Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Customers expecting Walmart prices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Customers expecting Walmart prices - Page 4

post #46 of 73
Coral3, I used to own a marketing company. I am one of those that makes a mission statement and I build my business around that. Because my plan has been around a lot longer than my business, I haven't even learned those things. Again, it just comes down to marketing and presenting a clear message in the moment that you actually have someone's attention.
post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc727

This is annoying me so badly, but I'm sure everyone has dealt with it. Customers wanting time consuming cakes and only want to pay Walmart prices. I had a friend of a friend approach me to make a cake and cupcakes for her daughers 1st birthday. She wanted a carved cake and 7 dozen cupcakes, each one topped with a fondant or gumpaste flower. I quoted her $50 for the cake because it was small and covered in buttercream, and $2/ea for the cupcakes. She was appalled. If she wanted cheap, she should have gone to a grocery store or Walmart. icon_sad.gif There's no way I can make scratch made cakes and handmade accents for those prices, nor would I want to!



Walmart's prices are pretty reasonable. What you need to do is call around to all the bakeries in your area and see how much they charge for there cakes. I called around where i live today and for wedding cakes they range from $2 per slice too $3 per person. And the rest of the cakes just depend on the size of it.. Good luck
post #48 of 73
While I am new to this forum I'm a long time cake baker and decorator. Clients are no different in this industry than in my other profession - fine art. I do commissioned portraits and people uneducated in that field sometimes expect the same as cake clients: somethin' for nothin.'

Long ago I set my prices on both at a point which with I could live and make a living. I am not at all bothered by people who complain about what I KNOW to be reasonable prices for the work I do. I use only the best oils and canvas for portraits; I use only the best ingredients for cakes. If they were able to create either for themselves, they would be doing it. They cannot, so I do.

The best advice I can give to those just starting out with decorated cakes is not to underprice yourself so badly that people look at you as just the cheapest place to get a cake. WalMart brings in layers flash frozen months before, and in my area the hastily slapped on decorating is nothing short of atrocious.

People will tend to value your work in the same light you do.

The other suggestion I have is to treat this as a business from the get-go (unless you are indeed only doing it for fun). That means a hefty, non-refundable deposit to hold the date and full payment before the wedding!
Throughout my life I've often had to remind myself that the strongest steel is formed in the hottest fire. At my age, I am a force with which to be reckoned!
Reply
Throughout my life I've often had to remind myself that the strongest steel is formed in the hottest fire. At my age, I am a force with which to be reckoned!
Reply
post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerAnn

While I am new to this forum I'm a long time cake baker and decorator. Clients are no different in this industry than in my other profession - fine art. I do commissioned portraits and people uneducated in that field sometimes expect the same as cake clients: somethin' for nothin.'

Long ago I set my prices on both at a point which with I could live and make a living. I am not at all bothered by people who complain about what I KNOW to be reasonable prices for the work I do. I use only the best oils and canvas for portraits; I use only the best ingredients for cakes. If they were able to create either for themselves, they would be doing it. They cannot, so I do.

The best advice I can give to those just starting out with decorated cakes is not to underprice yourself so badly that people look at you as just the cheapest place to get a cake. WalMart brings in layers flash frozen months before, and in my area the hastily slapped on decorating is nothing short of atrocious.

People will tend to value your work in the same light you do.

The other suggestion I have is to treat this as a business from the get-go (unless you are indeed only doing it for fun). That means a hefty, non-refundable deposit to hold the date and full payment before the wedding!



thumbs_up.gif Very well said!

The longer we are in business, the less it bothers me when people balk at our prices. We have a formula for pricing, we know WHY we charge what we do, and if they don't want to pay what we charge, they don't truly want one of our cakes. They are not our customer, plain and simple. NEXT! icon_smile.gif
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
post #50 of 73
thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif
Throughout my life I've often had to remind myself that the strongest steel is formed in the hottest fire. At my age, I am a force with which to be reckoned!
Reply
Throughout my life I've often had to remind myself that the strongest steel is formed in the hottest fire. At my age, I am a force with which to be reckoned!
Reply
post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack06

Yupp ! She paid me what I quoted, and she drives a BMW ! I know she's a hard to please person I'm just glad it was nothing major. I'm sure they will enjoy the cake, It's a talent she lacks..



I definitely know how you feel! This just happened to me when I made my friend a very detailed flower pot cake for her mother's birthday. I charged her cost and made that very clear to her. I'm also unemployed and it took me 25 hours to make as I'm a newbie. Since I've known her over 10 years, I really thought she'd throw me a few dollars extra for the awesome cake I made for her, and she didn't give me a dime more. It's honestly not about the money, it's about the appreciation, and I certainly didn't see that from her! Live and learn! icon_eek.gif[img][/img]
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack06

Yupp ! She paid me what I quoted, and she drives a BMW ! I know she's a hard to please person I'm just glad it was nothing major. I'm sure they will enjoy the cake, It's a talent she lacks..



I definitely know how you feel! This just happened to me when I made my friend a very detailed flower pot cake for her mother's birthday. I charged her cost and made that very clear to her. I'm also unemployed and it took me 25 hours to make as I'm a newbie. Since I've known her over 10 years, I really thought she'd throw me a few dollars extra for the awesome cake I made for her, and she didn't give me a dime more. It's honestly not about the money, it's about the appreciation, and I certainly didn't see that from her! Live and learn! icon_eek.gif
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzunique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack06

Yupp ! She paid me what I quoted, and she drives a BMW ! I know she's a hard to please person I'm just glad it was nothing major. I'm sure they will enjoy the cake, It's a talent she lacks..



I definitely know how you feel! This just happened to me when I made my friend a very detailed flower pot cake for her mother's birthday. I charged her cost and made that very clear to her. I'm also unemployed and it took me 25 hours to make as I'm a newbie. Since I've known her over 10 years, I really thought she'd throw me a few dollars extra for the awesome cake I made for her, and she didn't give me a dime more. It's honestly not about the money, it's about the appreciation, and I certainly didn't see that from her! Live and learn! icon_eek.gif



You expected her to give you more money out of friendship, yet you didn't ask for it. If someone quotes me a price...friend or not...I pay for what was quoted.
Glad you learned early on! ;D

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply

If I am ever on life support, unplug me...

Then plug me back in.  See if that works!

Reply
post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzunique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack06

Yupp ! She paid me what I quoted, and she drives a BMW ! I know she's a hard to please person I'm just glad it was nothing major. I'm sure they will enjoy the cake, It's a talent she lacks..



I definitely know how you feel! This just happened to me when I made my friend a very detailed flower pot cake for her mother's birthday. I charged her cost and made that very clear to her. I'm also unemployed and it took me 25 hours to make as I'm a newbie. Since I've known her over 10 years, I really thought she'd throw me a few dollars extra for the awesome cake I made for her, and she didn't give me a dime more. It's honestly not about the money, it's about the appreciation, and I certainly didn't see that from her! Live and learn! icon_eek.gif

You told your friend you would make her cake at cost, and that you made it very clear to her you were only charging cost. I don't understand why you'd be upset your friend didn't pay you more money than what you quoted? Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I wouldn't expect my friends to pay me more than what I charged. If I wanted more money, I would have quoted a higher price.

If your friend went to the neighborhood bakery and ordered her cake, she would have paid what the bakery charged. She would not have given them a few dollars extra for the awesome cake they made for her. Theres really no difference between the bakery and yourself, when you think about it. You both charge customers, friends included for your work. If a discount is given to a friend, great, but to expect more money because the discount was given doesn't make sense. Why give the discount in the first place then?
Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.
Reply
Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.
Reply
post #55 of 73
I think some people just do not KNOW....

I am past that as far as my business, but recently a friend of mine requested 24 cupcakes last minute. "Sure" I said...."just pay me what you want, I don't even usually sell "only" 24 cupcakes so....yeah just pay me something."

Dumb me....I figured she'd at least pull out a $20 or something...she got here and carefully counted out $14 for her 2 dozen cupcakes.

I think that's how much they are at Sam's Club....(She would have freaked at my base price of $2.50/ea)

I really think she thought that was a fair price...somehow people have this idea that homemade stuff is cheaper than store bought stuff? (I'm a licensed home baker) when in reality, that $14 probably barely covered my supplies (though thankfully I had leftover icing)...box....cupcake insert...papers....cake...ingredients...etc.

I know to be booked next time. LOL. But it just really showed me how much people think cake is worth. About a year ago I quoted a good friend a three tiered fondant cake and said "I'll give you 50% off since you are a friend, and that will be this much" and they gulped and thought even the half off price was at the top end of their cake budget.

*Sigh*

That's why I hate working with people I know and prefer to just reach the clientele that do not mind paying boutique prices for a boutique cake!
post #56 of 73
and I'll again share a story ....

hubby did woodworking. friend wanted a stand made to hold a big fish tank (50 gallon? it was super huge). hubby sketched out a rough idea and quoted sometihng like $200 ----- $250 (super discounted for a 'friend'). Friend went thru the roof and said, "I was only planning on paying around ten bucks!!"

Ten bucks. For a wood stand, that is hand crafted, and strong enough to hold a fish tank full of water. Really? REALLY?
post #57 of 73
When a friend asks about a fondant cake, I say, "You don't want me to make you a cake. That one is $350.00." Then they can say, "Yes, I do", or "Wow, your'e right". Now the price is established in a nice way.
post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ten bucks. For a wood stand, that is hand crafted, and strong enough to hold a fish tank full of water. Really? REALLY?



Sheesh, no doubt! I'd be willing to pay at least... like... eighteen bucks for that. icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif Could you make me one of those hand crocheted name doilies you make... I'll give you six bucks and tell EVERYONE (who asks) who made it! icon_lol.gif
Melvira: Mistress of the dark... chocolate!

Well that's just great. Peanut butter in my crack.
Reply
Melvira: Mistress of the dark... chocolate!

Well that's just great. Peanut butter in my crack.
Reply
post #59 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ten bucks. For a wood stand, that is hand crafted, and strong enough to hold a fish tank full of water. Really? REALLY?



Sheesh, no doubt! I'd be willing to pay at least... like... eighteen bucks for that. icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif Could you make me one of those hand crocheted name doilies you make... I'll give you six bucks and tell EVERYONE (who asks) who made it! icon_lol.gif



icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif
Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.
Reply
Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.
Reply
post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

and I'll again share a story ....

hubby did woodworking. friend wanted a stand made to hold a big fish tank (50 gallon? it was super huge). hubby sketched out a rough idea and quoted sometihng like $200 ----- $250 (super discounted for a 'friend'). Friend went thru the roof and said, "I was only planning on paying around ten bucks!!"

Ten bucks. For a wood stand, that is hand crafted, and strong enough to hold a fish tank full of water. Really? REALLY?



A mere acquaintance asked me just last week to donate an oil painting (which he would describe exactly what he wanted) for a cause I know nothing or care nothing about. I suggested since he was very much involved in that cause he might wish to purchase a small painting from ones already in my studio and donate it himself. He was aghast that I would expect him to pay for it!

People! icon_eek.gif
Throughout my life I've often had to remind myself that the strongest steel is formed in the hottest fire. At my age, I am a force with which to be reckoned!
Reply
Throughout my life I've often had to remind myself that the strongest steel is formed in the hottest fire. At my age, I am a force with which to be reckoned!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Customers expecting Walmart prices