Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › 7 UP Cake
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7 UP Cake

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
In my local newspaper they were talking about the A champagne wedding cake and said the non-alcoholic version would be a 7 up cake. Do anyone have the receipe for a 7 up cake. Could I just substitute the liquid in the "Pink Champagne Cake" with 7 up?

Thanks
post #2 of 18
I've made the 7up cake before -
You subsitute all the ingredients your cake mix calls for with one can on 7up.
Sugar free - use Diet 7up.
Chocoalte cake - use a can of coke!
Or Vanilla cake- use Creme soda
Lemon cake - Use 7up or sprite .. either or
post #3 of 18
I don't know if this is what they're referring to, but there is an actual scratch 7up cake that originated back when 7up came out as a new soda. It has a very particular texture and taste. You beat it for a full twenty minutes. It's one of my favorite cakes.

I'm at work so I don't have access to the recipe now but can post it later if you're interested.
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
post #4 of 18
It's actually a specific recipe from the 60s.

http://noblepig.com/2009/01/04/heads-up-7-up.aspx

But I think the one in the newspaper was just a regular cake that you can replace 7-up for the champagne. Not an authentic 7-up cake.
post #5 of 18
artscallion, I would be interested in the recipe. I have that box mix for mountain dew cake that I helped my daughter (who can't boil water) make, but I only make scratch.
post #6 of 18
Sure thing.

7-Up Cake


3 Stick Butter, room temp
3 C Sugar
5 Whole Eggs, room temp
15 Oz Flour
2 Tbsps Lemon Extract
3/4 C 7-up®

Preheat oven to 325°

Cream butter and sugar together for 20 minutes (yep, that's right, 20 minutes)
Add eggs one at a time.
Add flour and extract.
Fold in 7-up.

Pour into well greased 12-cup bundt pan.
Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Cool in pan on rack until it pulls away from sides.
Invert onto plate.

Note: This cake is the perfect cake to use as a lemon-soak cake.
Just make a lemon juice enhanced simple syrup. Poke skewer holes into the bottom of the cake while it is still warm and in the bundt pan.
Pour some syrup over. After inverting the cake, brush more syrup over surface of warm cake.
Drizzle with lemon flavored glaze.


[/u]
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
post #7 of 18
Thanks, artscallion.
post #8 of 18
7 up cake is soo good. you can also sub different sodas for the 7 up to get different flavors. orange crush is great with an orange glaze on it. or cherry pepsi...lots of posibilities with all the different types of sodas out there... icon_lol.gif
stressed is just desserts spelled backwards!
Reply
stressed is just desserts spelled backwards!
Reply
post #9 of 18
chefjess819, are you referring to the box or the scratch recipe?
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by believer

In my local newspaper they were talking about the A champagne wedding cake and said the non-alcoholic version would be a 7 up cake. Do anyone have the receipe for a 7 up cake. Could I just substitute the liquid in the "Pink Champagne Cake" with 7 up?

Thanks



I have subbed the champagne with sparkling grape juice and added a little pink food coloring in it. The sparkling grape juice is non alcoholic also and I think a couple of brands are Welch's or Martinelli's
Failure is not an option!!
Reply
Failure is not an option!!
Reply
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

chefjess819, are you referring to the box or the scratch recipe?


scratch. i have a recipe that my "grandma" gave to my mom, and then to me.
stressed is just desserts spelled backwards!
Reply
stressed is just desserts spelled backwards!
Reply
post #12 of 18
Thanks chefjess. Is it similar to artscallion's or would you mind sharing?
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Sure thing.

7-Up Cake


3 Stick Butter, room temp
3 C Sugar
5 Whole Eggs, room temp
15 Oz Flour
2 Tbsps Lemon Extract
3/4 C 7-up®

Preheat oven to 325°

Cream butter and sugar together for 20 minutes (yep, that's right, 20 minutes)
Add eggs one at a time.
Add flour and extract.
Fold in 7-up.

Pour into well greased 12-cup bundt pan.
Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Cool in pan on rack until it pulls away from sides.
Invert onto plate.

Note: This cake is the perfect cake to use as a lemon-soak cake.
Just make a lemon juice enhanced simple syrup. Poke skewer holes into the bottom of the cake while it is still warm and in the bundt pan.
Pour some syrup over. After inverting the cake, brush more syrup over surface of warm cake.
Drizzle with lemon flavored glaze.


[/u]



Wow! 20 minutes! I am so curious, what does it look like after 20 minutes and why that long?

I am going to try this just to see what it looks like. And what does it taste like?
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
post #14 of 18
Linda, I have no idea what the science behind it is. It doesn't look much different at ten minutes than it does at twenty. But I've tried stopping at ten and the final product just didn't have that same texture and quality.

You should try it first without the lemon soak and glaze just to see the pure finished texture and taste.
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
post #15 of 18
this is my recipe

preheat the oven to 350.
cream together 3 cups granulated sugar, 2 sticks margarine, and 1/2 cup veg oil
beat in 5 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp almond extract (or what extract works with the type of soda you use), 3 cups all purpose flour, and 6 oz 7 up (or what ever soda you want to use)

bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes.
i've never had this recipe mess up on me no matter how hard i beat it, how little i beat it (used to not have an electric mixer), or how much my kids go tearing through the house. lol
stressed is just desserts spelled backwards!
Reply
stressed is just desserts spelled backwards!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › 7 UP Cake