near this size and scope.  This is a huge cake and while the base cake (sans flowers) looks 'simple' (fondant with ribbon)...it can be very difficult to produce with such precision even for the most experienced decorator.  Stacking, delivery...the flowers...  I'm all for 'going for it', but keep in mind this is a wedding cake--the centerpiece of the reception--and the bride is expecting you to produce the picture she gave you (or at least something pretty darn close). 

 

I had a friend of mine hand me a picture of a Ron Ben Israel cake once and ask if I could do it.   I said if I could do cakes like Ron Ben I wouldn't be doing them as a hobby and she damn sure wouldn't be able to afford me! 

 

Just be certain you can do it before you say yes and give a quote.    Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply
post #17 of 41
Thread Starter 

carmijok:  No buzz kill.  Totally legitimate comment, and I have thought of this myself.  I have gotten a lot better at fondanting, etc., so I feel that I would be able to do it.  However, I just found out, she is getting married end of Feb in 2014, not 2013.  A little far ahead for a cake order right? 

post #18 of 41

Well at least you'll have time to practice, lol.

I wouldn't price a cake that far out.  You could always give them a ballpark but tell them that since you cannot predict grocery prices over a year in advance the price is subject to change.

thumbs_up.gif
 

Tact is telling someone where to go so nicely they can't wait to take the trip!
Reply
Tact is telling someone where to go so nicely they can't wait to take the trip!
Reply
post #19 of 41
Here I wad thinking really that's a really beautiful cake and if they were waiting until right now to find the cake decorator would be crazy.
post #20 of 41

I would estimate that there are around 50 large roses on that cake. I have had to make this number for several different wedding cakes, and you will need to add a signigicant charge to your cake. I would recommend you use fine flower picks on each stem, and insert directly into the cake, rather than creating a wired cascade that then attaches to the cake.

 

If you do not wish to make them from sugar, I would recommend using silk. If you are concerned about silk touching your buttercream you can poke the stem through a circle of waxed paper or silicone paper before pushing the posy pick (or straw) into the cake.

 

Hope this helps!

 

PS I also would suggest ordering a spare 10 roses in case you need extras here and there to balance the look.

Life's too short to make cake pops.
___________________________________
www.sweetperfection.com.au

www.sweetperfectioncakes.blogspot.com.au/
www.facebook.com/sweetperfectioncakes (come visit sometime!)

Reply

Life's too short to make cake pops.
___________________________________
www.sweetperfection.com.au

www.sweetperfectioncakes.blogspot.com.au/
www.facebook.com/sweetperfectioncakes (come visit sometime!)

Reply
post #21 of 41

My two cents............first, for 200 people you don't need a 5 tier giant cake, like the photo exhibited. So the proportions in the photograph are not realistic of what you'll make them, unless you're make a couple fake tiers (and consider fake tiers are super easy to place flowers into).

 

For me those would be 4" tall cakes, I do 4 layers for that (it's my standard wedding cake size).

 

That's not a hard cake to do! The cake itself is plain fondant with a ribbon around the base of each tier...........are you guys looking at a different photo then I got? If you can't do a plain cake like that you shouldn't be selling any cakes.

 

Consider that the bulk of the flowers weight is on the bottom of the design. You could place your flowers into a "base" of floral foam (not wet) covered in the back for contact with the frosting, for the two bottom tiers. I'd wrap my flowers in saran wrap and insert directly into the cake for the top tiers. Then compensate for the lost servings where the flowers were poked into the cake.

 

The number of flowers depends upon the size of the flowers and the size of the cake. You can't count flowers until you establish the size of the cake and the flower type.

 

I would never purchase the flowers/provide the flowers for a cake like this. I'd make them buy them, period, so they are responsible for the quality of the flowers............and god knows how much those flowers might cost more then a year into the future. What if there's a weather problem and the flowers are $30. per stem....you can't give a quote on flowers that far into the future.

 

My experience with people looking for quotes so far in advance isn't great. Until things become more realistic, it's all just a day dream for this bride. The odds of her buying exactly what she wants quoted this minute is too low to waste your time. I'd just give her a ball park idea of what it might cost and leave it at that until it's closer to the wedding.

post #22 of 41

All that is is a cake with fresh roses on it. You should plan for about an hour at the site setting it up and attaching the roses on it with buttercream. You won't need any special flower tubes or water anything, roses hold up well enough on their own. Just put the big ones on the ledges of the tiers first, then kind of prop the ones at the top of the tiers on the ones below as you set it up. Glue them onto the cake with icing. It isn't going to be difficult, just kind of time-consuming.

post #23 of 41

And yes, that's kind of far out to be booking a cake, but not that far, I book up to a year or so ahead of time, and February isn't that far away!

post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita View Post

That cake is awful tall you might want to take a stepping stool with you to the venue so you can work on the top of the cake without s problem

What a terrific idea!

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok View Post

I don't mean to be a buzz-kill, but do you have the skill-set to do this type of cake?  I looked at your photos and I didn't see anything near this size and scope.  This is a huge cake and while the base cake (sans flowers) looks 'simple' (fondant with ribbon)...it can be very difficult to produce with such precision even for the most experienced decorator.  Stacking, delivery...the flowers...  I'm all for 'going for it', but keep in mind this is a wedding cake--the centerpiece of the reception--and the bride is expecting you to produce the picture she gave you (or at least something pretty darn close). 

 

I had a friend of mine hand me a picture of a Ron Ben Israel cake once and ask if I could do it.   I said if I could do cakes like Ron Ben I wouldn't be doing them as a hobby and she damn sure wouldn't be able to afford me! 

 

Just be certain you can do it before you say yes and give a quote.    Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

That is hilarious, and SO TRUE!

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post

That's not a hard cake to do! The cake itself is plain fondant with a ribbon around the base of each tier...........are you guys looking at a different photo then I got? If you can't do a plain cake like that you shouldn't be selling any cakes.
If the customer wants a real ribbon then it's not too bad, but if the ribbon is made out of fondant it can be a pain to get just right. In either case it's certainly worth more than $3.50/serving.
Quote:
My experience with people looking for quotes so far in advance isn't great. Until things become more realistic, it's all just a day dream for this bride. The odds of her buying exactly what she wants quoted this minute is too low to waste your time. I'd just give her a ball park idea of what it might cost and leave it at that until it's closer to the wedding.
I don't think it's too far in advance, at the very least OP should collect a non-refundable deposit to hold the date based on what the price would be today, with the understanding that the price may change.
post #27 of 41
Kara (costumeczar): Just to clarify quickly - when I mentioned posy picks, I mean using the cheap small ones which are the width of a small straw, and about 2" long with one sealed end that goes into the cake. They don't hold water, they are to stabilise and precisely position flowers on a cake. The OP said the bride wanted a deep blue rose or peony arrangement, hence one option is to make sugar roses. I personally don't trust stacking sugar roses on cake ledges and then balancing additional ones on top.

These flower picks (which come in various sizes) are awesome for positioning any kind of flower, without worrying some numpty is going to bump the table or - god forbid - touch the bloody flowers to "see if they're real" icon_smile.gif And much simpler and easier than using straws with plugs of fondant, Saran Wrap or parafilm.

Stitches: you said its too large a cake for 200 guests, and to use two cake dummies for the lower tiers, but a 6/8/10/12/14 serves 206 in 4" tall tiers, so I'm not sure how you're calculating your servings??

Life's too short to make cake pops.
___________________________________
www.sweetperfection.com.au

www.sweetperfectioncakes.blogspot.com.au/
www.facebook.com/sweetperfectioncakes (come visit sometime!)

Reply

Life's too short to make cake pops.
___________________________________
www.sweetperfection.com.au

www.sweetperfectioncakes.blogspot.com.au/
www.facebook.com/sweetperfectioncakes (come visit sometime!)

Reply
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir View Post

Kara (costumeczar): Just to clarify quickly - when I mentioned posy picks, I mean using the cheap small ones which are the width of a small straw, and about 2" long with one sealed end that goes into the cake. They don't hold water, they are to stabilise and precisely position flowers on a cake. The OP said the bride wanted a deep blue rose or peony arrangement, hence one option is to make sugar roses. I personally don't trust stacking sugar roses on cake ledges and then balancing additional ones on top.
 

I've done loads of cakes with flowers stuck on with icing and nothing has ever happened, but the picks would give you some extra insurance, definitely. I just think it's time spent that isn't necessary if you have to get to the reception site, attach the picks to the flowers, then insert them. If I was making gumpaste I'd insert the ones in the sides of the cake with some kind of toothpick to keep them there, but with fresh flowers (which I don't like using anyway because of the pesticides and dirt) they're easy to jam in amongst each other so you can get them to stay where they need to be without inserting anything.

 

Regardless, I agree that you defintiely don't need the ones that hold water, that's total overkill for roses. As long as they're n water up to the point that you put them on the cake they'll be fine for the time they're on the cake.

post #29 of 41

Yes so have I previously but now we know that there are flowers that are poisonous and there are products used on and with flowers that are toxic-- so we get the choice now to use the information we have to provide as safe a product as possible. There might be a guest with impaired health or a very young or very old one.

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply

if you had your own tv show what would be your favorite commercial/sponsor

i think i'd like ghirardelli and hershey for starters...

Reply
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post


I don't think it's too far in advance, at the very least OP should collect a non-refundable deposit to hold the date based on what the price would be today, with the understanding that the price may change.

Yes, I would totally take a deposit to hold the date. To clarify, I find people change their minds about their design over a long time period. There's too many factors that can change in that long of a time span, that it's not fair to be locked into a price quote. Perhaps the bride really loves your work and is just concerned that you'll be available for her.

 

The cake in the photo appears t have real ribbon borders, not fondant. Yes, fondant borders are far more difficult then real ribbon. Real ribbon is a breeze to use!

 

I've started a thread here before talking about servings.............it is a extremely subjective topic. I've been instructed by one Chef I sell to, that he gets 140 servings out of a 14" & 10" cake, he sends home the top 6" layer so it's not counted into the servings. I don't follow any-ones elses chart religiously............

 

I peeked at Costumeczar's blog where she shows a photograph of a mass plating of cake servings. That's what I've seen cut 99% of the time by Chefs. They cut thin to be certain there is enough, they don't care if there is extra or if people get a slightly smaller portion, their motto is "cover thy butt". Left over cake isn't a problem ever, not enough is their worry.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Another Price Question, but this one I have no idea where to start