Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › disco dust all over cake... to add sparkle....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

disco dust all over cake... to add sparkle....

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
I have a request for glitter all over the cake, so it will sparkle... do I use disco dust or sugar... Will the sugar melt into the icing??? anyone have experience doing this ?? any help would be great, thanks
post #2 of 50
If they want glitter I would use the disco dust - the sugar won't sparkle near as much icon_smile.gif
post #3 of 50
I would use the disco dust ( I use it all the time ) but use it sparsley.... it goes a long way. I usually put some on the top of the jar and sprinkle it from there....
post #4 of 50
I thought disco dust was NOT for consumption
post #5 of 50
Dip a dry paintbrush into the glitter and shake it over the surface to apply lightly, a tiny bit goes a long way. Disco glitter is indigestible (ie. not absorbed by the body) which is why it's not classified as 'food'. It is not toxic.
post #6 of 50
From what I understand, disco dust is plastic...the same exact product as regular craft glitter, just packaged for caking. As coral3 said, it's non-toxic and I don't think it will kill anyone. But be aware of that and make your own decision according to how you feel about that. Personally, I only use it on decorations that will not be eaten. I wouldn't sprinkle it over a cake myself, but I wouldn't judge you for doing it. icon_wink.gif
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
Housework makes you ugly.

It's marshmallow, not marshmellow! Aaargh, I have the strangest pet peeves!
Reply
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

From what I understand, disco dust is plastic...the same exact product as regular craft glitter, just packaged for caking. As coral3 said, it's non-toxic and I don't think it will kill anyone. But be aware of that and make your own decision according to how you feel about that. Personally, I only use it on decorations that will not be eaten. I wouldn't sprinkle it over a cake myself, but I wouldn't judge you for doing it. icon_wink.gif



I agree wholeheartedly. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Rae
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
post #8 of 50
Petal dust and luster dust is the same way. Listed non toxic but we all use it. I use Disco dust all the time and nobody has ever gotten sick. Cake Boss also uses alot of Disco dust on some of his cakes.
post #9 of 50
Are you putting this on icing or fondant?

Like others have said, it is plastic so it won't melt into the icing. But how to apply it on icing is another thing. On fondant you can brush it on after the fondant has had a chance to dry. I did that on my black swirled cake in my photo section. We did not eat the fondant on that cake, so eating the plastic was not an issue. I am leery of using it after finding out it is plastic, and I don't care who uses it on TV. That does not make it right.

On icing you are going to probably use a fine net mesh little sifter like I have seen to apply PS over items. But I would experiment over wax paper first to see how fine it spreads.

At the bakery I used to work for we used sparkling sugar for this purpose. It did sparkle. In fact I felt the owner over used it to the point of gaudy. But if the customer is requesting that look then that is a different matter.
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
post #10 of 50
Oh yes, because Cake Boss or Duff or who ever else famous does it it must be okay?

When shopping for disco dusts it does say that are not meant to be put on edible parts of the cake, because they are non toxic. And while non toxic shouldn't hurt you it isn't meant to actually be eaten, other wise it would be labeled as edible.
My Weight Loss Support Group is The Chunky Monkeys!
Reply
My Weight Loss Support Group is The Chunky Monkeys!
Reply
post #11 of 50
I think for those who have said that Duff or Cake Boss use it, they just mean that they are televised using products making all who watch them believe that those products are safe and okay to use. If there weren't wouldn't the Health Department be all over them for using products that are not edible directly on to the edible parts of the cakes. I could be wrong, just speculating here...

I personally do not use disco dusts on edible portions of a cake - although I would love to! uggg!!!

Does anyone know if there are any that are similar to disco dusts that is edible??
post #12 of 50
cake sparkles, its just gum arabic
post #13 of 50
Thanks motherofgrace. Looks like I already have a bunch of that stuff, but its called glitter flakes. Not quite the same as the disco dusts icon_sad.gif.
post #14 of 50
But I read somewhere on here (just yesterday) that you can put the glitter flakes through a strainer to break them up more and it is more like the glitter stuff. I've never tried it, that's just what I read.
post #15 of 50
Ditto
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › disco dust all over cake... to add sparkle....