Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Venue Called - Where's The Wedding Cake? HUH?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Venue Called - Where's The Wedding Cake? HUH?

post #1 of 108
Thread Starter 
What a weekend it has been! Saturday was a very intense day of weddings, and everything seemed to be going wrong. It was definitely a Murphy's Law type of day. My business partner and I finished our deliveries for the day and were getting a bite to eat. I noticed that there were several voicemail messages on my phone. So I went outside to check them thinking something happened to one of the cakes we delivered. Well, it was a venue and other vendors calling asking where Jane Doe wedding cake was as the wedding was starting, and we were listed as the cake vendor. icon_surprised.gif What!? I have no idea what you're talking about? We didn't have a cake contracted at the venue today for Jane Doe. (As a side note, it is a venue that we work with that offers packages to the their clients that includes the cake. We send an invoice to the venue, and receive payment from them rather than the bride.)

So I try calling the venue back without success. I finally get ahold of the DJ. She said that we were supposed to do the wedding cake and that everyone was wanting to know why we weren't there. I had no idea what they were talking about and explained to her that we were not contracted to do the wedding cake. I went through the scenario, but I could tell she thought I was not being truthful and said that I needed to produce a cake. icon_cry.gif

I get my computer out to look up the client's name to try and figure out what could have happened. I had met with the MOB informally back on February 22. We discussed wedding cakes in general, and I provided her a ballpark estimate based on a simple design. She took the information with her, and I documented on the estimate that it was for reference only. She said she would discuss everything with her daughter and that she would be in touch. If her daughter was good with everything, they would contact me to schedule a consultation and tasting for the bride.

To this day, I never heard back from the MOB. Never received a phone call or email so I assumed they decided to go with another cake vendor. Again, they never selected a design or cake flavors, and the bride or her mom never signed a contract. We never received any money from the venue either for the wedding cake. Despite all of that, apparently the MOB thought that telling the venue we were doing the cake was notification and a contract for us to do the cake.

So now the venue, caterer, DJ, MOB, bride, and the 150 guests think that we failed to deliver the bride a wedding cake. I am so devastated. Although we did not do anything wrong and did not have a contract, it will have devastating results for our business.

So how do I handle thie sitation from here? I'm supposed to contact the venue on Monday to "explain" myself, and more than likely the relationsihp there is severed. I'm going to have to deal with an upset bride and MOB on Monday as well. I fully expect them to leave negative reviews for us on the wedding websites as well. I just have no idea how this woman could have walked away without any type of design, flavors, or signed contract and think that we were doing her daughter's cake.

Thanks for letting me VENT...
post #2 of 108
Wow...what an awful thing to happen to you! To be fair, I don't see how anyone could say this was your doing. You have the initial paperwork that shows where it was left off.

I tell you if it was me I would be the one going on the attack and not let them try and make you feel it was your fault. Demand to know why someone--either the MOB or the venue didn't at least contact you regarding this date. How are you supposed to know what size cake, what flavor, what design to do unless someone informs you! Who doesn't check with vendors for final confirmations? Why wouldn't the venue call you to inform you of the time of the reception? Someone dropped the ball but it sure wasn't you!

Hang in there and let us know what happens. You have nothing to be ashamed of...I just hope you're not made the scapegoat.

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply
post #3 of 108
Thread Starter 
Thanks, and I hope we're not made the scapegoat either. The meeting with the MOB wasn't even what I would consider a consultation. It was very informal, and it was no different than her or someone calling and asking our pricing for wedding cakes. It was very general. With how this transpired, it would be like me assuming we were doing a cake for every person that called or came into our shop making a general pricing inquiry or asking if we are available for their wedding date. That is how ridiculous this is.
post #4 of 108
I doubt that the MOB thought the cake was all taken care of( I cannot see how) most likely she got caught up with other things perhaps and forgot all about the cake and at the last minute when she realized what she had done...blamed you for the whole thing. I would speak to the bride herself and let her know the conversation that took place with her mother. Good luck, hang in there!
post #5 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

I doubt that the MOB thought the cake was all taken care of( I cannot see how) most likely she got caught up with other things perhaps and forgot all about the cake and at the last minute when she realized what she had done...blamed you for the whole thing. I would speak to the bride herself and let her know the conversation that took place with her mother. Good luck, hang in there!



And that's another thing...where was the bride in all this?? Since when does a bride let her mother make all the decisions? You never met or talked with the bride about style or colors or flavors. This is totally ridiculous!

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply
post #6 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeacakea

What a weekend it has been! Saturday was a very intense day of weddings, and everything seemed to be going wrong. It was definitely a Murphy's Law type of day. My business partner and I finished our deliveries for the day and were getting a bite to eat. I noticed that there were several voicemail messages on my phone. So I went outside to check them thinking something happened to one of the cakes we delivered. Well, it was a venue and other vendors calling asking where Jane Doe wedding cake was as the wedding was starting, and we were listed as the cake vendor. icon_surprised.gif What!? I have no idea what you're talking about? We didn't have a cake contracted at the venue today for Jane Doe. (As a side note, it is a venue that we work with that offers packages to the their clients that includes the cake. We send an invoice to the venue, and receive payment from them rather than the bride.)

So I try calling the venue back without success. I finally get ahold of the DJ. She said that we were supposed to do the wedding cake and that everyone was wanting to know why we weren't there. I had no idea what they were talking about and explained to her that we were not contracted to do the wedding cake. I went through the scenario, but I could tell she thought I was not being truthful and said that I needed to produce a cake. icon_cry.gif

I get my computer out to look up the client's name to try and figure out what could have happened. I had met with the MOB informally back on February 22. We discussed wedding cakes in general, and I provided her a ballpark estimate based on a simple design. She took the information with her, and I documented on the estimate that it was for reference only. She said she would discuss everything with her daughter and that she would be in touch. If her daughter was good with everything, they would contact me to schedule a consultation and tasting for the bride.

To this day, I never heard back from the MOB. Never received a phone call or email so I assumed they decided to go with another cake vendor. Again, they never selected a design or cake flavors, and the bride or her mom never signed a contract. We never received any money from the venue either for the wedding cake. Despite all of that, apparently the MOB thought that telling the venue we were doing the cake was notification and a contract for us to do the cake.

So now the venue, caterer, DJ, MOB, bride, and the 150 guests think that we failed to deliver the bride a wedding cake. I am so devastated. Although we did not do anything wrong and did not have a contract, it will have devastating results for our business.

So how do I handle thie sitation from here? I'm supposed to contact the venue on Monday to "explain" myself,
icon_confused.gif You *have to* explain yourself - excuse me - no you don't.
As you said above - you have nothing in writting - no signed contract nor a deposit.
Don't let the Venue walk all over you - stand tall - Print out what you have documented on your pc - then step back and wait for them to *explain themselves*.
I am thinking that this might be a case of others knew but didn't advise you - hmmmm
I agree, what everyone thinks can do harn to your bsuiness - but in this case - others have more explaining to do than you and your partner.
And if the Venue starts getting a bit *iffffy* then ask them - "Would you cater for a wedding reception on a one off chat from the MOB back in Feb?

and more than likely the relationsihp there is severed. I'm going to have to deal with an upset bride and MOB on Monday as well.
Pfftttt - i wouldn't be dealing with her at all - its up to them to contact you - let the venue sort it....why create a headache for yourself?

I fully expect them to leave negative reviews for us on the wedding websites as well. Can you enter that website and also leave a comment along the lines of...
How sad that noone actually ordered a cake from us icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif


I just have no idea how this woman could have walked away without any type of design, flavors, or signed contract and think that we were doing her daughter's cake.
There is your answer as to why there was no cake - thumbs_up.gif

I wonder if the gown the bride wore was designed and made due to a one off chat with the MOB
And the flowers
And the music/DJ

Vent away - but honestly - someone else has more explaining to do than you do.

Bluehue

Thanks for letting me VENT...
post #7 of 108
You say the venue offers packages to the bride and that your cake can be part of that package? Well, they must have some paperwork regarding the cake. You take your paperwork, and ask to see theirs - let them prove that you knew about it.
It really sounds like everyone is trying to pass the buck to you.
Chin up, you have done nothing wrong - what an awful position for you to be put in.
post #8 of 108
Um, hello? They never PAID you for a cake. How exactly did they expect to be getting a cake without paying for one, aside from the fact that they never ordered one??? Unless maybe they paid the venue and the venue is the one that screwed it all up, in which case, the venue also never paid you. So in any case, not your fault. No money, no cake for you. Ah, I know, the name of your business must be "The Psychic Baker" so they just thought about ordering a cake and assumed you would know that obviously you were supposed to make and deliver the cake lol. Seriously, I think some people are just plain nuts. If they start posting negative comments I'd send them a nice letter defining slander and libel for them.
post #9 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

Um, hello? They never PAID you for a cake. How exactly did they expect to be getting a cake without paying for one, aside from the fact that they never ordered one??? Unless maybe they paid the venue and the venue is the one that screwed it all up, in which case, the venue also never paid you. So in any case, not your fault. No money, no cake for you. Ah, I know, the name of your business must be "The Psychic Baker" so they just thought about ordering a cake and assumed you would know that obviously you were supposed to make and deliver the cake .



Hey I ordered a cake from the Psychic Baker for next week, I never really contacted her,I don't know what flavor, what design, or how I am gonna pay for it, but I'm sure it will be here on the correct date...after all I sent my order with my mindddd!
post #10 of 108
I don't know what to say... I guess you can say, I'm speechless!
post #11 of 108
um... this is re-dicky-donkulous!! she has no contract, therefor she has no cake. the end. what a mess. i can't imagine her thinking she was getting a cake when she never picked flavor, colors, design nothing??
A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece ~Ludwig Erhard
Reply
A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece ~Ludwig Erhard
Reply
post #12 of 108
No contract + No money = No Cake
Love cakes!!
Valerie
Reply
Love cakes!!
Valerie
Reply
post #13 of 108
I've been really trying to be a bit more Zen in my life...peace, love and understanding ..but I must say your situation brings to mind a saying my dear mum was fond of saying: "They bite the hand that feeds them, and lick the boot that kicks them". I'm not suggesting you give them all a swift kick but I concur that you should not feel defensive.
No license or insurance. Put lead wires in cakes, never wash hands, cake boards are used cardboard. No contracts cause I can't read or write. No lawyer cause I'm judgment proof. I bake with old mix boxes found behind Walmart. Now about my question
Reply
No license or insurance. Put lead wires in cakes, never wash hands, cake boards are used cardboard. No contracts cause I can't read or write. No lawyer cause I'm judgment proof. I bake with old mix boxes found behind Walmart. Now about my question
Reply
post #14 of 108
WOW!!! icon_surprised.gif what a day!!
I feel your pain just reading this, hope everything gets straightened out soon..
Jodi icon_smile.gif
post #15 of 108
let us know how your meeting goes.......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Venue Called - Where's The Wedding Cake? HUH?