Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things NOT to ask/say to a baker! - Page 77

post #1141 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 View Post

 

 

You just made my day!

post #1142 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post

If she says that she has to explain to her husband, tell her to tell him that some cars are Maseratis and some are Kias. Both are cars but that doesn't mean they're the same thing. Same things with a custom cake and a store-bought mass market cake. You have to put it in terms that the person listening can relate to.

My friend's daughter is an avid knitter, and she even spins her own wool. She was saying that to her the cakes from the store are the same thing as custom work, and I told her that was like saying that a hand-knit sweater was the same as one from the Gap. Her eyes got really big and she said "oooooh...Oh yeah, I see."


Wish I could come up with such clever answers when I'm dumbfounded and fuming over what they say! But truly I've learned to appreciate anyone and everyone who are passionate and truly proud of what they do. And sometimes it's even hard to just let my creativity do the magic when a order comes after such a conversation.
post #1143 of 2618
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 View Post

 


icon_biggrin.gif
post #1144 of 2618
Okay so this happened to me two weeks ago.. My friend wanted me to make her college graduation cake. She wanted it to be 3 tiered chevron for $70. HA! No. So her mom came in and started talking me down on prices and changing the design and size 50 times no joke. I almost just didn't do the cake. In the end they wanted 3 tiers of ombré roses in red and yellow. But more of a crimson and gold BUT not too crimson and not too gold. WTF?! So I make a beautiful cake exactly how they want it.. Her mom sends her sister to come pick it up. He sister places it in the passenger side of the car tilted and no one to hold it. I freak out and say it won't travel like that and she says this, "well its my a$$ if it doesn't make it there so it will!" so I let her be on her way.. The day after the graduation I get this email from my friends mom: Hannah, lindsey's cake was delicious. Everyone had great things to say about it. However, the bottom 2rows of icing had fallen off by the time it got to my house from yours. I thought you would want to know this so you could prevent it from happening to someone else. Also, the cupcakes were beautiful. Also I sent 2 pix of cake to your email. I was furious!! Who does that?!
post #1145 of 2618
@ hannahscakes I would have blown a fuse!!!!! You spent all that time making the cake and she tilts it in the car?! I really don't know how some of you guys do it!!
post #1146 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahscakes View Post

Okay so this happened to me two weeks ago.. My friend wanted me to make her college graduation cake. She wanted it to be 3 tiered chevron for $70. HA! No. So her mom came in and started talking me down on prices and changing the design and size 50 times no joke. I almost just didn't do the cake. In the end they wanted 3 tiers of ombré roses in red and yellow. But more of a crimson and gold BUT not too crimson and not too gold. WTF?! So I make a beautiful cake exactly how they want it.. Her mom sends her sister to come pick it up. He sister places it in the passenger side of the car tilted and no one to hold it. I freak out and say it won't travel like that and she says this, "well its my a$$ if it doesn't make it there so it will!" so I let her be on her way.. The day after the graduation I get this email from my friends mom: Hannah, lindsey's cake was delicious. Everyone had great things to say about it. However, the bottom 2rows of icing had fallen off by the time it got to my house from yours. I thought you would want to know this so you could prevent it from happening to someone else. Also, the cupcakes were beautiful. Also I sent 2 pix of cake to your email. I was furious!! Who does that?!

"Yeah, and I thought you should know that your stupid sister placed it in the car seat like a dumb B* after I told her not to. "

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #1147 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherox View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 
icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

post #1148 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahscakes View Post

Okay so this happened to me two weeks ago.. My friend wanted me to make her college graduation cake. She wanted it to be 3 tiered chevron for $70. HA! No. So her mom came in and started talking me down on prices and changing the design and size 50 times no joke. I almost just didn't do the cake. In the end they wanted 3 tiers of ombré roses in red and yellow. But more of a crimson and gold BUT not too crimson and not too gold. WTF?! So I make a beautiful cake exactly how they want it.. Her mom sends her sister to come pick it up. He sister places it in the passenger side of the car tilted and no one to hold it. I freak out and say it won't travel like that and she says this, "well its my a$$ if it doesn't make it there so it will!" so I let her be on her way.. The day after the graduation I get this email from my friends mom: Hannah, lindsey's cake was delicious. Everyone had great things to say about it. However, the bottom 2rows of icing had fallen off by the time it got to my house from yours. I thought you would want to know this so you could prevent it from happening to someone else. Also, the cupcakes were beautiful. Also I sent 2 pix of cake to your email. I was furious!! Who does that?!

You really need to reply to this. I would say something like, "I appreciate your nice comments...I am sorry the cake was not perfect. I was afraid that would happen when your sister placed the cake in the passenger seat and it was tilted and not flat. I warned her that it would not travel like that but she assured me she would take responsibility should something happen to it. Apparently she didn't. Please be aware that whenever a cake is picked up for delivery, it MUST be placed on a flat surface...not the front seat of the car where it can fall prey to tilting and sliding. I can't guarantee how it will arrive when my instructions are ignored. I'm glad you enjoyed it but sorry the delivery did not go well."

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply
post #1149 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherox View Post

icon_biggrin.gif

 

 

I don't understand the spoiler thing--I don't see anything.

There. Their. They're not the same.

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply

There. Their. They're not the same.

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply
post #1150 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok View Post


You really need to reply to this. I would say something like, "I appreciate your nice comments...I am sorry the cake was not perfect. I was afraid that would happen when your sister placed the cake in the passenger seat and it was tilted and not flat. I warned her that it would not travel like that but she assured me she would take responsibility should something happen to it. Apparently she didn't. Please be aware that whenever a cake is picked up for delivery, it MUST be placed on a flat surface...not the front seat of the car where it can fall prey to tilting and sliding. I can't guarantee how it will arrive when my instructions are ignored. I'm glad you enjoyed it but sorry the delivery did not go well."

Great response. Very professional and shifts the blame to the right person without sounding immature or like you're making excuses for your mistakes.

 

Quote:

Don't aspire to make a living, aspire to make a difference.

 

 

Reply

 

Quote:

Don't aspire to make a living, aspire to make a difference.

 

 

Reply
post #1151 of 2618

Can you make the icing, not so sweet?

 

Yep, got this question this morning for a wedding cake in 12 days.  I said, "I'm sorry that's my recipe and we had a tasting for this reason, I'd be willing to give you your money back and you can go somewhere else."  She stopped right there! 

 

Reading this has helped me deal with not being offended, Thanks

post #1152 of 2618
Carmijok that is a brilliant response!! Too bad I already responded a couple weeks ago.. Basically just told her that I could offer her a 25% discount but that when cakes are picked up they need to be eithe held by someone or laying flat and supervised otherwise they won't make it there. She then said " I don't want you to do anything to "fix" the cake. Just wanted you to know for future customers.". Which made me even more livid because she still completely ignored that it wasn't my fault and all hers!
post #1153 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahscakes View Post

Carmijok that is a brilliant response!! Too bad I already responded a couple weeks ago.. Basically just told her that I could offer her a 25% discount but that when cakes are picked up they need to be eithe held by someone or laying flat and supervised otherwise they won't make it there. She then said " I don't want you to do anything to "fix" the cake. Just wanted you to know for future customers.". Which made me even more livid because she still completely ignored that it wasn't my fault and all hers!

Just reading it makes me so angry! I think the hardest part of caking is dealing with difficult customers. I had customer in January wanting a baby bag( diaper bag) cake. After so so many mails back and forth I designed and did her cake. Her husband and sister came to pick the cake and looked at it with a microscope and was immediately calling her back home to say I have not put her ( rather long) message on the handle as she wanted but on the board and after explaining to them how it was difficult since its not a large cake and that to include the message in the handle I would have to make a extra long hanle which would look disproportionate to the bag they ,again made more calls to her to get the approval and finally the cake was on the way. And after a while I get an angry call from her telling the handle has broken off! I told her calmly as the party was in the evening she can bring it back and that I would fix it for her although it was perfect when it left....but she decided she'll rather be angry and hostile and said she can't bother and that I should know better and use 'stronger icing' on my cakes!! I guess concrete should do! I would have put it down to the fact she was pregnant but I have done a CNnon DSLR camera for her before ( which came out pretty good and got me so many compliments) and she flipped out when she realized the tiny numbers on the zoom Lens was wrong!!icon_sad.gif
post #1154 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahscakes View Post

Carmijok that is a brilliant response!! Too bad I already responded a couple weeks ago.. Basically just told her that I could offer her a 25% discount but that when cakes are picked up they need to be eithe held by someone or laying flat and supervised otherwise they won't make it there. She then said " I don't want you to do anything to "fix" the cake. Just wanted you to know for future customers.". Which made me even more livid because she still completely ignored that it wasn't my fault and all hers!

Just reading it makes me so angry! I think the hardest part of caking is dealing with difficult customers. I had customer in January wanting a baby bag( diaper bag) cake. After so so many mails back and forth I designed and did her cake. Her husband and sister came to pick the cake and looked at it with a microscope and was immediately calling her back home to say I have not put her ( rather long) message on the handle as she wanted but on the board and after explaining to them how it was difficult since its not a large cake and that to include the message in the handle I would have to make a extra long hanle which would look disproportionate to the bag they ,again made more calls to her to get the approval and finally the cake was on the way. And after a while I get an angry call from her telling the handle has broken off! I told her calmly as the party was in the evening she can bring it back and that I would fix it for her although it was perfect when it left....but she decided she'll rather be angry and hostile and said she can't bother and that I should know better and use 'stronger icing' on my cakes!! I guess concrete should do! I would have put it down to the fact she was pregnant but I have done a CNnon DSLR camera for her before ( which came out pretty good and got me so many compliments) and she flipped out when she realized the tiny numbers on the zoom Lens was wrong!!icon_sad.gif
post #1155 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherox View Post


Just reading it makes me so angry! I think the hardest part of caking is dealing with difficult customers. I had customer in January wanting a baby bag( diaper bag) cake. After so so many mails back and forth I designed and did her cake. Her husband and sister came to pick the cake and looked at it with a microscope and was immediately calling her back home to say I have not put her ( rather long) message on the handle as she wanted but on the board and after explaining to them how it was difficult since its not a large cake and that to include the message in the handle I would have to make a extra long hanle which would look disproportionate to the bag they ,again made more calls to her to get the approval and finally the cake was on the way. And after a while I get an angry call from her telling the handle has broken off! I told her calmly as the party was in the evening she can bring it back and that I would fix it for her although it was perfect when it left....but she decided she'll rather be angry and hostile and said she can't bother and that I should know better and use 'stronger icing' on my cakes!! I guess concrete should do! I would have put it down to the fact she was pregnant but I have done a CNnon DSLR camera for her before ( which came out pretty good and got me so many compliments) and she flipped out when she realized the tiny numbers on the zoom Lens was wrong!!icon_sad.gif

 

 

And you made another cake for her why?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!