Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › August Scratch-off - MUD CAKE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

August Scratch-off - MUD CAKE! - Page 6

post #76 of 170
Wow, I don't know that this cake will make it 3 days to ripen. I just tried a small smidgen of it, and it is fabulous! However, it's for a party Sunday so I must resist the urge to eat it now! Of course, I can just rebake the cake with a different recipe... (sigh- this hobby can be so difficult sometimes.) icon_smile.gif
post #77 of 170
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry for being late. I had people taste my cake yesterday so I wanted to wait for the reviews before I posted.

After this scratch off, I can only say I love mud cakes and will definitely be baking them again.

My first cake was Bluehue's recipe. Very rich flavor and moist, dense texture and crumb. I find the recipe to be easy (just switched the step of mixing dry w. wet). Cost was nothing extreme. Depends what chocolate is being used.
Everyone who tasted it loved it and many asked for the recipe. I wish I had a mud-cake-experienced person taste it since I don't know if this was a true mud cake.

Then I made Pam's recipe. We all loved the flavor. I would describe the texture of this cake (to anyone who has not heard of mud cake) as a chocolate fudge cake. Very dense and moist as well.

I was wondering what fillings or frostings you would have with mud cakes besides ganache? If I want a filling that isn't chocolate flavor, what would you recommend?

Thank you all who shared your recipes.

I know September is a busy month for many. Let me know if you're still interested in starting another scratch-off in October (or later if you're interested but need more time). Then we can use this month to figure out cake flavor!
Sofia
Reply
Sofia
Reply
post #78 of 170
I haven't had a chance to make my mud, but I FINALLY got some context here - I think our version of Texas Sheet Cake is actually the same thing as the Aussie Mud! I HAVE had this before! I've never made one, but I've had it many times.

Check it out:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/chocolate-sheet-cake-recipe/index.html

The recipes are only slightly different. Funny, huh?
post #79 of 170
But it doesn't have chocolate? I mean "real pieces of chocolate melted."? Maybe that's the difference. I've never had any of the two.

Ree had this on her blog back in 2007. Recipe with photos.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_chocol/
post #80 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

I was wondering what fillings or frostings you would have with mud cakes besides ganache? If I want a filling that isn't chocolate flavor, what would you recommend?



Caramel and raspberry jam are the only ones I've done with mudcake, delicious!
post #81 of 170
I have not been able to try any of the mud cakes listed on the first page so I feel like I'm about to hijack the thread a bit, but I do have a question re. the crust on top of the cake. I use recipes from a book by Australian Women's Weekly. How does one avoid the crusty top? Is it simply a case of putting a bowl of water at the bottom of the oven to create some moisture? I bake at 150ºC, use baking strips and flower nails over 8".... Do all mud cakes bake up with a crust? I love eating it, but just wish I didn't get all that waste!
post #82 of 170
Some people say that just using a foil tent stops their crust. I do the boiling water trick: Immediately after your cake is out of the oven, brush freshly boiled water over the top. Wait for ten minutes, then repeat, and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the cake. Leave it in the tin overnight before taking the plastic off, and youll have a lovely soft top, no crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I have not been able to try any of the mud cakes listed on the first page so I feel like I'm about to hijack the thread a bit, but I do have a question re. the crust on top of the cake. I use recipes from a book by Australian Women's Weekly. How does one avoid the crusty top? Is it simply a case of putting a bowl of water at the bottom of the oven to create some moisture? I bake at 150ºC, use baking strips and flower nails over 8".... Do all mud cakes bake up with a crust? I love eating it, but just wish I didn't get all that waste!
post #83 of 170
Thanks Zespri, but to be honest the crust I get is about 0.5cm - 1cm thick, so I'm not sure that brushing it with water is going to work. I also get a kind of horizontal split (not a split like you would get on a loaf type cake, I hope I'm making sense!). It's like the cake top cooks too fast and as the centre catches up and rises, it pushes the cooked cake top up and makes it split. The whole top of the cake is crunchy! I might try putting foil over the tins (I bake in 3" tins, don't know if that would make any difference).
post #84 of 170
Yes, how you described it is how all mine come out. Honestly, try brushing the water and the plastic wrap, it really does work icon_smile.gif The horizontal split always happens to me too. At least with brown choc muds. I have heard that laying a piece of baking paper over the top stops it, but haven't tried it yet.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Thanks Zespri, but to be honest the crust I get is about 0.5cm - 1cm thick, so I'm not sure that brushing it with water is going to work. I also get a kind of horizontal split (not a split like you would get on a loaf type cake, I hope I'm making sense!). It's like the cake top cooks too fast and as the centre catches up and rises, it pushes the cooked cake top up and makes it split. The whole top of the cake is crunchy! I might try putting foil over the tins (I bake in 3" tins, don't know if that would make any difference).
post #85 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Thanks Zespri, but to be honest the crust I get is about 0.5cm - 1cm thick, so I'm not sure that brushing it with water is going to work. I also get a kind of horizontal split (not a split like you would get on a loaf type cake, I hope I'm making sense!). It's like the cake top cooks too fast and as the centre catches up and rises, it pushes the cooked cake top up and makes it split. The whole top of the cake is crunchy! I might try putting foil over the tins (I bake in 3" tins, don't know if that would make any difference).



I got the same thing too, but doing exactly what Zespri says to do actually works. You get a soft top and the split seals shut.
post #86 of 170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

I was wondering what fillings or frostings you would have with mud cakes besides ganache? If I want a filling that isn't chocolate flavor, what would you recommend?



Caramel and raspberry jam are the only ones I've done with mudcake, delicious!



Thank you! Both sound wonderful!
Sofia
Reply
Sofia
Reply
post #87 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1


I got the same thing too, but doing exactly what Zespri says to do actually works. You get a soft top and the split seals shut.



OK, I'll try the water/film with the next one this week, but I am going to cover the tins with a foil tent whilst baking too. Thanks to you both!
post #88 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

I was wondering what fillings or frostings you would have with mud cakes besides ganache? If I want a filling that isn't chocolate flavor, what would you recommend?



Caramel and raspberry jam are the only ones I've done with mudcake, delicious!



I just have to add that I love using cookies and cream filling as well. Whip up a cup of cream with two tablespoons sugar and add a sleeve of oreos, crushed. Goes great with mudcake! (A half recipe is plenty to fill one 8- or 9-inch cake with one layer of filling.)
post #89 of 170
Wow this is such an awesome thread. I just made the chocolate 'syrup' for my first dark chocolate mudcake. Has anyone tried using cake flour in place of the All purpose flour? I tend to have more cake flour on hand than APF and I'm hoping it would work.

I'm using the planet cakes recipe (less coffee though) for this one.
post #90 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

Wow this is such an awesome thread. I just made the chocolate 'syrup' for my first dark chocolate mudcake. Has anyone tried using cake flour in place of the All purpose flour? I tend to have more cake flour on hand than APF and I'm hoping it would work.

I'm using the planet cakes recipe (less coffee though) for this one.



mudcakes are very dense, which is pretty much the opposite of cake flour. No, never tried it, but I'd be keen to hear how it turns out!

What's the syrup for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › August Scratch-off - MUD CAKE!