I have a forced air convection oven at my bakery, and I CANNOT GET my chocolate cupcakes to come out like they should when I try and bake with the fan on.
- I make an oil based chocolate cake recipe.
- This recipe domes and bakes perfect at 375 in the regular oven - one pan at a time.
- ALL my other cake/cupcakes come out perfect in this oven (convection) except these stupid chocolate cupcakes.
- Full chocolate cakes turn out fantastic in this oven on convection, the ONLY problem I have is with cupcakes (mini and regular).
- All my other cake I bake at 325 convection (as long as I have more then one shelf in use). No. Problem. Beautiful domes, perfectly baked.
- I bake all my cupcakes in 24 count cupcake pans, and with all my other cupcakes I get best results if I bake the cupcake pans on sheet pans.
- The oven has either fan on/off. It does not have high/low.
- I cannot bake more then one pan on one rack with fan off, the top pan will rise properly, the bottom will not (just like you'd expect) so I have to figure this out!
- I do not own this oven or this kitchen, but at my insistence the thermostat was just replaced so I know the oven is in top working condition. It's not the oven, it's these stupid chocolate cupcakes.
Things I've tried over the past several months:
- Adjusting the temperature from 300-375 and all temperatures in between.
- Turning my pans at 5, 10 and 12 minute intervals (Different test batches, not all at one time).
- Deflecting air by putting sheet pans on any empty racks.
- Putting a sheet pan of water on the bottom rack to get some steam in the oven. That was a mess.
- Adjusting the amount of batter I put in the wrappers, from 1.25 oz to 1.85 oz. Yes, I weighed them. All my other cupcakes have 1.65 oz batter in each and as I've mentioned - are PERFECT.
This weekend I needed to bake 18 dozen chocolate cupcakes. I did not have any time to bake one rack at a time, so I did 10 dozen in the oven at once, 325 convection. They all blew over. Like this:
Of course, in disgust I went with them. They ain't pretty, but I wasn't about to re-make and bake 18 dozen chocolate cupcakes one pan at a time. I'm so irritated I put out a less then perfect product, and I'm even more irritated I can't figure this out.
So, if you have ANY suggestions not mentioned above I'd appreciate it! Please help me!