Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Is this a terrible cake business name?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this a terrible cake business name?

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Hi All,

I wanted to change the name of my still non established home bake shop. I wanted to name it"Cake Fetish", but my hubby says that that name is too raunchy? What does everyone think??

Thanks for replying!!
post #2 of 31
It's not bad. It's different. It all depends on the area you live in.
When I had a mobile concession stand I went by triple D Delights. It was for my three boys. There names begin with "D" and they are the delights of my life.
When I opened my cake shop I changed the name to 3-D Cakery not only for the 3-D Cakes but still for my 3 D boys. I felt if I left the name Triple D That Men Would be stopping by for pole dancers. Not cake.
Good luck on your name icon_biggrin.gif
cotton candy smiles ice cream dreams and cake always makes you happy!
Reply
cotton candy smiles ice cream dreams and cake always makes you happy!
Reply
post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

It's not bad. It's different. It all depends on the area you live in.
When I had a mobile concession stand I went by triple D Delights. It was for my three boys. There names begin with "D" and they are the delights of my life.
When I opened my cake shop I changed the name to 3-D Cakery not only for the 3-D Cakes but still for my 3 D boys. I felt if I left the name Triple D That Men Would be stopping by for pole dancers. Not cake.
Good luck on your name icon_biggrin.gif



I'm in New Jersey, and believe it or not in my area there's not allot of bakery who work with 3-D or sugar art cakes. I absloutly love the name but I'm afraid it might also send a wrong message....im torn. Love your business name and that it has a whole story behind it. I'm Egyptian married to a Cuban lol. If I don't go with that name I was thinking of incorporating something from the middle east side of me in to my name....aghhh so confused lol
post #4 of 31
I like it. Cake Fetish, I don't think people will get the wrong idea about what you sell. It's catchy, I would keep it.

Good Luck with it.

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada   www.TeriLovesCake.ca   Strictly Wheat & Gluten-Free         

 

Reply

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada   www.TeriLovesCake.ca   Strictly Wheat & Gluten-Free         

 

Reply
post #5 of 31
Thread Starter 
Oh thank you!!! I really do love that name..
post #6 of 31
I didn't have any dirty thoughts when I read it- I thought - someone who loves cakes!
Good name! - Keep it icon_smile.gif
I've learned so much from my mistakes..... I'm thinking of making a few more!
Reply
I've learned so much from my mistakes..... I'm thinking of making a few more!
Reply
post #7 of 31
I like it! icon_biggrin.gif
post #8 of 31
I like it too! I don't think raunchy when I see it. It's like saying someone has a shoe fetish...and there is nothing bad in that. icon_lol.gif
The effort you put into something is the reward you will get out of it.
Reply
The effort you put into something is the reward you will get out of it.
Reply
post #9 of 31
I think it's cute. Prolly the only folks who make something negative of it are the ones with weird things hidden in the back of their closets...........
He's still got the whole world in His hands.
Reply
He's still got the whole world in His hands.
Reply
post #10 of 31
All I can think about is the movie Bridesmaids where the letters in her business name Cake Baby had fallen off and someone creatively "filled in the blanks." LOLz.
post #11 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

All I can think about is the movie Bridesmaids where the letters in her business name Cake Baby had fallen off and someone creatively "filled in the blanks." LOLz.



lol thats too funny...i saw the Movie!

Thank you for your opinion love it!!
post #12 of 31
Is it raunchy? No. Is a good word to include in the name of a business? On my view no. Raunchy or not the term carries negative meanings--both in terms of literal meanings and associative meanings. The poster who said there is nothing wrong with a shoe fetish, on my view, does not have a good conception of the term fetish.

At worst it carries the ideas of sexual fixation and best it refers to irrational obsessions or idolatry (don't know what your religious beliefs are if any but it is part of the history of the term). To say someone loves shoes is not the same thing as characterizing them as having a shoe fetish. The latter implies they are irrationally obsessive about shoes--that is not a good way to characterize someone.

I doubt most people would think positively of someone who they meet for the first time who characterizes themselves as having a shoe fetish (even if they did not think of a sexual fixation). Relevant here because we are thinking of customers who see your business for the first time.

It is not simply a question of what you might think the term means. You must consider the general usage of the term and reactions people would give to seeing it in the name of the business. I do not think it is a stretch to say that most people would prefer a business named Cake Obsession than one named Cake Fetish.
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Is it raunchy? No. Is a good word to include in the name of a business? On my view no. Raunchy or not the term carries negative meanings--both in terms of literal meanings and associative meanings. The poster who said there is nothing wrong with a shoe fetish, on my view, does not have a good conception of the term fetish.

At worst it carries the ideas of sexual fixation and best it refers to irrational obsessions or idolatry (don't know what your religious beliefs are if any but it is part of the history of the term). To say someone loves shoes is not the same thing as characterizing them as having a shoe fetish. The latter implies they are irrationally obsessive about shoes--that is not a good way to characterize someone.

I doubt most people would think positively of someone who they meet for the first time who characterizes themselves as having a shoe fetish (even if they did not think of a sexual fixation). Relevant here because we are thinking of customers who see your business for the first time.

It is not simply a question of what you might think the term means. You must consider the general usage of the term and reactions people would give to seeing it in the name of the business. I do not think it is a stretch to say that most people would prefer a business named Cake Obsession than one named Cake Fetish.



Ok, so I'm innocent and naive and almost 30... to me fetish means you like something... how far someone wants to take a 'fetish' is up to the individual. So put your way, the word pry should not be used in a business name, but my mind does not work or think like that. Did not mean to start a controversy here, but she likes cakes, so please don't attack my innocent way of thinking. icon_smile.gif
The effort you put into something is the reward you will get out of it.
Reply
The effort you put into something is the reward you will get out of it.
Reply
post #14 of 31
If a .com website is important to you the domain is already being used. Again, just if it's a priority. I know that was one of the deal breakers for me when naming my business. I did not want a .net or substitute with additional unneeded words just to get a .com, etc... so if I couldn't get the .com of the direct name I liked I didn't consider the name.

HTH!
Tammy
Reply
Tammy
Reply
post #15 of 31
But she could put her state abbreviation behind it. It's minor and doesn't negatively affect the address.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Is this a terrible cake business name?