Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Champagne
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Champagne - Page 2

post #16 of 48
Thread Starter 
Tibrado, those look like fun sugars to experiment with. I would not add them into the Oceana recipe, though. It is a very potent cake and it really takes on the flavor of the type of champagne you use. I'm thinking the flavors could clash. Maybe try sprinkling some of the sugar on the top of a frosted cupcake and see how it tastes first.

HTH.
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibrado

Help on this please. I bought some champagne flavored sugar in hopes to add the flavor without adding additional liquid to a standard yellow cake recipe.
http://www.faeriesfinest.com/sugars.html



Last year I spent some silly money on flavourings from different companies.

If you want champagne flavour, use the LorAnn. It's very true and concentrated.Economical in the ounce bottle and they sell droppers because these extracts really have to be dosed dropwise.

FYI the very best rum flavour is Boyajian. Not as concentrated but all natural. Super good according to the baking friends that I shared them with. Ditto for their maple and raspberry flavours.

In comparison, I threw out ALL the Fairies Finest extracts and sugars because I could taste chemicals (yes I'm a chemist). If there was a natural plant origin, then using toxic chemicals to extract is still a no-no according to FDA and CFIA regs.
post #18 of 48
Thanks Dandymom and BakingIrene! How sad, I just got the sugar delivered to my desk when I wrote that post and was super excited. As it happens I did also pick up Lorann champagne flavoring as well, but it's an oil .125 oz bottle. Is that the same thing you were thinking of or is there an alcohol based extract?
post #19 of 48
Three is only the one LorAnn champagne product. It is an oil which means that it will blend perfectly into cake batter, chocolate, ganache, etc.

Their fountain flavours are excellent and water based. Especially the black raspberry and mango.

LorAnnoils.com is where all the flavour info and many recipes are posted. I use the pineapple and pistachio routinely.
post #20 of 48
If you want to put champagne in one of your recipes, reduce it. I reduce it by 75% for buttervream. That's 1 cup reduced to 1/4 cup. Put it on the stove and in a few minutes... watch it, it will reduce. You lose much of the alcohol, but you are left with a concentrated champagne flavor. You can reduce it more. Now you have a workable amount that you can sub into your own recipes. The reduction will also take away any negative impact on the crumb because it is not an original champagne cake recipe.
post #21 of 48
Ooh I want to try make that youtube recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

If you want to put champagne in one of your recipes, reduce it. I reduce it by 75% for buttervream. That's 1 cup reduced to 1/4 cup. Put it on the stove and in a few minutes... watch it, it will reduce. You lose much of the alcohol, but you are left with a concentrated champagne flavor. You can reduce it more. Now you have a workable amount that you can sub into your own recipes. The reduction will also take away any negative impact on the crumb because it is not an original champagne cake recipe.



Good tip!
A down-to-earth South African who has a growing interest in fondant cakes...I've been bitten by the cake bug!
Reply
A down-to-earth South African who has a growing interest in fondant cakes...I've been bitten by the cake bug!
Reply
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

BakingIrene, I did use the whole bottle minus two sips leftover for me.
Each one of them raised their eyebrows after the first bite and all said that it was not what they expected it to be...and then proceeded to devour..
D

Your post is so cute! I can't wait to try this recipe and will make sure to leave two sips for me thumbs_up.gif
I just been holding on since there's always children in out gatherings and I don't think this is a kid's cake/cupcake icon_biggrin.gif
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Quote:

Your post is so cute! I can't wait to try this recipe and will make sure to leave two sips for me thumbs_up.gif
I just been holding on since there's always children in out gatherings and I don't think this is a kid's cake/cupcake icon_biggrin.gif



OK here's the official chemist's report.

Champagne starts out at 12% alcohol by volume.

The alcohol does bake completely out of the cake, leaving behind the fragrance and moisture.

In the icing, you cook the cup of champagne to 248F which also makes it alcohol free.

So there is the original alcohol in the 1/4 cup wine added to the icing at the end...but nowhere else. This is divided up by 12 servings. 60ml x 0.12 = 7.2 grams in 12 servings or 0.6 gram alcohol per serving.

The unique flavour of this cake comes from the live yeast that is present in the wine before baking.
This cake might not be legal for abstainers but it can safely be served to children.
post #24 of 48
Ahhh, thank you BakingIrene!! In that case I will make this cake for the whole family! icon_smile.gif ---but still save extra sips of the champagne for me though LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
post #25 of 48
Thread Starter 
Thanks, Rosie! Next time I make this cake, I'm getting two bottles, one for the cupcakes and one for me!
I'm not sure how this recipe bakes up as an actual cake. The baking time is longer than for the cupcakes. I baked these for 15-17 minutes, you have to watch them so they dont over bake. They were potent and yummy!

D.
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

Thanks, Rosie! Next time I make this cake, I'm getting two bottles, one for the cupcakes and one for me!
D.

Ha,ha,ha! now that sounds like a better idea!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif I can't wait to try this recipe!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
post #27 of 48
can you add chopped strawberries into the batter without messing it up?
post #28 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibrado

can you add chopped strawberries into the batter without messing it up?



The batter already has a lot of liquid in it and I wouldn't add strawberries, unless you feel like experimenting and have the money to do so, then give it a try. If you do, let me know how it goes!
What I plan on doing with this cupcake is to make different fillings...strawberry, orange curd (for mimosa) and mango curd, which I think pair wonderfully, depending on the champagne used. I plan on filling them and then frosting them as usual. icon_smile.gif
Are you making these soon? I'm excited to hear someone else's opinion of them.

D.
post #29 of 48
This looks like an interesting recipe. I'll have to try it. When I made a pink champagne cake, my recipe only had 1/2 c. champagne and to that I added 1 C of pureed strawberries and it was delicious. Because I had champagne left, I made a simple syrup and brushed that on before icing with a powdered egg white SMBC that substituted champagne for the water to reconstitite the whites. It was all to die for.
live to ride
Reply
live to ride
Reply
post #30 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

This looks like an interesting recipe. I'll have to try it. When I made a pink champagne cake, my recipe only had 1/2 c. champagne and to that I added 1 C of pureed strawberries and it was delicious. Because I had champagne left, I made a simple syrup and brushed that on before icing with a powdered egg white SMBC that substituted champagne for the water to reconstitite the whites. It was all to die for.



With this recipe using a full 2 cups of raw champagne in the batter, I'd be afraid to add the strawberries. The cake itself has a very distinct crumb and I'd hate to ruin it.
I've considered experimenting with the frosting and making an IMBC or SMBC. The recipe that this calls for is a French buttercream and it is truly divine. A full cup of champagne is cooked with the sugar. So so so good!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Champagne