Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › make your own cake stand?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

make your own cake stand?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I am trying to make my own pedestal cake stand. Simply because the size I need is too expensive for me to just purchase right now. The bottom tier of this cake will be 14", so I'm thinking I need a 16" stand.

First question - how thick do you think the top circle piece of the stand should be? So far the only place I've found, even online, that has a 16" circle is only 1/4" thick. Do you think that's strong enough to hold a 24-26" tall cake?

Second question - have you made one? What did you do?

Thanks!
Wilton graduate and proud cake business owner under FL Cottage Food Law. More cake photos here: www.FROSTEDChicCakes.com
Reply
Wilton graduate and proud cake business owner under FL Cottage Food Law. More cake photos here: www.FROSTEDChicCakes.com
Reply
post #2 of 16
Why not use MDF? It can be cut to the size you need, and comes in different thicknesses. It can be cut into the shape you want, and can easily be painted. For the legs, you can use just about anything (furniture legs...like those blunt balls). It's pretty inexpensive too. You can jazz the sides up if you want with ribbons, or fringe, or whatever! You're only limited by your imagination!
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

Why not use MDF? It can be cut to the size you need, and comes in different thicknesses. It can be cut into the shape you want, and can easily be painted. For the legs, you can use just about anything (furniture legs...like those blunt balls). It's pretty inexpensive too. You can jazz the sides up if you want with ribbons, or fringe, or whatever! You're only limited by your imagination!



Googling now... but in case I can't find it.. what is MDF?
*Nevermind, found it! Medium-density fibreboard lol
Wilton graduate and proud cake business owner under FL Cottage Food Law. More cake photos here: www.FROSTEDChicCakes.com
Reply
Wilton graduate and proud cake business owner under FL Cottage Food Law. More cake photos here: www.FROSTEDChicCakes.com
Reply
post #4 of 16
For MDF, try a lumber place or home improvement center. They will often cut to size for you.

I have made cake stands with "supplies" from thrift stores. I made one with a 16-inch glass platter ($3.99) plus feet. For feet I used sherbet glasses which I already had in my basement, unused for years, but you can buy those too, or low glass candlesticks, or champagne saucers, or........ whatever your imagination can come up with. Glue the feet to the bottom of the platter with something strong, like epoxy. Another one I made with a silver-plated platter and a silver-plated candle holder. Another one was a special glass Christmas platter and the matching sugar bowl (upside-down) glued together.

All parts were found at the same thrift shop, my favorite.
icon_smile.gif

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

For MDF, try a lumber place or home improvement center. They will often cut to size for you.

I have made cake stands with "supplies" from thrift stores. I made one with a 16-inch glass platter ($3.99) plus feet. For feet I used sherbet glasses which I already had in my basement, unused for years, but you can buy those too, or low glass candlesticks, or champagne saucers, or........ whatever your imagination can come up with. Glue the feet to the bottom of the platter with something strong, like epoxy. Another one I made with a silver-plated platter and a silver-plated candle holder. Another one was a special glass Christmas platter and the matching sugar bowl (upside-down) glued together.

All parts were found at the same thrift shop, my favorite.
icon_smile.gif



Oooh great ideas - thank you!
Wilton graduate and proud cake business owner under FL Cottage Food Law. More cake photos here: www.FROSTEDChicCakes.com
Reply
Wilton graduate and proud cake business owner under FL Cottage Food Law. More cake photos here: www.FROSTEDChicCakes.com
Reply
post #6 of 16
I can't offer any help on how to make a cake stand, but I have been lucky to find some very reasonable prices on Ebay, Amazon, and Save on Crafts. HTH

Kim
post #7 of 16
Or watch at your local thrift store for a large glass microwave turntable. They are cheap and really strong. Also come in large sizes if you watch for them.
post #8 of 16
I also have made cake stand from things I picked up at thrift stores. The only problem I had was finding a base big enough for a cake larger than 10" inches, that's why I suggested the MDF.
post #9 of 16
Many big box hardware stores sell large, wood circles that are intended to be table tops for a make-your-own table. Check out the lumber section. Wonderful cake bases, but not as cheap as DIY since they are pre-cut circles for you. (But pre-cut means VERY clean edges!) They tend to be about 3/4 to 1 inch thick, too.

We have a local ACE hardware that also stocks these, as well as Home Depot and Lowe's.

They won't cut a circle for you (typically, by store policy) from a larger piece of sheet wood because this qualifies as a "detail" cut.

If you were to cut your own, of course, the easiest way to cut a circle is with a router. (In case you have any woodworking buddies...)

Cheers,
-j
"What a brave corporate logo!"
Reply
"What a brave corporate logo!"
Reply
post #10 of 16
For my 16-inch wide stand, I used more than one upside-down sherbet glass for feet. If I were to make one with only one pedestal, I would use an upside-down compote (comport in UK).

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply
post #11 of 16
I wish I could see pictures of your homemade stands!
post #12 of 16
I made a stand for a dummy cake out of a glazed flower pot and 1/2 inch foamcore board. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1763631/1763671/other-cakes I cut a offset that matched the size of the bottom of the flower pot from the 3/8 inch and glued it to the underside of the larger board. This is not 16", but I made one without the pot that was 15 inches for my step-son's wedding. sorry, I can't get the picture to attach.
live to ride
Reply
live to ride
Reply
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianInFL

I wish I could see pictures of your homemade stands!



Hmmmmmm. I'll let you know when I find my camera. Seriously. Currently my house is decorated in early, middle, and late Chaos. icon_smile.gif

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply

There. Their. They're not the same.

 

I hope I die before "your" becomes the official contraction of "you are."

Reply
post #14 of 16
Hav you run a Search on the Internet? Many decorators/bakers have made their own .. they may give you some ideas ..
post #15 of 16
The thing that gives me the shivers is that you want to place a 24" tall cake on a stand you're making and it will have one central pedestal? You're really taking a chance that it won't tip, and that the glue you're using will hold. I've had the best of luck with a styrofoam cake dummy - 3 or 4" tall, draped over with a coordinating piece of fabric to match ribbons or flowers on the cake. You can stand on them and they won't cave and you just have the functions manager toss it out at the end of the event, you don't have to travel back to get it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › make your own cake stand?