Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › How do I combine these elements, yet, have an elegant cake?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I combine these elements, yet, have an elegant cake?!

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm making a wedding cake for a friend & am having a tough time picturing how to do this cake!

She wants a 4 tier round cake with:
*Calla lilies (w pink insides)
*Silver gelatin bubbles
*Black pearls

I haven't seen the cake topper...but I think she said it was going to be a motorcycle. I'm not sure, though.

This is the best cake I've seen with gelatin bubbles that doesn't look tacky....I'm not sure how Silver bubbles would look though.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1895732/champagne-bubbles-wedding-cake[/b]
post #2 of 20
What is the actual cake color going to be? White? Pink?
post #3 of 20
I keep trying to picture those elements together in my head. I can see it pulling together if done right. I would definately do tall tiers, and then have an accent bouquet with the black pearls, the lilies, and the silver bubbles (in small and medium sizes) on each level, and then do black pearl borders around each tier. I wouldn't over do it though. Sometimes less is more.
How pink is pink? I found these, a cranberrish color. Pretty.

http://numily.com/sugar-flower-calla-lily-in-cranberry/

HTH

D.
post #4 of 20
Lol now I can't stop thinking about it!

Here is a neat cake.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/54514/round-wedding-cakes
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

I keep trying to picture those elements together in my head. I can see it pulling together if done right. I would definately do tall tiers, and then have an accent bouquet with the black pearls, the lilies, and the silver bubbles (in small and medium sizes) on each level, and then do black pearl borders around each tier. I wouldn't over do it though. Sometimes less is more.
How pink is pink? I found these, a cranberrish color. Pretty.

http://numily.com/sugar-flower-calla-lily-in-cranberry/

HTH

D.



Thanks for replying icon_smile.gif

The cake will be white & she "doesn't really like pink" ...lol, so she doesn't want the flowers to be TOO pink.
I'm thinking something like the lighter pink lilies here: http://blossomweddings.blogspot.com/
With black,pink, and silver...I'm trying to keep it from looking like a Sweet Sixteen cake, you know what I mean?
post #6 of 20
Just my opinion but I think she needs to pick either the bubbles or the lilies. That is way too much for one cake. I could def see the black bead border and one or the other. Not sure about a motorcycle on top tho.
post #7 of 20
I think I can see 3 lilies on top around the motorcycle icon_smile.gif
They can be smallish and just bearly brushed w/some very light pink petal dust (mix it w/cornstarch to lighten).
post #8 of 20
Okay, when I think about the elements that are to go into this cake the lyrics from Grease 2 start playing in my head..."Cooool Rider..."

I agree that that is a lot to put on a cake, which is why I suggested maybe doing a few accent bouquets (not sure if that is the right cake terminology for this, I hope you know what I mean though) on each tier, small ones though. I can't imagine huge gelatin bubbles either.

Have you sat down with her and done a sketch of the cake? If she sees it on paper, maybe she will not like those elements together. But then, maybe she will. What's pretty to me or to you can be totally different to someone else.

I'm interested and excited to see what you come up with!
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yums

Just my opinion but I think she needs to pick either the bubbles or the lilies. That is way too much for one cake. I could def see the black bead border and one or the other. Not sure about a motorcycle on top tho.



You should have seen all the other things that she wanted...I had to talk her out of those :/
This is the 'simplified' design...lol
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I think I can see 3 lilies on top around the motorcycle icon_smile.gif
They can be smallish and just bearly brushed w/some very light pink petal dust (mix it w/cornstarch to lighten).



That's a good idea. I'm waiting for her to send me a pic of the topper so I can see exactly what it looks like.
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

Okay, when I think about the elements that are to go into this cake the lyrics from Grease 2 start playing in my head..."Cooool Rider..."

I agree that that is a lot to put on a cake, which is why I suggested maybe doing a few accent bouquets (not sure if that is the right cake terminology for this, I hope you know what I mean though) on each tier, small ones though. I can't imagine huge gelatin bubbles either.

Have you sat down with her and done a sketch of the cake? If she sees it on paper, maybe she will not like those elements together. But then, maybe she will. What's pretty to me or to you can be totally different to someone else.

I'm interested and excited to see what you come up with!



lol!
No, I haven't done a sketch yet. I was looking around flickr to get some inspiration & this is the closest I could get to the elements she is asking for: http://www.flickr.com/photos/flourgirl2007/1593051088/in/faves-36656480@N04/
I like the top tier & separator column....but she doesn't want anything on top(since she's using a topper)

I like the pearl borders on this(and this is what you mean by the bouquets on the tiers, correct?): http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupidcupcakery/6158354383/in/faves-36656480@N04/

I was thinking it would be pretty if it were a mixture of flowers for the bouquet...like roses & callas, or orchids & callas....but she didnt like that idea. lol
post #12 of 20
Yes, I was thinking it would look better with a mix of flowers, I think it's prettier that way. That is along the lines of what I meant by bouquets, those in the picture look weird to me though.
post #13 of 20
Call me crazy (many people do, including my family!)

But when I heard all the elements, I started seeing black, as in a base color. As in , a 4 tiered cake covered in black fondant.
The silver will accent the black and the pink will 'pop' or compliment it.
Black and Silver should pull in a motor cycle also.
If she wants a motor cycle as a cake topper, that is telling me she is not a traditional bride and might go for the black wedding cake.

Good Luck!
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
She sent me a photo of the topper...it's not as bad as I pictured in my mind. lol

Also, She says they are now using an assortment of lilies, instead of just Calla lilies. I'm trying not to keep bugging about details(because she already seems flustered about everything)...but it's kind of driving me crazy that she can't seem to make up her mind. I think she really doesn't know what she wants.

BTW, they are already married...have been married for about 5 yrs. This is the wedding that they never got to have.

I'm also making 3 dozen cupcakes & 3 dozen chocolate dipped strawberries. How should I arrange them? On the same table as the cake? (like a dessert table) or separately?
LL
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Call me crazy (many people do, including my family!)

But when I heard all the elements, I started seeing black, as in a base color. As in , a 4 tiered cake covered in black fondant.
The silver will accent the black and the pink will 'pop' or compliment it.
Black and Silver should pull in a motor cycle also.
If she wants a motor cycle as a cake topper, that is telling me she is not a traditional bride and might go for the black wedding cake.

Good Luck!



Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › How do I combine these elements, yet, have an elegant cake?!