Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Been trying scratch recipes all week...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Been trying scratch recipes all week... - Page 7

post #91 of 123
Thread Starter 
I wasn't going to mention my results from trying pudding in the cake, but... I just came across something in this book that explains why this happened to me and it's nothing to do with the pudding.

For one cake, I made the pudding before adding it to the batter - as you know, it didn't really turn out.. too dense.

For another cake, I took some advice here and added just the pudding as a powder, that didn't turn out either as there were strange 'holes' throughout my cake after.

At the time, I assumed, that I the method of pre-making the pudding first was better, but now I realize that the holes probably had NOTHING to do with the pudding!

According to this book, you should mix the flour and the leveners (baking powder, etc.) with the mixer for 30 seconds at medium speed, if you don't, the levener will not be uniformly distributed in the flour and the cake can have numerous unsightly large holes (which is what happened to me!)

Okay, thanks for listening, I'll shut up now, lol! icon_biggrin.gif
post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I wasn't going to mention my results from trying pudding in the cake, but... I just came across something in this book that explains why this happened to me and it's nothing to do with the pudding.

For one cake, I made the pudding before adding it to the batter - as you know, it didn't really turn out.. too dense.

For another cake, I took some advice here and added just the pudding as a powder, that didn't turn out either as there were strange 'holes' throughout my cake after.

At the time, I assumed, that I the method of pre-making the pudding first was better, but now I realize that the holes probably had NOTHING to do with the pudding!

According to this book, you should mix the flour and the leveners (baking powder, etc.) with the mixer for 30 seconds at medium speed, if you don't, the levener will not be uniformly distributed in the flour and the cake can have numerous unsightly large holes (which is what happened to me!)

Okay, thanks for listening, I'll shut up now, lol! icon_biggrin.gif



Absolutely this is true. I whisk this all together and then sift twice to make sure it is all incorporated. This is one of those things that I wish they would be more consistent in adding to baking books.

If you want to read more about that subject, check out The Cake Bible. She also goes into detail on this.

The only thing I disagree with Shirley's book is using self-rising flour and butter flavored Crisco. Okay 2 things.
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
post #93 of 123
The_Sugar_Fairy, I read Bakewise long ago. I got the digital version that I keep on my laptop at all times.

That thorough mixing of the the powders is the one thing I do consistently. I put the mixer bowl on my scale with the sifter on top and start adding the powders by weight then take the bowl to the mixer and turn it on. I do it for longer than 30 seconds, but since there's no liquid in there, it doesn't matter that I go a little longer.

And come back with the results of your testing! It's fun!
post #94 of 123
Thread Starter 
So I tried the 'Magnificent Moist Golden Cake' from the CakeWise book today, and I'm disappointed to say it was just okay for me. Sylvia Weinstock's cake (with the sour cream) is by far the best scratch cake I've made so far! I knew I'd go back to that one, lol! Sylvia's cake is so moist!
I am going to buy the CakeWise book though because there is so much wonderful information in there and lots more recipes to try, from cakes to pies to cookies.
So... the winner is Sylvia Weinstock's 'Classic Yellow Cake'! I've been using only half the egg whites though so that my cake is denser (for covering in fondant). I do wish the flavour was a little less eggy, but as I said before, maybe I just need to wait for it to settle (instead of trying it almost right out of the oven). So I totally understand now why lots of you are saying this is an amazing cake! Thanks for everyone's help!
post #95 of 123
The_Sugar_Fairy, when you buy the book, make sure to read the whole chapter before you try anything.

Shirley sometimes includes the original recipe that she is going to fix. If someone opens the book and just uses a recipe without reading carefully, the wrong one could be chosen. Sometimes she tells you the recipe is there so that you can see what changes she's made, but not to bake it.

I still have to make SW classic yellow cake. Thanks for all the input. Happy baking!
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

So I tried the 'Magnificent Moist Golden Cake' from the CakeWise book today, and I'm disappointed to say it was just okay for me. Sylvia Weinstock's cake (with the sour cream) is by far the best scratch cake I've made so far! I knew I'd go back to that one, lol! Sylvia's cake is so moist!
I am going to buy the CakeWise book though because there is so much wonderful information in there and lots more recipes to try, from cakes to pies to cookies.
So... the winner is Sylvia Weinstock's 'Classic Yellow Cake'! I've been using only half the egg whites though so that my cake is denser (for covering in fondant). I do wish the flavour was a little less eggy, but as I said before, maybe I just need to wait for it to settle (instead of trying it almost right out of the oven). So I totally understand now why lots of you are saying this is an amazing cake! Thanks for everyone's help!



I have to agree with your assessment of the recipe. It was an okay cake for all the work involved. I was not thrilled enough to make it a second time.

The classic yellow cake is one of those cakes where the egg whites are whipped in separately. I'm not crazy about those kind of recipes as they just don't do anything for me like a good old butter cake does.
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
post #97 of 123
Has anyone tried cupcakes with Slyvia's recipe???
post #98 of 123
Yes. The cupcakes shrink just like the cake does, but it pulls the paper liner in and makes them small. They taste fine, but are not consistent with sizes of other recipes if you are selling them.
post #99 of 123
So, What is a good cupcake recipe?(Vanilla) I'm not really impressed with the Magnolia recipe.
post #100 of 123
Did you look at any of the scratch off threads? There are several for basic cake flavors (white, yellow, chocolate, and spice).

https://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-702778-.html&sid=30ec8aa2d7fd25a974c27e69c2d1b2be

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=639593&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-697411-.html&sid=267e9dbe5bd3b84c9f1fb90b64aff709

annie
post #101 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Yes. The cupcakes shrink just like the cake does, but it pulls the paper liner in and makes them small. They taste fine, but are not consistent with sizes of other recipes if you are selling them.



I have tried the cupcakes with her recipe, and I agree with scp1127, they do shrink.
post #102 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

The_Sugar_Fairy, when you buy the book, make sure to read the whole chapter before you try anything.

Shirley sometimes includes the original recipe that she is going to fix. If someone opens the book and just uses a recipe without reading carefully, the wrong one could be chosen. Sometimes she tells you the recipe is there so that you can see what changes she's made, but not to bake it.

I still have to make SW classic yellow cake. Thanks for all the input. Happy baking!



Yes, I noticed that! Luckily, I chose the right recipe the first time, lol! Not only does she include the original recipe that she's going to fix, but she also shows the recipe three or more times with each method (creaming, disolving, etc.), so you have to find out which method she recommends first and then use that recipe. So I agree, anyone buying the book, just be careful about that!
post #103 of 123
My favorite blogger just posted a new vanilla cake recipe. She's very thorough and her stuff usually works. I won't have time to try it yet, but here it is if anyone wants to.

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/07/fluffy-vanilla-cake-with-whipped-vanilla-bean-frosting/

Since people are asking about cupcakes, she's saying in the comments that she'll try it next week.
post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

My favorite blogger just posted a new vanilla cake recipe. She's very thorough and her stuff usually works. I won't have time to try it yet, but here it is if anyone wants to.

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/07/fluffy-vanilla-cake-with-whipped-vanilla-bean-frosting/

Since people are asking about cupcakes, she's saying in the comments that she'll try it next week.



She is probably going to have problems using the recipe as written - she is using RLV's White Velvet Cake with only a slight modification to the eggs and flour, and making cupcakes is something people have had problems with since the Cake Bible's release. We discovered that you have to lower the baking powder and add baking soda in order to make RLB's butter cakes to work for cupcakes, which RLB has since revised in Heavenly Cakes's Baby Cakes section.

I also just wrote a white cake blog post but was going to post it next week not knowing about hers - hope nobody thinks I'm following on her very awesome coat tails - but I have a different recipe... I broke down and tested the scratch WASC from here. Made some adjustments and I have to say - it's pretty good. icon_biggrin.gif
post #105 of 123
I think someone already made cupcakes (she's got followers who try stuff right away) in the comments and said they were great. But then again, I won't know the truth till I try them!

Is that the white velvet recipe or the Baking Bites? I thought she said Baking Bites, but I haven't compared those two (or three, now). I hardly had time to read it today. Working hard. lol.

FromScratchSF, I'll be waiting for your post! You're thorough, too, and you write a lot...which I like!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Been trying scratch recipes all week...