Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Plse help! Shelf life of carrot cake covered in fondant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Plse help! Shelf life of carrot cake covered in fondant?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I need to bake a christening cake for a friend and they want the cake finished on Thursday to take with to their kids,who lives quite a distance from them but the christening is not due till the following Sunday which makes it 10 days since i've baked the cake. Would a carrot cake covered in fondant keep fresh for such a period of time and if so what would you suggest i fill it with as I am afraid to use the normal cream cheese filling. I am really worried about the timeframe and would really appreciate your input. many thanks
post #2 of 8
No. It will all go bad.

Can you wrap the cake and freeze it? They could stick it in the freezer when they got there. It will only take a few hours to thaw on the day of the event.

Otherwise, politely, but emphatically, decline.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

No. It will all go bad.

Can you wrap the cake and freeze it? They could stick it in the freezer when they got there. It will only take a few hours to thaw on the day of the event.

Otherwise, politely, but emphatically, decline.

Thanks Matthewkyrankelly!
Can I freeze a cake covered in fondant? I have never done that before. Won't the fondant go all sticky and soft?
post #4 of 8
You can freeze a cake covered in fondant. Don't wrap it in plastic. It is best inside a cardboard box to protect; DO thaw it first in the fridge overnight. As it comes to room temp, it will develop condensation like anything will, but it dries just fine. For it to make it 10 days, it will have to go in the fridge when it gets to it's destination. Take it out of the fridge 2 to 3 hours prior to the event.

A more stable filling than cream cheese filling is white-chocolate truffle filling: It's just 24 oz white chocolate (I use almond bark or candy melts) and two 8 oz pkgs cream chz. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring it every now and then; beat in the cream chz (room temp). You can add some PS if you want to seeten it up and vanilla or butter flavoring for more flavor. The chocolate is what makes it more stable.
No pressure... no diamonds.

WASC Gourmet Flavors
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs
Reply
No pressure... no diamonds.

WASC Gourmet Flavors
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs
Reply
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

You can freeze a cake covered in fondant. Don't wrap it in plastic. It is best inside a cardboard box to protect; DO thaw it first in the fridge overnight. As it comes to room temp, it will develop condensation like anything will, but it dries just fine. For it to make it 10 days, it will have to go in the fridge when it gets to it's destination. Take it out of the fridge 2 to 3 hours prior to the event.

A more stable filling than cream cheese filling is white-chocolate truffle filling: It's just 24 oz white chocolate (I use almond bark or candy melts) and two 8 oz pkgs cream chz. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring it every now and then; beat in the cream chz (room temp). You can add some PS if you want to seeten it up and vanilla or butter flavoring for more flavor. The chocolate is what makes it more stable.

Thank you MacsMom!
I really appreciate! Would you suggest I ask them to take off the cake toppers before they put it in the fridge? To give you an idea,its a 9 inch square cake with a small elephant,lion and giraffe fondant cake topper on. Many thanks for all the advice,I am still new at this and appreciate any suggestions.
post #6 of 8
That seems like a good plan.

Pack the figurines by themselves. No need to freeze, just keep dry.

Freeze the cake in a box, wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. If you wrap the box in plastic you get very little condensation on the inside. The condensation will be kept to the plastic mostly.

Any condensation that does occur will have no effect on the cake.

When the cake is up to temp, they can set the figurines on it.

Good luck!
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

That seems like a good plan.

Pack the figurines by themselves. No need to freeze, just keep dry.

Freeze the cake in a box, wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. If you wrap the box in plastic you get very little condensation on the inside. The condensation will be kept to the plastic mostly.

Any condensation that does occur will have no effect on the cake.

When the cake is up to temp, they can set the figurines on it.

Good luck!

Thank you Matthewkyrankelly! Really appreciate the advice!
post #8 of 8
You can leave the figurines on the cake. I do.
No pressure... no diamonds.

WASC Gourmet Flavors
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs
Reply
No pressure... no diamonds.

WASC Gourmet Flavors
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Plse help! Shelf life of carrot cake covered in fondant?