Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › How much do people think a cake costs to make???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much do people think a cake costs to make??? - Page 9

post #121 of 407
i'll have to come back and finish the rest of the replies, i just wanted to chime in before i lost my aggravation to reason and common sense....

personally, i'm sooo sick and tired of hearing about the economy and how bad it is. yes, i struggle every day to pay my bills and i have a day job on top of my wife and i owning businesses. that's why we're slowing going to convert part of our store into a bakery, because the economy sucks for us little convenience stores right now. that said, that's why we're not driving a corvette, either.

the 'bad economy' excuse is getting old. i have people all the time expecting trophies and engraving (my other business) to be practically charitable donations. 'well, i've seen them online for such-and-such a price.' fine, then get them online. i know exactly where you're going to order from and what kind of price you'll wind up paying and the shoddy quality you'll get, so knock yourself out. different business, same idea.

i know unemployment is around 9% right now. if you're unemployed, what the helll are you doing buying cakes? but, if you're part of the 91% that *are* employed, what brain cell in your head (since there are so few, do you have names for them?) is driving this sense of entitlement, that bad economics times dictates a complete slash and burn of prices in every single industry to the extent that you price yourself out of business? is it so hard to grasp that the companies giving you the best deals are billion dollar corporations? that half of these places are service industries that get your money on the back end? or that stores sucker you in with 'leaders,' products they almost take a loss on to get you into their store where much time and expense has been given to play on your psychological buying instincts? there are a few out there that will undercut a brick-and-mortar shop, and you take your chances on quality.

why do they discount cars? because they make relatively little money on the actual product, they're making money on the financing. why do they give you a free cell phone? because you're paying for a years long service contract, and the phone itself is cheap to *mass* produce. why does krogers have ten for ten sales? it's not because they plan on losing money, trust me, they expect you to buy lots of other stuff while you're there. how is wally world so cheap? because they're not significantly cheaper, it's half an illusion, and you get what you pay for. (i hate wal*mart. you know they actually sell caskets online? they have a caveat, that being to check with your local ordinances to make sure their coffins meet requirements. but, they're cheap.)

anyway, i guess my point is dealing with people what walk through my door can be... challenging. and, yes, some absolutely do think they're doing you a favour by offering you a deal where you'd lose money as if you should jump on it just to have some business.
post #122 of 407
Thread Starter 
MyDiwa~~ I can't wait to see what my goddaughter's cake looks like at her party since I guess they are now going with a grocery store or Walmart cake. Her parents spent so much money on this big 3 year old festival to impress their daughter's daycare parents, that I assume the cake will be a let down comparatively. Especially since I did a 3D cake for them last year.

Sincollins~~ Be careful with giving deals to friends and family if you plan on charging them regular prices later. That is how I got myself into this predicament. I did the exact same thing. I would give them a deal but tell them that if anyone asks, the cake really costs X amount. Well, that worked with strangers, however, my friends and family were not too thrilled when the following year, they were no longer getting the special pricing themselves. Your friends and family are going to be happy as long as they are not having to pay you what you are worth. They really don't care how much it costs you or whether you go into debt for them, as long as it's not hurting their wallet. I have had 3 or 4 friends who gladly paid for the supplies without complaining. The rest were shocked that I would ever expect them to pay anything over $50 for a cake.

lynn1968~~ Funny anecdote. I used to be a personal trainer. It's amazing to me that when the economy collapsed, no one had money to work out anymore, however, everyone seems to have money for cake.
post #123 of 407
I too have run across this situation a few times. From this site I have learned to set a base price. I have gotten quite a few orders for smaller scale cakes (2 layers only). In this particular instance I had a man who wanted to order an anniversary cake for his wife. We communicated back and forth for a few days, and everything was a go. Once I told him my base price, the customer "wasn't feeling well all of a sudden" and vowed to get back to me. Of course I never heard from him again. Then I had the lady who wanted a character cake for her twins who were turning 2. She had a laundry list of allergies that I had to take into consideration. She also wanted the cake to feed 30 people, and spend under $50 for it!! She told me she saw a cake in the supermarket for $19.99. I explained to her the difference between cakes from decorators and supermarket cakes (no disrespect to them). I told her that without going any further I already know her cake will be over $100.00. (What is she ... nuts!!!) She told me she will go to the supermarket or look into making it herself.

I have learned from my fiance and my father to NEVER sell myself short. They both told me "the customer who pays my price is the customer for me. The customer that does not pay my price is NOT the customer for me." That is now my mantra and I do not stray from it.

As decorators we know all that we put into our creations. We know that we can bust a cake out in a few minutes, but it's the decorations and all the other added extras that we put into it ... "ya know, the stuff that makes us decorators and the customers say "wow."

If you get nothing else from this messae, understand this ... "Never sell yourself short. You are worth the price that you charge. The client that is for you will meet your price."
Grandma, I continued with my cakes. All that you taught me I am taking with me as I move forward. I miss you. Everytime I mix my batter please lay your hands on the mixer. Everytime I show my cakes it's "OUR" work on display. I hope I make you proud!
Reply
Grandma, I continued with my cakes. All that you taught me I am taking with me as I move forward. I miss you. Everytime I mix my batter please lay your hands on the mixer. Everytime I show my cakes it's "OUR" work on display. I hope I make you proud!
Reply
post #124 of 407
TPACakeGirl ~ great advice, you have to be careful when dealing with family and friends! They are so often the ones who will take advantage of you (sometimes without realizing it). Which is why I explained upfront the situation and exactly how many cakes I was willing to do for them at cost price. Once they use them up, they start paying full price. I've been lucky with my family and have had no problems... so far. And I still give them the option of supplying the ingredients and just paying me for my time icon_smile.gif
post #125 of 407
Ok- so I guess TAG, I'm it for today...I have had 4 inquires about cakes today and get into the details and sent off the quote and then nothing, crickets... chirp chirp chirp...never to be heard from again icon_smile.gif Then the latest was the usual, "I found this picture and I want this exact cake and I love it and I need it to serve 40 people" - send of the $150 quote and get back - "oh, we only wanted to spend $50 what can you do for that?" Classic I find myself giggling when I send off the quote b/c I just have a feeling from each one of them on what their reaction is/was ( I wish my quote could be sent with a little camera to get their facial reactionicon_smile.gif after there is no response or they come back with what can you do for 50 bucks!! LOL I did suggest that she try Costco or a grocery store b/c they would be the only place they could get a cake to serve 40 people for $50!!! There is a reason they are not called CUSTOM Costco icon_smile.gif

Ok- hopefully no more of that for today!
"He who passes on dessert drives home with a stomach full of regret."
Reply
"He who passes on dessert drives home with a stomach full of regret."
Reply
post #126 of 407
Thread Starter 
For $50 you get a quarter sheet cake with buttercream frosting, buttercream roses and a buttercream shell border-- just like at the grocery store.
post #127 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

For $50 you get a quarter sheet cake with buttercream frosting, buttercream roses and a buttercream shell border-- just like at the grocery store.



And as my students would say "them are some BAAAAAD shells!!" Cake snobs, all of them!!! icon_lol.gif
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
To find "THE RECIPE LINKS ARE HERE" thread, click on "Forums", then "Recipes" and it's the first sticky. Latest updates are on (the bottom of) page 10 here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-625803-135.html
Reply
post #128 of 407
Thread Starter 
So, I guess I'm no longer invited to my goddaughter's bday party? Once I advised that I can't make the cake for free, I must have been crossed off the list. The party is in 8 days, and I have yet to receive my invitation. WOW!!!
post #129 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

I quoted one at $125 and the other was $175. Both people told me my prices were ridiculous, and that they find it hard to believe a cake can cost that much to make.

Do you have this issue too? How much do people think it costs to make a cake?



Let's see...a box of cake mix is about $1 and a can of icing about $1.50. Your time and talent is your charitable donation to the betterment of the world as a whole.....so yeah, you are way too high! LOL

TELL THEM TO HEAD TO THE NEAREST WAL-MART AND BE SURE TO ASK FOR GUM PASTE SCULPTURES ON THEIR CAKE!!! I'm sure wal-mart can give them just what they need!
post #130 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlk

I would like to see the cake that was 'cheaper' than $125 for a 3 tier cake ! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

With any thing - you get what you pay for....

If you settle for less $$ then you are telling yourself that you are not deserving of your talent and time!



Hmmm, let's give it a couple of months, then let's check cakewrecks. lol

I made a chocolate sour cream cake and calculated just the ingredients to be over $17- not including, vanilla, oil, salt, coffee. Crazy!
Rosie

Hooked on Cakin' works for me!!
Reply
Rosie

Hooked on Cakin' works for me!!
Reply
post #131 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

So, I guess I'm no longer invited to my goddaughter's bday party? Once I advised that I can't make the cake for free, I must have been crossed off the list. The party is in 8 days, and I have yet to receive my invitation. WOW!!!




Can't say I'd complain!
Don't have to waste my time, money ...
No gift to buy because we all know a cake isn't a gift!
May your layers be many and your frosting be thick! - Stampin Up
Reply
May your layers be many and your frosting be thick! - Stampin Up
Reply
post #132 of 407
Thread Starter 
My hubby was excited too. He thought it was great that we didn't have to spend the day with a bunch of 3 year olds. I just find it amusing that I was invited when my friend thought I was making the cake for free. Now I'm not. I guess the cake costs more than $125 to make. It also cost me a friendship.
post #133 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1968

i'll have to come back and finish the rest of the replies, i just wanted to chime in before i lost my aggravation to reason and common sense....

personally, i'm sooo sick and tired of hearing about the economy and how bad it is. yes, i struggle every day to pay my bills and i have a day job on top of my wife and i owning businesses. that's why we're slowing going to convert part of our store into a bakery, because the economy sucks for us little convenience stores right now. that said, that's why we're not driving a corvette, either.

the 'bad economy' excuse is getting old. i have people all the time expecting trophies and engraving (my other business) to be practically charitable donations. 'well, i've seen them online for such-and-such a price.' fine, then get them online. i know exactly where you're going to order from and what kind of price you'll wind up paying and the shoddy quality you'll get, so knock yourself out. different business, same idea.

i know unemployment is around 9% right now. if you're unemployed, what the helll are you doing buying cakes? but, if you're part of the 91% that *are* employed, what brain cell in your head (since there are so few, do you have names for them?) is driving this sense of entitlement, that bad economics times dictates a complete slash and burn of prices in every single industry to the extent that you price yourself out of business? is it so hard to grasp that the companies giving you the best deals are billion dollar corporations? that half of these places are service industries that get your money on the back end? or that stores sucker you in with 'leaders,' products they almost take a loss on to get you into their store where much time and expense has been given to play on your psychological buying instincts? there are a few out there that will undercut a brick-and-mortar shop, and you take your chances on quality.

why do they discount cars? because they make relatively little money on the actual product, they're making money on the financing. why do they give you a free cell phone? because you're paying for a years long service contract, and the phone itself is cheap to *mass* produce. why does krogers have ten for ten sales? it's not because they plan on losing money, trust me, they expect you to buy lots of other stuff while you're there. how is wally world so cheap? because they're not significantly cheaper, it's half an illusion, and you get what you pay for. (i hate wal*mart. you know they actually sell caskets online? they have a caveat, that being to check with your local ordinances to make sure their coffins meet requirements. but, they're cheap.)

anyway, i guess my point is dealing with people what walk through my door can be... challenging. and, yes, some absolutely do think they're doing you a favour by offering you a deal where you'd lose money as if you should jump on it just to have some business.



Awesome rant. I love it. icon_biggrin.gif
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
post #134 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

My hubby was excited too. He thought it was great that we didn't have to spend the day with a bunch of 3 year olds. I just find it amusing that I was invited when my friend thought I was making the cake for free. Now I'm not. I guess the cake costs more than $125 to make. It also cost me a friendship.



Yeesh, that's really sad. icon_sad.gif What is wrong with people these days??
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
post #135 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

I quoted one at $125 and the other was $175. Both people told me my prices were ridiculous, and that they find it hard to believe a cake can cost that much to make.

Do you have this issue too? How much do people think it costs to make a cake?



Let's see...a box of cake mix is about $1 and a can of icing about $1.50. Your time and talent is your charitable donation to the betterment of the world as a whole.....so yeah, you are way too high! LOL

TELL THEM TO HEAD TO THE NEAREST WAL-MART AND BE SURE TO ASK FOR GUM PASTE SCULPTURES ON THEIR CAKE!!! I'm sure wal-mart can give them just what they need!



This is perfect Jeff! I still under charge on most cakes because I want the order but MAN I should really want me weekends back more!! Your tell em to go to Walmart line might just need to be my new motto! Im framing that gem!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › How much do people think a cake costs to make???