Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › The Knot Is At It AGAIN !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Knot Is At It AGAIN !!! - Page 2

post #16 of 73
Thread Starter 
Oh, goodie! My turn.................


Image

Image
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
post #17 of 73
Thank You Jason for proving my point - your former bakery used to specialize in sheet cakes.

My current cake studio does not.

Brides coming to you wanted discount sheet cakes for their weddings, a service and product you specialized and provided. Good. That's where they needed to go.

But it's ridiculous to keep encouraging brides to come to ME, who doesn't have a single picture of a sheet cake on my website - in fact I have a paragraph in my FAQs about how I don't make them, and expect me to make them for weddings (at a discount!) because the Knot told them I should and the Knot told them I should be cheaper.

I'm pretty sick of it, and will never advertise with The Knot because of it.
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

For smaller weddings we often suggest a single tier round nicely decorated with fondant coupled with a sheet cake for the kitchen. This has the added benefit of allowing the customer to pick up the cake, since multi-tier cakes require delivery. I try to avoid deliveries whenever possible since it is a huge time sink.



I have never been to a wedding that has had a single tier cake. Ever.

Also, tiered cakes do not require delivery. Walmart makes you take your own 3 tier wedding cake. And I'm sure *most* people make it intact to the wedding.

I homeschool because I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

 

http://whynotethiopia2.blogspot.com/

 

 

Reply

I homeschool because I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

 

http://whynotethiopia2.blogspot.com/

 

 

Reply
post #19 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Brides coming to you wanted discount sheet cakes for their weddings, a service and product you specialized and provided. Good. That's where they needed to go.


We don't specialize in "discount cakes", if customers want discount cakes we send them to Costco.

Quote:
Quote:

But it's ridiculous to keep encouraging brides to come to ME, who doesn't have a single picture of a sheet cake on my website - in fact I have a paragraph in my FAQs about how I don't make them, and expect me to make them for weddings (at a discount!) because the Knot told them I should and the Knot told them I should be cheaper.


Nothing wrong with that, every business does things differently. It doesn't take long to educate a potential customer that they won't save money with sheet cakes from your business since you don't make them. Or you do but they cost the same as tiered cakes (you've said both so far in this thread).

And FYI, my "former" bakery still exists and is doing very well. icon_smile.gif
post #20 of 73
Jason, you said you priced your sheet cakes less then a tiered cake. Therefore: you sell "discounted sheet cakes".
post #21 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155

I have never been to a wedding that has had a single tier cake. Ever.


Yet they do happen. Especially when there aren't too many guests or there are other desserts.

Quote:
Quote:

Also, tiered cakes do not require delivery. Walmart makes you take your own 3 tier wedding cake. And I'm sure *most* people make it intact to the wedding.


To clarify, requiring delivery of multi-tier cakes is a policy of our bakery. There's no way we would let a customer assemble one of our cakes on their own at the venue.
post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Jason, you said you priced your sheet cakes less then a tiered cake. Therefore: you sell "discounted sheet cakes".


Our sheet cakes are priced less than tiered cakes, but they are priced that way because they cost less to make. They are not "discounted" or "discount cakes". When you discount something you sell it at less than regular price, and that's not the case here.
post #23 of 73
Jason, totally off topic, but why do you still call it "your bakery"? You regularly give people advice on here implying you have authority as a *current* bakery owner ("at my bakery", "when we do", "the way we do it is") when many of us know that you are not... you aren't even in food service.

Having a *former* bakery does not lessen or devalue the advice you give or your opinions, except when you claim the present-tense when many of us know that your experiences are past-tense.
post #24 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Jason, you said you priced your sheet cakes less then a tiered cake. Therefore: you sell "discounted sheet cakes".


Our sheet cakes are priced less than tiered cakes, but they are priced that way because they cost less to make. They are not "discounted" or "discount cakes". When you discount something you sell it at less than regular price, and that's not the case here.



And now you are just being obtuse. thumbs_up.gif
post #25 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

There's no way we would let a customer assemble one of our cakes on their own at the venue.



Walmart doesn't have you assemble them either. They come all stacked with a purdy shell border and everything! icon_lol.gif I understand your policy, just sayin.

I homeschool because I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

 

http://whynotethiopia2.blogspot.com/

 

 

Reply

I homeschool because I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

 

http://whynotethiopia2.blogspot.com/

 

 

Reply
post #26 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Jason, totally off topic, but why do you still call it "your bakery"? You regularly give people advice on here implying you have authority as a *current* bakery owner ("at my bakery", "when we do", "the way we do it is") when many of us know that you are not... you aren't even in food service.


Well, I co-founded the bakery, set up the business side, I still talk to the current owner so I know all the existing processes are still in place, and I still have a consulting role in the business.

Quote:
Quote:

Having a *former* bakery does not lessen or devalue the advice you give or your opinions, except when you claim the present-tense when many of us know that your experiences are past-tense.


Your opinion is noted.
post #27 of 73
What was the question again?

I've only seen single tiered wedding cakes as part of a multiple-cake dessert display. I think that the problem were experiencing here is that the majority of businesses who do wedding cakes arent doing single tiers plus a sheet cake, that an extremely unusual business model for weddings. So when Jason is giving advice on this topic it's normal for his former business,but out of the norm for 99% of the wedding cake businesses in the US. I wouldn't call your single tier plus sheet a discount option necessarily, but for people who specialize in custom wedding cakes that's so totally not what we do it's pretty much an irrelevant point,know what I mean?

The knot till sucks, regardless.
post #28 of 73
Wow!! This was fun icon_biggrin.gif
post #29 of 73
Wow!! This was fun icon_biggrin.gif
post #30 of 73
Even with some of the banter, I learned a lot from this thread - thanks for all the info.

Jeanne

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › The Knot Is At It AGAIN !!!