Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things NOT to ask/say to a baker! - Page 62

post #916 of 2784

That's right!  No undercutting, run along now!

post #917 of 2784
I sure hope you set her straight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird68 View Post


Ummmm... I've been doing this for over 25 years... gone are the days of freebie cakes...and I'm not trying to undercut anyone. You either want to pay me for the cake or you don't.  Not concerned with bowing down and begging for you business.. run along now... I have a paying customer to attend to. icon_smile.gif lol

I'm absolutely not sure if because she had never been in my circle before and didn't know I was a baker she assumed my son's was the first cake I'd ever made???  

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #918 of 2784

I love it when a bride and groom sit down for a taste test, wave their hands over the many cake combinations and say "How do you DO this".  How the heck do you think I did it.  I get up early on the day of your taste test and get busy baking.  Sigh...................................

 

Or the bride who shows up for a taste test and announces that her guest count has been cut in half, she doesn't know where she's having her reception and that they're being married an hour and a half away on a hot August day instead of locally and that the groom insists on ganache on the cake - oh and the restaurant they have in mind isn't air-conditioned.  .My response............................. Cancelled!!!!!!!

post #919 of 2784
My worst one is "I can't justify paying that for a cake" I had a friend of mine ask if I could do a me to you bear 3D cake with only 5 days notice. Then he asked for a price. Now I wouldn't say our cakes are expensive as we work from home and don't have the overheads a shop with staff would have so that cake carved from a 12" square would normally cost £70 but I told him £50 as he's a friend. Then the response came, "I know you're cakes are good but I can't justify paying that for a cake. Not when you can get cakes like that in a supermarket for £20" my reply was "You better get yourself down to the supermarket then."
post #920 of 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird68 View Post

Ugh...don't get me started!  I have been making cakes for over 25 years and this funny thing recently happened to me.

 

My son recently got married and I made his cake ... of course.... :).  Their wedding coordinator whom I've known 'of' since she was a teenager was just as sweet as could be and began recommending me to her soon to be married couples.  After a few of them had come for tastings and interviews, she sent me a lengthy email detailing some "feedback" from them.  She noted that as a "new baker" they felt I was overpriced and not cheaper than any of the local cake shops. 

 

Ummmm... I've been doing this for over 25 years... gone are the days of freebie cakes...and I'm not trying to undercut anyone. You either want to pay me for the cake or you don't.  Not concerned with bowing down and begging for you business.. run along now... I have a paying customer to attend to. :) lol

 

I'm absolutely not sure if because she had never been in my circle before and didn't know I was a baker she assumed my son's was the first cake I'd ever made???  

Weird...Did you write back to her and say that you'd been doing cakes for 25 years, which doesn't exactly qualify you as "new?" I bet she thought you were just starting a business and was telling her clients that you were cheap, so they thought you were more expensive than she'd been talking you up to be. Maybe you could educate her about custom cakes, since she obviously doesn't know what that is!

post #921 of 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy85 View Post

My worst one is "I can't justify paying that for a cake" I had a friend of mine ask if I could do a me to you bear 3D cake with only 5 days notice. Then he asked for a price. Now I wouldn't say our cakes are expensive as we work from home and don't have the overheads a shop with staff would have so that cake carved from a 12" square would normally cost £70 but I told him £50 as he's a friend. Then the response came, "I know you're cakes are good but I can't justify paying that for a cake. Not when you can get cakes like that in a supermarket for £20" my reply was "You better get yourself down to the supermarket then."

Let him go to the supermarket, he can't get a cake like that there. He can get a cheaper cake but it won't be the same thing.

post #922 of 2784
I know. Unfortunately you can't reason with people with that attitude so I just left it there. This guy is a joiner by trade. Perhaps I should ask him to make me a hand crafted table and when he gives me a price I can tell him I can get one cheaper from Ikea.
post #923 of 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy85 View Post

I know. Unfortunately you can't reason with people with that attitude so I just left it there. This guy is a joiner by trade. Perhaps I should ask him to make me a hand crafted table and when he gives me a price I can tell him I can get one cheaper from Ikea.
Perfect example! Love it!
post #924 of 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy85 View Post

My worst one is "I can't justify paying that for a cake" I had a friend of mine ask if I could do a me to you bear 3D cake with only 5 days notice. Then he asked for a price. Now I wouldn't say our cakes are expensive as we work from home and don't have the overheads a shop with staff would have so that cake carved from a 12" square would normally cost £70 but I told him £50 as he's a friend. Then the response came, "I know you're cakes are good but I can't justify paying that for a cake. Not when you can get cakes like that in a supermarket for £20" my reply was "You better get yourself down to the supermarket then."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post

Let him go to the supermarket, he can't get a cake like that there. He can get a cheaper cake but it won't be the same thing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy85 View Post

I know. Unfortunately you can't reason with people with that attitude so I just left it there. This guy is a joiner by trade. Perhaps I should ask him to make me a hand crafted table and when he gives me a price I can tell him I can get one cheaper from Ikea.

Oh, please, please do it! And then take a quick picture of his face when he puts 2 and 2 together, and realizes how silly he was being!

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #925 of 2784

What a laugh Bluebird.  She will have seen a ton of wedding cakes, as a planner,  and the fact that she asked you to do cakes for people shows that she thought you were good.  Does she think that happens overnight? I suspect she was looking for a cheap source of cakes.

post #926 of 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post


Oh, please, please do it! And then take a quick picture of his face when he puts 2 and 2 together, and realizes how silly he was being!

Haha. Yeah I'll have to ask the next time I see him.
post #927 of 2784
I actually did the same kind of thing to my friend's daughter, who is an excellent knitter. She was saying that a cake mix is pretty much the same as scratch, so I told her it was like saying a hand-knit sweater was the same as a sweater from the Gap. She got a look on her face and said "oooooh, I get it." You have to put things in language that the person you're talking to will understand.
post #928 of 2784
I don't think people realize that when we first start out doing cakes because its cheaper than buying them, we mean the high end custom $5 a serving prices not the grocery store prices.
elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #929 of 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts View Post

I sure hope you set her straight!

LOL...I did.  I really did try to be kind and professional, but I wanted to be clear with her that I'm not trying to get more business than I already have.  I bake at home, I get most of my business from referralls and people who have seen or tasted my cakes at other events.  She kept using the term "constructive feedback"... hmmm... sounds a bit more like "constructive criticism" to me. :) 

I haven't had any more referralls from her since then... oh well.. I'm still doin' fine. :)

~Good Cake Ain't Cheap ... And Cheap Cake Ain't Good~
Reply
~Good Cake Ain't Cheap ... And Cheap Cake Ain't Good~
Reply
post #930 of 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH View Post

I love it when a bride and groom sit down for a taste test, wave their hands over the many cake combinations and say "How do you DO this".  How the heck do you think I did it.  I get up early on the day of your taste test and get busy baking.  Sigh...................................

 

Or the bride who shows up for a taste test and announces that her guest count has been cut in half, she doesn't know where she's having her reception and that they're being married an hour and a half away on a hot August day instead of locally and that the groom insists on ganache on the cake - oh and the restaurant they have in mind isn't air-conditioned.  .My response............................. Cancelled!!!!!!!

LOLOL...oh this made me laugh... yup. :)  Love your response. :)

~Good Cake Ain't Cheap ... And Cheap Cake Ain't Good~
Reply
~Good Cake Ain't Cheap ... And Cheap Cake Ain't Good~
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!