I was thinking one month will give enough time to bake two (or more) cakes. So we can plan to have our reviews back before the end of the month.
(*And if there is enough interest in these I thought a good idea would be to start a new scratch-off every other month so that in Sep. we vote for a new flavor (or type) and collect recipes so the next bake-off would start in Oct.)
Anyway, let's keep in similar to previous scratch-offs when it comes to rules and testing. But I've added some new ones after reading through some comments.
1. Please follow the recipe and don't make substitutions for ingredients. The recipes can be halved, cut in thirds, or quartered if needed.
2. Be honest without being cruel.
3. Please try at least two recipes.
4. Cake should be eaten PLAIN at room temperature when evaluated.
5. Bonus if you are able to take pictures (and post a link to a pic. gallery)
4. Ease of recipe
6. 3-day test: evaluate flavor, texture/crumb and moistness again three days after cake was bakes (and from what I've read about mud cakes, it should only get better)
Here are two points I wanted to see what you all think about. Usually, it's helpful to try a recipe for cupcakes. Can mudcake recipes be converted into cupcakes? Should we try?
Also, for those who freeze our cakes before sampling. Should we all do the same, or should it just be mentioned? (Since it will affect the end result).
Lastly, I added the recipes for white chocolate as well but the main bake-off will be the chocolate recipes!
PAMS CHOCOLATE MUDCAKE
20cm round Double quantity does 24cm round 2-1/2 inch deep
250g unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1-1/3 cups warm water
1-1/2 cups self raising flour
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Grease and line base and sides of cake pan with one thickness of baking paper, bringing paper 5cm above side of pan.
2. Combine chopped butter, chopped chocolate, coffee, and water in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Cool 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl of mixer.
3. Add caster sugar to mixture and beat well until dissolved. Add sifted flour and cocoa, lightly beaten eggs and vanilla.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
5. Bake at 150′C for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Test with skewer. Cool cake in pan.
EXCLUSIVELY FOODS CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE
Serves at least 16.
250g chocolate (we use 125g dark chocolate and 125g milk chocolate)
250g butter (if using unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon salt with the butter)
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules/powder
188ml (3/4 cup) water
325g (2 cups plus 2 tablespoons) plain flour
30g (1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons) cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
550g (2 1/2 cups) caster sugar
4 large eggs (we use eggs with a minimum weight of 59g)
2 tablespoons (40ml) oil (we use peanut oil, but any mild-flavoured oil could be used)
1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
125ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (not fan-forced).
Grease the side and base of a deep 23cm or 24cm diameter (inside top measurement) round cake pan. We use a springform pan for easy removal of the cake. Line base and side of the pan with non-stick baking paper, extending the paper a few centimetres above the top rim of the pan.
Place 250g chocolate, butter, coffee and water in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. When chocolate and butter have melted, remove mixture from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm/room temperature. © exclusivelyfood.com.au
Sift the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda together into a very large bowl.
Add the caster sugar to the bowl with the flour mixture, and stir the ingredients together until well combined. For this recipe, we prefer to use a whisk to stir ingredients together.
In a medium bowl, place eggs, oil, vanilla and buttermilk.
Whisk the wet ingredients together until well combined.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
Add the chocolate mixture to the egg and flour mixture in a three batches, stirring until combined after each addition.
Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes (24cm pan) or 1 hour and 30 minutes (23cm pan). Insert a thin-bladed knife or wooden skewer into the centre of the cake to test whether it is cooked through. If the knife/skewer comes out clean or with moist crumbs (not gooey batter) attached, the cake is ready.
Remove cake from oven, cover with a clean tea towel and allow to cool in the pan.
When the cake has cooled to room temperature, remove it from the pan. The top surface of the cake will probably have a crunchy crust, which you may wish to trim off. We turn the cake upside down to give a flat surface for icing.
DARK CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE
150gms dark chocolate buttons (I use Callebaut)
1 cup of milk
440gms granulated sugar
2 extra large eggs
4tbs whiskey (80mls)
80gms self raising flour
120gms plain flour
100gms unsweetened cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. Heat milk and sugar in a heavy pan, once heated (do not allow it to boil)
3. Add butter and stir until melted
4. Add dark buttons and stir till all combined. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
5. Sift flours and cocoa together.
6. Add the two eggs and whiskey to the cooled liquid mixture above and then whisk in the flours.
7. Pour in a 8" round pan, and bake for 60-70 minutes, until done. It's done when a wooden skewer inserted in to the center comes out clean.(This cake can take considerably longer, i just baked one and a half recipes in a 10 inch pan and that took almost 3
BLUEHUES DARK CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE
250g unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 & 2/3 cup coconut milk
200g dark chocolate
2 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Dutch cocoa)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 150C A SLOW OVEN FOR US IS = 150c = 275/300F
And Line tins with baking paper.
2. Combine butter, coffee powder, coconut milk, chocolate and sugar in a saucepan and stir until melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. Sift dry ingredients in a bowl, add chocolate mixture, whisk until combined. Add eggs and vanilla, whisk.
4. Pour into tins
5. Bake in slow oven for about 1hr and 45 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool in tin.
This cake improves each day and is at its peak on about day 3. It also freezes really well
WHITE CHOCOLATE MUD CAKES:
Recommended by FrecklesCakes
250g unsalted butter, chopped
200g white chocolate, chopped coarsely
2¼ cups (450g) firmly packed brown sugar
1½ cups (375ml) water
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 eggs, beaten lightly
125g butter, chopped
3/4c - 1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (80ml) milk
1½ cups (240g) icing sugar mixture
1. Preheat oven to slow (150°C/130°C fan-forced). Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above edge of pan.
2. Combine butter, chocolate, sugar and the water in medium saucepan; stir over low heat until mixture is smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool 15 minutes. Whisk in flours, then essence and eggs.
3. Pour mixture into prepared pan; bake in slow oven about 2 hours. Stand in pan 10 minutes; turn onto wire rack to cool.
4. Place cake, top side up, on serving plate; spread cold cake with caramel frosting.
Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes, cool. Gradually stir in icing sugar until frosting is of spreadable consistency.
Shared by Bluehue
250g white chocolate
1 1/2 cups sugar
.......Melt all of these together in a saucepan
1 cup SR flour...sifted
1 3/4 cup plain flour...sifted
1/2 cup sourcream
AND I ADD I TEASPOON OF VANILLA PASTE - WHICH WASN'T IN THE ORIGINAL RECIPE.,,,,makes a differance -
......Mix into chocolate mixture.
Bake at 160C for up to 2 hours - this is for a 10" round cake tin but will all depend on tin used and your oven
I use this for cupcakes and cakes
My oven is fan forced so i knock the temp own during the last 45 mins.
Ok! Please use this list for "signing up" to a recipe. Copy the lastly made list, paste it into your post and add your name to the recipes you would like to try.
1) Pam's Chocolate Mud Cake
2) Exclusively Food's Chocolate Mud Cake
3) Dark Chocolate Mud Cake
4) Bluehue's Dark Chocolate Mud Cake
5) FrecklesCakes' White Chocolate Mud Cake
6) Bluehue's White Chocolate Mud Cake
Oh, and please let me know if there was anything I forgot to include!