Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Straight edges on a ROUND cake???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Straight edges on a ROUND cake???

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hi Cakers!

Let me begin by saying I own Sharon's Zambitos DVD's and use her BC recipe. I have watched just about all the you tube videos on smoothing bc. I use a bench scraper and viva method. My issue is NOT the sides of a round cake, but the top edge of a round cake.

Instead of a complete even round top that matches the crisp straight sides, the top of my cakes are somewhat wavy. If you look at my cakes I always have elaborate bordrs to hide this. I would like to try borderless cakes,but that is not going to happen if I can't get a crisp circle!

Do you have any suggestions why this is happening? Do you think I am holding my spatula wrong when I go take the excess bc icing off the top? I ice it the same way Sharon Zambito does in her bc dvd.

Thanks!
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
post #2 of 9
I looked at the green grad cake as that has the best view.

You just need to pile more icing on the top before you start taking it off.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

I looked at the green grad cake as that has the best view.

You just need to pile more icing on the top before you start taking it off.




This makes sense! I usually bareley have enough icing that goes over the top edge before I start taking icing off. I will give this a try!
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
post #4 of 9
i agree with more icing. I also looked at the pink and white dots cake. If you have more on the top, as you bring that bench scraper around the side, it will push a lip up toward the top. what i do is use the bench scraper and pull that lip toward the center. i find that pushing from the center out makes the edge curve down and out instead of up and in. i use the bench scraper because i can eyeball the level of the blade edge as i draw it toward me. with the spatula, it's just too variable.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla

i agree with more icing. I also looked at the pink and white dots cake. If you have more on the top, as you bring that bench scraper around the side, it will push a lip up toward the top. what i do is use the bench scraper and pull that lip toward the center. i find that pushing from the center out makes the edge curve down and out instead of up and in. i use the bench scraper because i can eyeball the level of the blade edge as i draw it toward me. with the spatula, it's just too variable.



When you use the bench scraper to take the excess of, do you find that you have total control of the blade. My concern is the scraper is so huge compared to a small spatula. I would be afraid of not being able to control it easily. I hope that make sense.

Also, you mentioned in your reply that "i find that pushing from the center out makes the edge..." If I am visualizing this correctly, are you meaning starting in the middle of the top of the cake and pushing your blade out away from you?? How is that possible and still be able to get a even top? I am sure I am misunderstanding this.

I really appreciate your help on this!! =)
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
post #6 of 9
I'm sure I could have explained it better! icon_biggrin.gif

What I do to get an even edge is layer on my frosting, top and sides. Then smooth the sides with the bench scraper. I save the top edge til last. Then I stand on one side of the cake and bring the edge of the bench scraper to the top of the opposite side. I line up the blade and then pull the edge toward me, stopping at the center.

this baker is doing something similar. she pulls the top parallel, i pull it more towards my body. but essentially the same.

skip to the 5 minute mark to see the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla

I'm sure I could have explained it better! icon_biggrin.gif

What I do to get an even edge is layer on my frosting, top and sides. Then smooth the sides with the bench scraper. I save the top edge til last. Then I stand on one side of the cake and bring the edge of the bench scraper to the top of the opposite side. I line up the blade and then pull the edge toward me, stopping at the center.

this baker is doing something similar. she pulls the top parallel, i pull it more towards my body. but essentially the same.

skip to the 5 minute mark to see the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84




I got you now! LOL Thank you for clarifying. I will have to give this a try as well
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
post #8 of 9
The other way to do a flat top is to use a stainless steel ruler wider than the cake diameter. Having piled a generous amount of icing, it takes one stroke across the cake to make the top flat. Then ice and smooth the sides.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

The other way to do a flat top is to use a stainless steel ruler wider than the cake diameter. Having piled a generous amount of icing, it takes one stroke across the cake to make the top flat. Then ice and smooth the sides.



thumbs_up.gif
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
Want to become Facebook Friends ???

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000994465036

Send me a friend request!! =)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Straight edges on a ROUND cake???