Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things NOT to ask/say to a baker! - Page 162

post #2416 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat View Post
 
I am a model and there will be a bunch of us taking pictures with the cake.
 

Who doesn´t have their picture taken with their cake? Just because it ends up on their Facebook page and they might mention that the cake was made by jenmat, doesn´t entitle them to "cut costs", model or no model. Silly woman!!

post #2417 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixs247 View Post

lol.. this is what happened a few weeks ago.

Customer: I need a 2-3 Tier Wedding Cake
Me: So will that be a 2 Tier or 3 Tier Cake?
Customer: hmmm....3 Tier 
Me: Ok, so can you advise me of the Bride & Grooms Colour Theme
Customer: The Groom is Black and his Bride is White!!!
that is too funny
post #2418 of 2803

Here is another one I got over Christmas season.

 

Customer: "I want to order a cake for Christmas. How much is it going to be?"

Me: "What kind of cake are you looking for and what is your budget?"

Customer: "I don't have a budget, I just need a price. There will be 20 people eating."

Me: "Okay, our cakes start at such n such price."

Customer: "That's too much. I was thinking like $20.00. Can you throw in some free cupcakes too, I know bakers always have that stuff lying around."

Me: "No, here is the price. You can try a grocery store instead."

Customer: "Do they give away free cupcakes too? That would be cheaper."

Me: 'smacks forehead'

 

This was really a conversation from a customer..... sighs.

post #2419 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak3m0m View Post
 

Here is another one I got over Christmas season.

 

Customer: "I want to order a cake for Christmas. How much is it going to be?"

Me: "What kind of cake are you looking for and what is your budget?"

Customer: "I don't have a budget, I just need a price. There will be 20 people eating."

Me: "Okay, our cakes start at such n such price."

Customer: "That's too much. I was thinking like $20.00. Can you throw in some free cupcakes too, I know bakers always have that stuff lying around."

Me: "No, here is the price. You can try a grocery store instead."

Customer: "Do they give away free cupcakes too? That would be cheaper."

Me: 'smacks forehead'

 

This was really a conversation from a customer..... sighs.

Ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!!!!!  Yes, we always have stuff lying around that we want to just get rid of for free!!!!  And I'm sure the grocery store will be happy to give away free cupcakes!  All you have to do is ask!

 

Thanks for the great laugh this morning!

post #2420 of 2803
We are having a Mother's Expo in our area in a month. Lots of vendors and shopping. I was asked if I wanted a booth and the cost is $30. I said I would get back to her. She pmed me on Facebook, and said that she had a proposition for me: trade the $30 booth fee for cake. Ok, sounds like something I may consider...I ask her what she had in mind, and she said 3 full sheet cakes or enough to feed 150 people!!! Ummmmm...no! For $30 I was thinking a very small cake and that is still cheap for me to do it. She would have to give me the space and pay me a significant amount on top of that for such a large amount of cake. I told her that it wasn't doable so she let me know she would find someone else. I told her that was fine with me. icon_wink.gif
post #2421 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybearsbaby View Post

... trade the $30 booth fee for cake... 3 full sheet cakes or enough to feed 150 people!!!  

 

Clearly someone who has absolutely no idea about ingredient costs and labor. You can try educating her; or wait until a "cheap cake lady" agrees because it's such a great deal!

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply
post #2422 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix View Post

Clearly someone who has absolutely no idea about ingredient costs and labor. You can try educating her; or wait until a "cheap cake lady" agrees because it's such a great deal!
Lol that's what I was thinking. I just let her try to find someone else because I don't think she will get that cheap from anyone, even a supermarket, because that is a lot of cake for $30 icon_wink.gif And if she were to get someone to agree to those terms, I feel sorry for that baker because he or she will definitely be getting the bad end of that deal.
post #2423 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybearsbaby View Post


... I feel sorry for that baker because he or she will definitely be getting the bad end of that deal.

 

I no longer feel sorry for that type of baker. I've been on CC for several years now and have seen posts by numerous "ignorant" members. I can guarantee that many folks (members and lurkers) truly believe it is a great deal. And they will fight anyone who tells them otherwise.

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply
post #2424 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix View Post

I no longer feel sorry for that type of baker. I've been on CC for several years now and have seen posts by numerous "ignorant" members. I can guarantee that many folks (members and lurkers) truly believe it is a great deal. And they will fight anyone who tells them otherwise.
Good point. icon_smile.gif
post #2425 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak3m0m View Post
 

Here is another one I got over Christmas season.

 

Customer: "I want to order a cake for Christmas. How much is it going to be?"

Me: "What kind of cake are you looking for and what is your budget?"

Customer: "I don't have a budget, I just need a price. There will be 20 people eating."

Me: "Okay, our cakes start at such n such price."

Customer: "That's too much. I was thinking like $20.00. Can you throw in some free cupcakes too, I know bakers always have that stuff lying around."

Me: "No, here is the price. You can try a grocery store instead."

Customer: "Do they give away free cupcakes too? That would be cheaper."

Me: 'smacks forehead'

 

This was really a conversation from a customer..... sighs.


Speechless. I think I would have been very tempted to say, "yes, yes they do give away free cupcakes".

post #2426 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak3m0m View Post
 

Here is another one I got over Christmas season.

 

Customer: "I want to order a cake for Christmas. How much is it going to be?"

Me: "What kind of cake are you looking for and what is your budget?"

Customer: "I don't have a budget, I just need a price. There will be 20 people eating."

Me: "Okay, our cakes start at such n such price."

Customer: "That's too much. I was thinking like $20.00. Can you throw in some free cupcakes too, I know bakers always have that stuff lying around."

Me: "No, here is the price. You can try a grocery store instead."

Customer: "Do they give away free cupcakes too? That would be cheaper."

Me: 'smacks forehead'

 

This was really a conversation from a customer..... sighs.

:-? Yeah…you could totally do a cake for 20 people for $20 with free cupcakes. WTF?? LOL!!!! 

post #2427 of 2803
Ok, I have only just started - got myself legal, registered etc and I already have one...
Got an email from a girl who wants a cake for her granddad's birthday party - so I go back and ask the usual, portions flavour etc
She would like A cake for 20 people, fruit cake for the oldies and something chocolate for the young people...
Er.... Right...
post #2428 of 2803

From a thread by photographers talking about photogs who give away their product too cheaply...

 

" I once had a landlord who accepted "exposure" and "opportunity" instead of rent, but he lost the place to the bank because it was a terrible business decision."

 

 

LOL we aren't the only industry with this problem...

post #2429 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla View Post

From a thread by photographers talking about photogs who give away their product too cheaply...

" I once had a landlord who accepted "exposure" and "opportunity" instead of rent, but he lost the place to the bank because it was a terrible business decision."


LOL we aren't the only industry with this problem...
Lol! Love it!
post #2430 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaelisabethlee View Post

She would like A cake for 20 people, fruit cake for the oldies and something chocolate for the young people...
Er.... Right...

Sounds like a perfect situation for "the world's smallest 2-tier cake.":P

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!