Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Reducing fruit amounts in fruit cakes & boiling method
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reducing fruit amounts in fruit cakes & boiling method

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
What is the effect of reducing fruit amounts in fruit cake recipes? I want to reduce them just so the cake will not be so heavy to carry. Wanna know the effect on creaming method and boiling method. Anyone with a tried and trusted boiling fruit method recipe they have been successful with over and over? I have failed with 3 recipes so far. I would like to master one as it is quicker especially when making a big cake. TIA!
Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. -quotebites.com

http://m.facebook.com/Edible.Elegance.cakes.Zimbabwe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73178569@N05/
Reply
Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. -quotebites.com

http://m.facebook.com/Edible.Elegance.cakes.Zimbabwe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73178569@N05/
Reply
post #2 of 9
Creaming method--no difference. I have cut fruit to 1/4 of original Rx with no change at all.
post #3 of 9
if you are making a traditional fruit cake you cant change the amount of fruit and still get the same results.

Where are you from? different countries have different fruit cakes.
post #4 of 9
I boil the fruit and other ingredients, adding the dry later. Is that what you mean? Mine has so much fruit in it, I think a slight adjustment would not be missed, but you will just have to experiment. I don't think there is any way around it if you want to adjust recipes. Someone can give you a recipe, but it may not taste exactly the way you want it to taste.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thank you everyone. I am in Zimbabwe. We adopted British ways of celebrating though. most people here have been using the preboiling fruit method. I even tried a recipe given me by someone who did a local caking course but failed. I guess experimenting is the way. I thought there will be someone with a recipe to share.
Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. -quotebites.com

http://m.facebook.com/Edible.Elegance.cakes.Zimbabwe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73178569@N05/
Reply
Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. -quotebites.com

http://m.facebook.com/Edible.Elegance.cakes.Zimbabwe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73178569@N05/
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosech

What is the effect of reducing fruit amounts in fruit cake recipes? I want to reduce them just so the cake will not be so heavy to carry.
Your kidding right?
You want to reduce the fruit in a fruit cake so as it won't be heavy -
Fruit cakes are meant to be heavy - because of all the fruit.
If you don't want a heavy cake - bake a chocolate cake.


Wanna know the effect on creaming method and boiling method. Anyone with a tried and trusted boiling fruit method recipe they have been successful with over and over?
Yes i have a wonderful fruit cake recipe - but in all honesty, it would be useless me passing it on to you because you would reduce the main ingrediant - and then come back and complain that the recipe failed.


I have failed with 3 recipes so far.
I am not surprised - and did you reduce the ammount of eggs - flour - spices - and all the other ingrediants that go into making a proper fruit cake..?

I would like to master one as it is quicker especially when making a big cake. TIA!
Master one?
To master any cake you have to follow the recipe - not leave ingrediants out because the cake will be to heavy -
Sorry but this type of *baking* annoys me - and then when i read your 3 cakes so far have failed - i laugh and say outloud - gee, i wonder why...
Please - if your going to bake a cake - follow the recipe - you never know - the cake just might turn out as you hoped.
Bluehue
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosech

What is the effect of reducing fruit amounts in fruit cake recipes? I want to reduce them just so the cake will not be so heavy to carry.
Your kidding right?
You want to reduce the fruit in a fruit cake so as it won't be heavy -
Fruit cakes are meant to be heavy - because of all the fruit.
If you don't want a heavy cake - bake a chocolate cake.


Wanna know the effect on creaming method and boiling method. Anyone with a tried and trusted boiling fruit method recipe they have been successful with over and over?
Yes i have a wonderful fruit cake recipe - but in all honesty, it would be useless me passing it on to you because you would reduce the main ingrediant - and then come back and complain that the recipe failed.


I have failed with 3 recipes so far.
I am not surprised - and did you reduce the ammount of eggs - flour - spices - and all the other ingrediants that go into making a proper fruit cake..?

I would like to master one as it is quicker especially when making a big cake. TIA!
Master one?
To master any cake you have to follow the recipe - not leave ingrediants out because the cake will be to heavy -
Sorry but this type of *baking* annoys me - and then when i read your 3 cakes so far have failed - i laugh and say outloud - gee, i wonder why...
Please - if your going to bake a cake - follow the recipe - you never know - the cake just might turn out as you hoped.
Bluehue




Ouch!
I followed one boiling recipe to the last full stop. It did not come out well. I have only altered fruit amounts in the other two. All I wanted to know was the effect of reducing fruit amounts only. Not anything else. Just the scientific/culinary explanation. People here prefer fruit cake for their weddings and I do not mind doing them as they are less stressful due to the fact that you have a longer period of time between baking and decorating. I have been successful with most creaming methods though. As I said above the boiling method would be convenient especially when dealing with large amounts. I would still want a boiling recipe from someone willing to share. thank you.
Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. -quotebites.com

http://m.facebook.com/Edible.Elegance.cakes.Zimbabwe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73178569@N05/
Reply
Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. -quotebites.com

http://m.facebook.com/Edible.Elegance.cakes.Zimbabwe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73178569@N05/
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosech

What is the effect of reducing fruit amounts in fruit cake recipes? I want to reduce them just so the cake will not be so heavy to carry.
Your kidding right?
You want to reduce the fruit in a fruit cake so as it won't be heavy -
Fruit cakes are meant to be heavy - because of all the fruit.
If you don't want a heavy cake - bake a chocolate cake.


Wanna know the effect on creaming method and boiling method. Anyone with a tried and trusted boiling fruit method recipe they have been successful with over and over?
Yes i have a wonderful fruit cake recipe - but in all honesty, it would be useless me passing it on to you because you would reduce the main ingrediant - and then come back and complain that the recipe failed.


I have failed with 3 recipes so far.
I am not surprised - and did you reduce the ammount of eggs - flour - spices - and all the other ingrediants that go into making a proper fruit cake..?

I would like to master one as it is quicker especially when making a big cake. TIA!
Master one?
To master any cake you have to follow the recipe - not leave ingrediants out because the cake will be to heavy -
Sorry but this type of *baking* annoys me - and then when i read your 3 cakes so far have failed - i laugh and say outloud - gee, i wonder why...
Please - if your going to bake a cake - follow the recipe - you never know - the cake just might turn out as you hoped.
Bluehue




Ouch!
I followed one boiling recipe to the last full stop. It did not come out well. I have only altered fruit amounts in the other two. All I wanted to know was the effect of reducing fruit amounts only. Yes i understand that - and thats the whole problem - by reducing the fruit ONLY - you are changing the structure of the whole cake...Not anything else. Just the scientific/culinary explanation. I gave that to you in my above post - You cannot just change the ammount of fruit - you have to factor in the ammount of other ingediants to compensate the fruit removed - People here prefer fruit cake for their weddings As do many here - after all i am talking to you from Australia - where we too bake very similar to those in Britan - Americans bake an array of cakes that we do not here - for the simple fact that taste differ from nation to nation. Australia very rarely follows American trends....We up until the last 40 years were influenced greatly by what food trends happened in Britan - but over the last 40 years we have as a nation branched away - finding our own *taste buds and tastes* - however - a Fruitcake is very much a typical thing for one to have in ones pantry - any day of the week . and I do not mind doing them as they are less stressful due to the fact that you have a longer period of time between baking and decorating. I agree - for the simple fact that any fruitcake should be baked at least 8 weeks before a particular function so as it has time to *mature*... I have been successful with most creaming methods though. As I said above the boiling method would be convenient especially when dealing with large amounts. Here is a thought - measure out your fruit for say 3 batches of fruitcake - Then soak ALL that fruit in one large container for as long as you can - then when the time comes for you to *make* your cake/s only measure out one third of your soaking fruit and make that into a cake - that way you are only dealing with ONE batch of ingrediants at a time. I do this - i have at the moment enough fruit for 5 fruitcakes soaking in Brandy - next week i shall measure 1/5 of my soaking fruit and start making my fruit cake..... That way you aren't handling masses of fruit and other ingrediants at one time..The reason i suggest this is because you say you have had success with *the creaming method* so perhaps stick with what works best for you - .. I would still want a boiling recipe from someone willing to share.Sorry - i don't have a recipe that uses the Boiling method to share with you - i only do the creaming method - as i find that is the taste of fruit cakes that i prefer.... Over time i have been asked for the *how too's* of my method - if you wish and have time - have a look at my Blog and you will see it listed there - showing the different stages - it doesn't take long to do - and a moist cake is guaranteed - One good thing about the creaming method is that the fruit is always evenly distributed - throughout the whole cake - it won't sink to the bottom....
Sorry for my harshness earlier- but leaving out fruit in a fruit cake will only end up altering the taste and overall final product that you have spent $$$'s and time preparing.

Bluehue


thank you.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thank you. Will browse through your blog just now.
Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. -quotebites.com

http://m.facebook.com/Edible.Elegance.cakes.Zimbabwe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73178569@N05/
Reply
Life is short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now. -quotebites.com

http://m.facebook.com/Edible.Elegance.cakes.Zimbabwe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73178569@N05/
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Reducing fruit amounts in fruit cakes & boiling method