Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Disco dust edible? Safe to use for kids?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disco dust edible? Safe to use for kids?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I am reading conflicting things on disco dust (on the net and forums), which I am thinking about using, but never have before. Want to make some glittery initials for kid's cookies, but if they are not edible, then not going there. I know they are non-toxic, does that mean edible too? I read somewhere that just because something is non-toxic doesn't necessarily make it edible.

Can anyone tell me if they know if disco dust is considered edible?

Thank you!
Diane

diane
Diane
Reply
Diane
Reply
post #2 of 19
I've noticed that before too. It says "non-toxic" so i suppose that means you can eat it without it hurting you. I've put it on gumpaste letters to make them sparkly and my kids ate them. I don't think they are what you would consider "edible" though. It does not disolve in you mouth....so what does that tell you? On the upside, the kids didn't care and just loved the sparkles. It's not like the quantity they had was a huge amount.
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
I read somewhere that the glitter was actually plastic, so that had me worrying. I always worry more when it's for kids.
Diane
Reply
Diane
Reply
post #4 of 19
*Please note that these dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such. (http://www.bakeitpretty.com/item_696/Disco-Dust.htm)

They are classified as "non-toxic for decoration only" so they may be best suited to decorate items that can easily be removed from the cake. (http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?ShopId=46&CatId=624&SubCatId=1581)

Use on non-edible decorations. Non-toxic. (This came from another website, but I can't post the link on here.)


Non-toxic means that they shouldn't hurt you, but aren't really meant for eating. Think Elmers glue.

I've read on CC before that they are finely ground plastic and are non-edible.

Personally the only thing I have used disco dust on, was something that wasn't going to be eaten. I know there will be people that will come along and say they do it all the time. So you'll have to make the choice of what is better for you and the people eating your cakes.
My Weight Loss Support Group is The Chunky Monkeys!
Reply
My Weight Loss Support Group is The Chunky Monkeys!
Reply
post #5 of 19
Oops...I just covered some cake i did in disco dust. What about the "Snow Sparkle?" I have covered cakes in that too. Very popular for girl birthdays! I can just imagine having glitter-poop! What else could happen? I mean, if it is plastic? Would it have a build-up effect? Jeez, why sell stuff for cake that isn't edible?
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Oops...I just covered some cake i did in disco dust. What about the "Snow Sparkle?" I have covered cakes in that too. Very popular for girl birthdays! I can just imagine having glitter-poop! What else could happen? I mean, if it is plastic? Would it have a build-up effect? Jeez, why sell stuff for cake that isn't edible?



If it's disco dust called Snow Sparkle, then it's not edible but is non-toxic. It's small grain plastic craft glitter.

It shouldn't be a problem with a single use, but no one that I know of advocates frequent ingestion of plastic.

Small, particulate matter (like raspberry seeds, etc.) can be a problem for people with digestive issues like diverticulitis, diverticulosis, Crohn's disease, IBS, etc., as the particles can further irritate the lining of the bowel.

You can read a disclaimer about the use of these products here (remove the dashes I've typed into the website addy):

********************

 

 

********************

You're right--there's a ton of bad info about disco dust. They were marketed to cake decorators without being "checked out" for edibility and it's led to a lot of confusion. I'm a strong advocate for getting the word out that THEY ARE PLASTIC!!!!.

Rae

I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
post #7 of 19
Well that is just awful - I just purchased two containers of the stuff. I will limit my use immediately.
post #8 of 19
My daughter recently at a large "2" out of fondant from her birthday cake when I wasn't looking and it was covered in disco dust. I've mostly just used the dusts on the parts that don't normally get eaten. I wasn't concerned though because if it's non-toxic, it's kinda like if she licks her finger after working with glue in an art project or eats some playdough.

The next day, she had sparkly poop. icon_biggrin.gif
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Oops...I just covered some cake i did in disco dust. What about the "Snow Sparkle?" I have covered cakes in that too. Very popular for girl birthdays! I can just imagine having glitter-poop! What else could happen? I mean, if it is plastic? Would it have a build-up effect? Jeez, why sell stuff for cake that isn't edible?


Whoops, I've covered a whole cake in it, too...but glitter poop made me laugh!
post #10 of 19
I tried to look up that link, with out the dashes, and I couldn't make it work. Could someone please PM me the link, or make it a little simpler for us dullards? lol

I just remembered that my daughter told me she ate the gumpaste decoration off the front of the cake. I had it CAKED with glitter. See photo. I am a little tense about it. Should I worry, should I not worry? I just spent $20 on disco dust, I could kill someone for maketing it as "edible". I am pissed! It never occured to me that it was not edible! A$$holes!
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #11 of 19

********************

 

and then add

********************

 

I can't do it any other way because the website is blocked from CC due to legal issues.

Suffice it to say that it says what I've been saying throughout the thread.

Rae

I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
I love you, but your emergency is not my crisis!

They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.--Terry Pratchett (b.194
Reply
post #12 of 19
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #13 of 19
post #14 of 19
I bought some disco dust at my local cake supply store. They told me to use it on gumpaste only, because people don't eat gumpaste and should not eat the disco dust either.
post #15 of 19
The figure on the front was gumpaste. She is weird. She is a carnivore, she will eat any meat you put in front of her, she HATES all vegetables except corn, and HATES ALL fruit. She will eat grains, but not biscuits, mostly rice, but will eat gumpaste. YUCK! I'd rather eat carrots all day long than gumpaste.
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Disco dust edible? Safe to use for kids?