Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › How to get extremely sharp edges wtih just BC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to get extremely sharp edges wtih just BC - Page 2

post #16 of 34
Whenever I do my cakes I first crumb coat a thin thin layer, then do a real coating of frosting. I will SWEAR by using a 6" spackling tool/trowel for the sides of a cake - it is SO easy to use. The best part about it is that as you spin the cake around while holding the trowel steady, it pushes excess frosting towards the top. Then all you need to do is take an offset spatula and smooth it from the outside in, cleaning the spatula off after each swipe.

You can refrigerate from there, and then use an offset spatula that has been run under hot hot water and dried to smooth out any residual bumps.

Might sound like a lot, but it works perfectly for me every time!
Check out my baking blog!
http://katssweetsomethings.com
Reply
Check out my baking blog!
http://katssweetsomethings.com
Reply
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by knlcox

Yes, Jessica, please post a video on the Aussie method using a square cake! Watching a video helps quite a bit as I'm a visual learner.



DONE! I have a cake coming up at the end of the month so I'll make it into a square cake (for the design) and video it! icon_smile.gif I'll make sure it's short enough to fit on youtube this time! icon_smile.gif

Stay tuned!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
post #18 of 34
I tried the Aussie method yesterday after reading this post. I love it!!! The main problem that I ran into is the square board on top kept shifting. I was using a cake dummy so I hope that is why. I will definately keep practicing this. icon_smile.gif
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumab02

I tried the Aussie method yesterday after reading this post. I love it!!! The main problem that I ran into is the square board on top kept shifting. I was using a cake dummy so I hope that is why. I will definately keep practicing this. icon_smile.gif



If that happens, all you have to do is stick it in the fridge for 15 min or so until that top frosting sets up a bit...then it'll stick! icon_smile.gif
post #20 of 34
Just when I thought the upside-down method was the THING, you give me the Aussie method! My day just got so much better! Thank you! Can't wait to try it and also see your video Jessica.
post #21 of 34
mrsmudrash...when doing the Aussie method, what type of cake boards do YOU use & how thick are they?
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

mrsmudrash...when doing the Aussie method, what type of cake boards do YOU use & how thick are they?



I've just used regular cardboard cake boards with the shiny side down so it comes off easier. I'm actually going to get some masonite boards and try those. The problem I have with cardboard is when I put the bench scraper along the sides I get small vertical lines due to the corrugation of the cardboard. I hate it! I don't do cakes very often so I've just made it work, but I'm getting some masonite boards next week!!! I'm not sure if I'll have them in time for the video...so, we'll see! icon_smile.gif
post #23 of 34
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Looking forward to seeing your video!
post #24 of 34
Oh Jessica- I'm anxiously awaiting the video of the Aussie technique-- I have viewed your upside-down techniques a few times (no.. I'm not stalking-ha), but- I cant seem to get it to work that great for me- Thank you to both you and Jeff for sharing it-

I need some desperate help- ha!! A picture is worth a thousand words!!

Also- Thank you to all CC's who are so kind in sharing their knowledge, their encouragemnet, their beautiful photos and not least, their support- it means so much, especially to beginners (as I am)-

Have the BEST day everyone-

Mo
post #25 of 34
I tried it again yesterday, put the frosting on top of the cake, let it refridgerate for a bit, then used the aussie tecnique. It worked so much better! Thanks for the tip.
post #26 of 34
save!
It's a hobby I wish I had the guts to make a career!
Reply
It's a hobby I wish I had the guts to make a career!
Reply
post #27 of 34
Sorry it's taken me forever to get the video done!! I had intended to do it long before now, but sickness, school and more has kept me beyond busy!!

But, I have some good news!!! - I just wanted to let you all know that around the first of the year Cake Central is going to completely change it's look and will be able to support video!!! They've asked me to take part in some video tutorials and this is video will be one of them!! So, you'll have to wait a bit longer so it's first seen here on CC!!! You can check my blog and stay tuned there because I'll post links, or you can just wait until CC goes live and check out the new video section.

It's going to be amazing!!! I love Cake Central and all they do to help us cake makers!!!
post #28 of 34
I can't wait to see your videos. Your blog is wonderful.
Visit me at www.keeponcaking.com for tutorials and other cake stuff.
Reply
Visit me at www.keeponcaking.com for tutorials and other cake stuff.
Reply
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

Sorry it's taken me forever to get the video done!! I had intended to do it long before now, but sickness, school and more has kept me beyond busy!!

But, I have some good news!!! - I just wanted to let you all know that around the first of the year Cake Central is going to completely change it's look and will be able to support video!!! They've asked me to take part in some video tutorials and this is video will be one of them!! So, you'll have to wait a bit longer so it's first seen here on CC!!! You can check my blog and stay tuned there because I'll post links, or you can just wait until CC goes live and check out the new video section.

It's going to be amazing!!! I love Cake Central and all they do to help us cake makers!!!



While this sounds very exciting I'm afraid of all the bugs that are going to happen as a result! I just got CC back to where I can see the home page now and upload photos! Geesh! I hope it goes well, because I'd love to see those tutorials on here! It's a great idea.

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply
post #30 of 34
THanks for the info- will try it soon!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › How to get extremely sharp edges wtih just BC