Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Practice cakes...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Practice cakes...

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
I wanted to know if anyone feels like practicing cakes and if they do, what do you do with the cake itself? I want to practice and all, but I don't have many friends here yet to pass along,,and I don't have the finances to buy the dummies yet,,so what would be your suggestion? Thanks!
post #2 of 33
If you just want to practice piping, that is easy enough to do with a piece of waxed or parchment paper. You can also stack your pans if you want to practice doing decorations on the side (although the lip of the pan might get in the way). About 15 years ago when I did the Wilton courses, they had little practice sheets that we laminated and used those to practice our piping.
post #3 of 33
You can donate your practice cakes to the fire department or a local shelter.
post #4 of 33
I used the bottom and sides of an upside down cake pan. Then after piping I would scrape it off and re-use over and over. I used the same container of icing a bunch of times (not eating it since it was left out for days and really abused.)
post #5 of 33
When I want to try something new, like a new recipe or a technique, I make a cake and then take it to church and we have it for our fellowship time. They are my "guinea pigs", bless their hearts! And such good sports about it. And I've also made a practice cake and taken it to our elderly care facility. They love getting extra goodies! I live in a small, rural area, mind you, where that sort of thing is okay.
post #6 of 33

I know this is an old thread but I have this question. I am dying to make a few different designs to see if I ca execute them properly before getting orders. I have given some to neighbors. I definitely don't want to eat them. I am doing a promotion right now to deliver a cake to a winner at work (want to do scrabble cake so I will incorportate the company's slogans and products into the word on the boards) Someone above mentioned fire departments...That's a good idea! Maybe battered wives shelters....although most likeley they will not become future customers. Any other ideas?

post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake View Post

I know this is an old thread but I have this question. I am dying to make a few different designs to see if I ca execute them properly before getting orders. I have given some to neighbors. I definitely don't want to eat them. I am doing a promotion right now to deliver a cake to a winner at work (want to do scrabble cake so I will incorportate the company's slogans and products into the word on the boards) Someone above mentioned fire departments...That's a good idea! Maybe battered wives shelters....although most likeley they will not become future customers. Any other ideas?


Check in your area for any sort of children's charities, and ask them if they know of a place that would be OK with accepting a donated cake. Future orders are unlikely, but you get to practice and make some kiddos very happy.

There is a low income daycare in my area that I do a special occasion cakes for, (Halloween/Christmas/etc), the kids get so excited.

 

The senior home idea is alos great, I used to do that when my grandfather was in one, they gave me a list of birthdays on his floor and I would try out new techniques/recipes etc. Stuff I had to do anyway, so may as well let someone enjoy it.

 

You just have to check with anyplace you want to donate a cake to, to make sure they are allowed to accept it! I had a bride cancel her wedding last minute a few years ago, and the cake was already made, I tried to donate it to one of the local foodbanks and a women's shelter, neither were allowed to take it.

post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullymama View Post

When I want to try something new, like a new recipe or a technique, I make a cake and then take it to church and we have it for our fellowship time. They are my "guinea pigs", bless their hearts! And such good sports about it. And I've also made a practice cake and taken it to our elderly care facility. They love getting extra goodies! I live in a small, rural area, mind you, where that sort of thing is okay.


Haha! I'm laughing at your use of the phrase "bless their hearts"!! You have to be from the south! So am I - Louisiana, and we are so known for "bless their heart"!  (My laughter is good natured, not making fun of you!) I say it all the time myself.

post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake View Post

I know this is an old thread but I have this question. I am dying to make a few different designs to see if I ca execute them properly before getting orders. I have given some to neighbors. I definitely don't want to eat them. I am doing a promotion right now to deliver a cake to a winner at work (want to do scrabble cake so I will incorportate the company's slogans and products into the word on the boards) Someone above mentioned fire departments...That's a good idea! Maybe battered wives shelters....although most likeley they will not become future customers. Any other ideas?


My son is a firefighter in Memphis. Believe me, those guys would be your friends for life and would happily scarf down your cakes for you!

post #10 of 33
I make my neighbours happy with a piece of cake
Jesus loves you!
Reply
Jesus loves you!
Reply
post #11 of 33

I have 10 grandchildren so my practice cakes all find good homes but i donate to the local salvation army to help them raise funds, and also my neighbours love recieving little treats xx

Hugs
Maggie x
Reply
Hugs
Maggie x
Reply
post #12 of 33

I donate mine to homeless shelters.

post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes View Post


Check in your area for any sort of children's charities, and ask them if they know of a place that would be OK with accepting a donated cake. Future orders are unlikely, but you get to practice and make some kiddos very happy.

There is a low income daycare in my area that I do a special occasion cakes for, (Halloween/Christmas/etc), the kids get so excited.

 

The senior home idea is alos great, I used to do that when my grandfather was in one, they gave me a list of birthdays on his floor and I would try out new techniques/recipes etc. Stuff I had to do anyway, so may as well let someone enjoy it.

 

You just have to check with anyplace you want to donate a cake to, to make sure they are allowed to accept it! I had a bride cancel her wedding last minute a few years ago, and the cake was already made, I tried to donate it to one of the local foodbanks and a women's shelter, neither were allowed to take it.

 

My neighbors must be sick of my cake ...they moved away in the middle of the night without telling any of us! lol I really like the prospect of making that dragon cake spewing sparkeler to the FD...lol

 

There is a very low daycare up the street from me. I live in a small nirvanna surrouded by Dates 7 levels...

I would feel bad about delivering cqke to low cost daycare...My brain says fresh kiwis, papyas, banannas, strawberries....

post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake View Post

I know this is an old thread but I have this question. I am dying to make a few different designs to see if I ca execute them properly before getting orders. I have given some to neighbors. I definitely don't want to eat them. I am doing a promotion right now to deliver a cake to a winner at work (want to do scrabble cake so I will incorportate the company's slogans and products into the word on the boards) Someone above mentioned fire departments...That's a good idea! Maybe battered wives shelters....although most likeley they will not become future customers. Any other ideas?

 

With school starting soon (at least in my area), that might be a possibility with a lot of exposure for future customers.  Our PTO sometimes provides us a welcome back to school luncheon with desserts included.  Or just something to be in the lounge on the days they are getting their rooms ready for the new year.  The teachers I work with love sweets.

post #15 of 33

Unfortunately/(luckily? heheeh) My kids are 27 and 28. Not to mention with all of M Obamas new rules it had become difficult to feed tehem anything but carrots! lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Practice cakes...