Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Why does my modeling chocolate always come out crumbly????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does my modeling chocolate always come out crumbly???? - Page 3

post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

I agree!! It sounds like you're overmixing it. I melt the wilton melts slowly (like the other people have mentioned), wait until they cool a bit, mix in my corn syrup until it begins to seize, then give it another one or two stirs.

Now, this is where my process differs from everyone...but I've had SO much luck with it, I'd recommend trying it. After I mix the chocolate/syrup mixture slightly, I blob it onto a piece of seran wrap, pat it down to 1/2" or so and watch over it (open - I don't cover it). Every few minutes I dab it with a paper towel to get rid of the wax. I do that until it stops weeping wax. I then let it sit and wait for about 1.5 hours until it's almost firm, but slightly flexible (I do not wait until the next day or when it gets hard hard...it needs to be stiff, but flexible when you pick it up)...THEN I knead it all up together like crazy and it smooths beautifully very quickly! Then I wrap it up for when I need it.

I tried doing this because I was having problems with little bits of dried chocolate/wax in my chocolate and I couldn't get them out. This way when I knead it while it's still pliable, I can really work all the chocolate smooth without breaking my hands. I've never had a problem with cracking/breaking modeling chocolate since!! Try it...you'll love it! icon_smile.gif



Hey Mrsmudrash (what a great name by the way!) icon_lol.gif I have a question on the red candy clay -- do you use the red candy melts? If so, have you noticed how freaking soft they are? Does your blotting method help with that at all?
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
post #32 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

I agree!! It sounds like you're overmixing it. I melt the wilton melts slowly (like the other people have mentioned), wait until they cool a bit, mix in my corn syrup until it begins to seize, then give it another one or two stirs.

Now, this is where my process differs from everyone...but I've had SO much luck with it, I'd recommend trying it. After I mix the chocolate/syrup mixture slightly, I blob it onto a piece of seran wrap, pat it down to 1/2" or so and watch over it (open - I don't cover it). Every few minutes I dab it with a paper towel to get rid of the wax. I do that until it stops weeping wax. I then let it sit and wait for about 1.5 hours until it's almost firm, but slightly flexible (I do not wait until the next day or when it gets hard hard...it needs to be stiff, but flexible when you pick it up)...THEN I knead it all up together like crazy and it smooths beautifully very quickly! Then I wrap it up for when I need it.

I tried doing this because I was having problems with little bits of dried chocolate/wax in my chocolate and I couldn't get them out. This way when I knead it while it's still pliable, I can really work all the chocolate smooth without breaking my hands. I've never had a problem with cracking/breaking modeling chocolate since!! Try it...you'll love it! icon_smile.gif



Hey Mrsmudrash (what a great name by the way!) icon_lol.gif I have a question on the red candy clay -- do you use the red candy melts? If so, have you noticed how freaking soft they are? Does your blotting method help with that at all?



I do use red candy melts and have noticed they are a bit soft, but after I roll it out, I'll let it sit for a few minutes before cutting my shape...it firms right up. If you want it to be firmer, just reduce the corn syrup by .5 oz or so until you get the consistency you like. For a 14oz bag, I use 2.5 oz of corn syrup (I weigh everything). I don't know if blotting the wax gives it more structure or not...I haven't noticed that part. I just don't like the wax to be present, especially because I work the candy clay before it completely hardens. I won't make candy clay any other way...I never get dried bits in my chocolate anymore because I can work them out while it's fresh, still a bit warm and very pliable. The consistency is dreamy! I use modeling chocolate for almost all my decorations on my cakes. I love love love working with it!
post #33 of 63
Dumb question--- Mrsmudrash, i just read your response so my question is to you. i read that you used both the words candy clay and modeling chocolate. are they used interchangeably? Im still new to this technique so i really dont know. i thought that if you used candy melts that was called candy clay and if you used chocolate that was called modeling chocolate. im a little confused.
post #34 of 63
Ps. love your blog. big fan!!
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Dumb question--- Mrsmudrash, i just read your response so my question is to you. i read that you used both the words candy clay and modeling chocolate. are they used interchangeably? Im still new to this technique so i really dont know. i thought that if you used candy melts that was called candy clay and if you used chocolate that was called modeling chocolate. im a little confused.



If you don't mind, I'll answer that as well -- they are the same thing. It's an interchangable term. After the melting of the candy melts and adding the corn syrup and letting it set up, the end result is then kneaded into a workable state. That is the consistency of a clay, and since it's made from a candy (not a fondant) it's called "candy clay." However, since it is chocolate and used for modeling purposes as well, it's also called "modeling chocolate." Get it? icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Dumb question--- Mrsmudrash, i just read your response so my question is to you. i read that you used both the words candy clay and modeling chocolate. are they used interchangeably? Im still new to this technique so i really dont know. i thought that if you used candy melts that was called candy clay and if you used chocolate that was called modeling chocolate. im a little confused.



First of all, no question is a stupid question!!! icon_smile.gif - we've ALL been there!!!

Yes, Bobwonderbuns (love the name! icon_smile.gif ) is right...they can be used interchangeably. I try to call it "candy clay" when I use candy melts and "modeling chocolate" when I'm using real chocolate. The candy melts are not real chocolate...so, I try to make the chocolate feel more important by calling it modeling chocolate! icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif But, they are basically the same thing! icon_smile.gif
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Ps. love your blog. big fan!!



Yeah! I hope it's helpful...that's what it's for!! icon_smile.gif
post #38 of 63
AKA: chocolate leather; chococlate plastic and candy clay as well..
post #39 of 63
thank you guys! thumbs_up.gif
post #40 of 63
Oh by the way, you have to watch the ounces in the candy melt bags -- Mercken's 1lb bag IS 16 oz. Wilton's is 14 oz and the new Wilton Colorburst Brights Candy Melts is a whopping ... (wait for it) ... 10 oz a bag!!!! Seriously, how cheap can they get??? icon_rolleyes.gif So just watch it because that will affect your final result.
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Oh by the way, you have to watch the ounces in the candy melt bags -- Mercken's 1lb bag IS 16 oz. Wilton's is 14 oz and the new Wilton Colorburst Brights Candy Melts is a whopping ... (wait for it) ... 10 oz a bag!!!! Seriously, how cheap can they get??? icon_rolleyes.gif So just watch it because that will affect your final result.



REALLY good point! That's like the silly Kraft marshmallows! I accidentally bought a 10oz bag to make MMF (it normally calls for a 16oz bag)! - I didn't know they had 10oz bags until my fondant was messed up! Stupid me for not being more observant! icon_wink.gif
post #42 of 63
Great stuff on this thread. Thanks!
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~Etienne de Grellet
Reply
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~Etienne de Grellet
Reply
post #43 of 63
thanks for the information on this thread!

i tried making 2 batches of modeling chocolate a few weeks ago and they both came out disastrous.
post #44 of 63
why do you say its bad to put in fridge? I put mine in to get it to set a wee bit then take it out and leave it at room temp, and have no problems....also I use the red....and love it, no more trouble getting red red icon_smile.gif.........I used modeling chocolate on snoopys roof in my pics if you care to look
Georgine
Reply
Georgine
Reply
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetdoescakes

why do you say its bad to put in fridge? I put mine in to get it to set a wee bit then take it out and leave it at room temp, and have no problems....also I use the red....and love it, no more trouble getting red red icon_smile.gif.........I used modeling chocolate on snoopys roof in my pics if you care to look



Nope that's not bad at all! It's bad when you forget and leave it in there because it's like trying to knead a rock! icon_smile.gif OUCH! icon_wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Why does my modeling chocolate always come out crumbly????