Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › After all this work- I'm too expensive??!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

After all this work- I'm too expensive??!!

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
I've been working with this bride for 2 months now. Cake tasting, design sketch, multiple emails every week, etc. I wrote up her quote and emailed it to her - $490 for a 178 serving cake, which includes delivery 40 miles away. She emails me back and said that is completely out of her budget, and can I do less detail or something to bring down the price. The cake isn't even very detailed as it is- some combing and scrolling is it. I told her what my price per serving was in the very beginning. Errr.... I think my new first question is going to be "What budget are we working with?"

Now on to more emails so I can see what to do to fit in her budget- and her wedding is only 3 weeks away. But if the order doesn't go through, I'm spending the day at the local brewfest which I was not going to get to go to because of this cake order icon_smile.gif
"I like to cook with wine...on occasion I even add it to the food!"
Reply
"I like to cook with wine...on occasion I even add it to the food!"
Reply
post #2 of 33
Her wedding is in 3 weeks and you are over priced? Time is money. Why are you waisting yours? Go to the local brew fest!
post #3 of 33
I agree go to the local Brewfest. I just had a similar thing happen and it's really frustrating. She's crazy she's getting a good deal.
post #4 of 33
You need to stand firm on her price, if the cake is really detailed, tell her you can at most take 50 dollars off and do way less detail work, otherwise that is the least expensive you can go. For a wedding of 178 people, she must have a big enough budget or she would have cut the guest list, that is NOT a cheap wedding. She is trying to nickel and dime you. Guarantee you she will still want the cake regardless. Do not be swayed to go cheaper. The brew fest is looking better and better with this bride.
Yes I am legal. Now move on and bake..
Reply
Yes I am legal. Now move on and bake..
Reply
post #5 of 33
You needed to have the budget and the ballpark price discussed in the first five minutes. Not doing this wastes your time and the time of the client. All other details should be discussed after the price. It isn't her fault if she didn't know the price. Now she has even less time to find a baker within her budget. Two months ago, she had time.
post #6 of 33
I wouldn't waste any more time than necessary on this bride. You can send her one more quote, a bare bones basic based on the number of servings she needs (Don't do ANY more design work!!) and if basic is too much for her, there's really nothing more you can do.

In the future, don't give out any sketches without a retainer in hand. It's too easy for people to take all of your hard work on a design and hand it off to someone else who will do it for cheaper. Good luck!
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
post #7 of 33
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys! She has 150 people who have rsvp'd and has $300 for the cake. She found me from my website where I clearly state it costs at least $2.50 a serving. Funny how the bride who called me wanting a budget cake (not seeing my website) thought $2.50 a serving was very reasonable. I do feel sorry for this gal, though, with only 3 weeks. I am the only baker within 100 miles so I don't know what else she'll do. I might give her my plain and simple option and free delivery just because it is the first cake for a new resort who has been passing my name around. Lesson learned, I reckon!
"I like to cook with wine...on occasion I even add it to the food!"
Reply
"I like to cook with wine...on occasion I even add it to the food!"
Reply
post #8 of 33
$2 per serving (with free delivery) IS NOT REASONABLE. Did you say "resort"? Her lack of proper budgeting is NOT your problem. She wants the cake, I guarantee you she will pay for it.And this is why I got out of the wedding cake biz. And the PP is correct, you never ever hand out a sketch until they hand over the $$.
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
post #9 of 33
Im pretty new to this and I dont sell my cakes but not even seeing your design I would say she is getting a steal! (and with delivery!) Dont feel sorry for her, she obviously doesnt feel sorry for you having to do all that work on her cake for as little money as she can squeeze you down to. Stick to your guns. Have her find someone else to do it and I bet when they quote her on the same cake she will realize what a deal she has with you!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cake-Conscious/268624106488267

"Birthdays are just natures way of telling you to eat more cake!"
Reply
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cake-Conscious/268624106488267

"Birthdays are just natures way of telling you to eat more cake!"
Reply
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlotCook

Thanks guys! She has 150 people who have rsvp'd and has $300 for the cake. She found me from my website where I clearly state it costs at least $2.50 a serving. Funny how the bride who called me wanting a budget cake (not seeing my website) thought $2.50 a serving was very reasonable. I do feel sorry for this gal, though, with only 3 weeks. I am the only baker within 100 miles so I don't know what else she'll do. I might give her my plain and simple option and free delivery just because it is the first cake for a new resort who has been passing my name around. Lesson learned, I reckon!



Have you seen the thread about the article on The Knot? Sounds like this girl has negotiating down to a fine art. I would give her a price of $375 (her 150 guests/servings at $2.50) plus delivery and then walk away. Period.
post #11 of 33
I have totally learned to ask what the cake budget is before we even start talking pricing. Then we discuss what they can get for their budget range.
post #12 of 33
Dont budge that price with delivery IMO. is cheap .She is havingit at the newest resort and you are the only baker in 100miles ? What is she going to do ? You will get other chances to bake for events at that venue Im sure . Stand your ground or else tell her sorry and go to the beer fesr.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlotCook

Thanks guys! She has 150 people who have rsvp'd and has $300 for the cake. She found me from my website where I clearly state it costs at least $2.50 a serving. Funny how the bride who called me wanting a budget cake (not seeing my website) thought $2.50 a serving was very reasonable. I do feel sorry for this gal, though, with only 3 weeks. I am the only baker within 100 miles so I don't know what else she'll do. I might give her my plain and simple option and free delivery just because it is the first cake for a new resort who has been passing my name around. Lesson learned, I reckon!



Really? You run a cake charity too?

Here's what makes me feel 'sorry': the thought of you slaving over a cake that will probably have marginal if any profit for your business. $2.00 per serving and free delivery 40 miles away. I feel sorry for the family that will miss out on the 10-14 hours of your attention while you service this bride who can afford to have 150 guests at the newest resort in town but not your cake. I think I'm distraught now. Unless you're seriously strapped for the cash, I say spend the time with your loved ones and call it a day.

And while we are on the issue of negotiations a la the Knot article that was mentioned, let me point out the circumstances in your favor:

1. Your website clearly states what your minimum price is. Stick with it. She saw it before she contacted you.
2. This bride had months to shop around but stuck with you. Brides aren't stupid, and they and their helpers (MOB, MOG, Bridesmaids) shop around. If she knew that you're the only one within 100 miles and she even remotely considered that she would not be able to afford you, she would have made arrangements.
3. She's got 3 weeks to the wedding. I dare her to find any reputable baker beyond that 100 mile radius who isn't already booked up OR who wouldn't charge twice your original quote for such short notice.

The circumstances are in your favor. Use that advantage and be prepared to walk away from this time waster if it's not going to be worth it.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea


1. Your website clearly states what your minimum price is. Stick with it. She saw it before she contacted you.
2. This bride had months to shop around but stuck with you. Brides aren't stupid, and they and their helpers (MOB, MOG, Bridesmaids) shop around. If she knew that you're the only one within 100 miles and she even remotely considered that she would not be able to afford you, she would have made arrangements.
3. She's got 3 weeks to the wedding. I dare her to find any reputable baker beyond that 100 mile radius who isn't already booked up OR who wouldn't charge twice your original quote for such short notice.

The circumstances are in your favor. Use that advantage and be prepared to walk away from this time waster if it's not going to be worth it.




Yes!!!!
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea


Really? You run a cake charity too?

Here's what makes me feel 'sorry': the thought of you slaving over a cake that will probably have marginal if any profit for your business. $2.00 per serving and free delivery 40 miles away. I feel sorry for the family that will miss out on the 10-14 hours of your attention while you service this bride who can afford to have 150 guests at the newest resort in town but not your cake. I think I'm distraught now. Unless you're seriously strapped for the cash, I say spend the time with your loved ones and call it a day.

And while we are on the issue of negotiations a la the Knot article that was mentioned, let me point out the circumstances in your favor:

1. Your website clearly states what your minimum price is. Stick with it. She saw it before she contacted you.
2. This bride had months to shop around but stuck with you. Brides aren't stupid, and they and their helpers (MOB, MOG, Bridesmaids) shop around. If she knew that you're the only one within 100 miles and she even remotely considered that she would not be able to afford you, she would have made arrangements.
3. She's got 3 weeks to the wedding. I dare her to find any reputable baker beyond that 100 mile radius who isn't already booked up OR who wouldn't charge twice your original quote for such short notice.

The circumstances are in your favor. Use that advantage and be prepared to walk away from this time waster if it's not going to be worth it.



thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › After all this work- I'm too expensive??!!