Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › How to price cupcakes...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to price cupcakes...? - Page 3

post #31 of 54

Actually jennicake, I think $3.75 for a store bought cupcake is pretty reasonable! I was referring more towards the places that charge $7,$8 a cupcake. Of course there is so much time that goes into making them that I can definitely see why people want to charge more. Sometimes the work is just so time consuming!

post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyswtcks View Post

Actually jennicake, I think $3.75 for a store bought cupcake is pretty reasonable! I was referring more towards the places that charge $7,$8 a cupcake. Of course there is so much time that goes into making them that I can definitely see why people want to charge more. Sometimes the work is just so time consuming!

Oh wow lol. I live in a city that doesn't have $8 or $9 cupcakes so I've never been exposed to one. I see your point though! I would love to see what one of those cupcakes looks like though
post #33 of 54

yeah...a top priced CC in my area would be the $4 price range. And store bought cupcakes cost about $1 each if you buy them by the dozen

post #34 of 54

Yeah, we're prima donnas here in California! LOL

post #35 of 54
Okay... I joined this because I have the feat of a lifetime coming.

Recently I started making cupcakes because its something I love to do. I have done key lime pie, fruit filled, rumchata, ill try anything on demand! But I just got asked to do a 4 tiered cake and 120 cupcakes and have no idea what to charge.

They will be marble cupcakes with basic buttercream and then the cake will have alternating layers of chocolate and vanilla with basic buttercream. (They are a simple couple) the bride is providing the flowers for cake decoration and the stands for the cupcakes...the rest is up to me...including the pans..which I do not currently own. This will be my first huge cake... I'm a cupcake girl! (I'm a tad panicked, but excited)

Beyond all else I do not know what to charge because to me it seems so simple, but I know there is a lot there to be making. Typically for 24 cupcakes it runs about 30-40 depending on if it requires anything special like the rumchata cupcakes did. I know that is pretty low, but I'm currently located in havre mt, and these people do not value divine desserts like they do in the larger cities in Montana... So I'm at odds. I don't want to charge too much but don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions?
post #36 of 54
Okay... I joined this because I have the feat of a lifetime coming.

Recently I started making cupcakes because its something I love to do. I have done key lime pie, fruit filled, rumchata, ill try anything on demand! But I just got asked to do a 4 tiered cake and 120 cupcakes and have no idea what to charge.

They will be marble cupcakes with basic buttercream and then the cake will have alternating layers of chocolate and vanilla with basic buttercream. (They are a simple couple) the bride is providing the flowers for cake decoration and the stands for the cupcakes...the rest is up to me...including the pans..which I do not currently own. This will be my first huge cake... I'm a cupcake girl! (I'm a tad panicked, but excited)

Beyond all else I do not know what to charge because to me it seems so simple, but I know there is a lot there to be making. Typically for 24 cupcakes it runs about 30-40 depending on if it requires anything special like the rumchata cupcakes did. I know that is pretty low, but I'm currently located in havre mt, and these people do not value divine desserts like they do in the larger cities in Montana... So I'm at odds. I don't want to charge too much but don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions?
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish View Post

When thinking about the price you are going to charge for your cupcakes and feeling like $x might be too much because it is "just a simple cupcake" there is a point that you are missing. Someone contacted you to make these simple cupcakes because they lack either the time or the know-how to do it themselves. That is what they are paying you for. Your time is not less valuable than theirs is, and your skill didn't just fall into your hands by accident. Have confidence in what you are doing. If you undervalue your work so will everyone else.

Yes!! I feel like hi-fiving you for saying this! I don't sell cakes (yet - I'm building my skills and planning for my business so I know what I can offer, what I'll charge etc and hopefully my business will be solid!) - BUT I do know how many of my friends and family don't really bake, or if they do bake, they wouldn't have the slightest clue how to make beautiful BC, which tips are good for swirls, how to make fondant decos...etc, etc. 

 

People approach a cake business because you can do something they cannot. I think when you're a baker, a GOOD baker, you start to think of things like cupcakes as 'easy' and fall into the trap of thinking they're not worth much. But I'm reminded time and time again when I put a plate of pretty cupcakes in front of my friends and family how impressive they are to others. People WILL pay for the service you offer. I say MINIMUM of $3.00 for a basic BC swirl cuppie and prices go up from there. 

 

Value yourselves and your skill bakers!!

post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirabee View Post

I don't want to charge too much but don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions? Yes!

 

Welcome to the forums! This topic has been discussed extensively. Use the search box and type in "how to price cakes" or "jason_kraft pricing cakes" and learn for yourself how to do the math. The cakers on here get asked this question multiple times a day and are getting weary of it, so be a good CC member and start by looking through the numerous threads. 
 
Also make sure you are compliant with food safety laws in your area, some states require a license and/or an inspection before you can sell food to the public.
 

Good luck with your business! 

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply
post #39 of 54
Luckily I'm not starting a business and its more doing it for a friend because I have a crafty cook hand.
post #40 of 54

I usually charge $22-24 / dozen (This covers the cost of making the cupcakes and the packaging)...$26 if they're filled. (2 dozen min)
Another $5 bucks if they have to be delivered outside of 5-10 miles of where I'm based. Clients can forgo the delivery charge if they pick them up themselves....
They're packaged professionally in the clear Plastic cupcake containers (they're sturdier and look better to me)  that hold 12 or 24 individually.
I don't use the Cake boxes with inserts unless I don't have enough Plastic cupcake containers. 
 If clients wants intricate designs or fondant accent, then its the same cost as the filled, $26/dozen

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrzygrl34 View Post

I usually charge $22-24 / dozen (This covers the cost of making the cupcakes and the packaging)...$26 if they're filled. (2 dozen min)

Another $5 bucks if they have to be delivered outside of 5-10 miles of where I'm based. Clients can forgo the delivery charge if they pick them up themselves....

They're packaged professionally in the clear Plastic cupcake containers (they're sturdier and look better to me)  that hold 12 or 24 individually.

I don't use the Cake boxes with inserts unless I don't have enough Plastic cupcake containers. 

 If clients wants intricate designs or fondant accent, then its the same cost as the filled, $26/dozen

Just an FYI...an increase in price of 33 cents per cupcake for intricate designs or fondant accents corresponds to 80 extra seconds of labor (at a rate of $15/hour).
post #42 of 54

I charge 2.75 for mine and anything custom is $3.00 and up

Gimme Some Suga Bakery Bar 

Reply

Gimme Some Suga Bakery Bar 

Reply
post #43 of 54

How would yall price 400 cupcakes? i have been asked to do 100 Lemon w/ Yellow icing / 100 Strawberry w/ Reddish icing / 100 White w/Orange icing  and 100 Choc with brown icing. I was thinking of dec the top with cand corn / fall colored sprinkles / hersey kisses / pumpkin candy corn. It will be butter creme icing. i am not a pro and only do this on the side but i have no idea what to charge? i was thinking a $1.00 per cup cake. Any suggestions?

post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms cakes View Post
 

How would yall price 400 cupcakes? i have been asked to do 100 Lemon w/ Yellow icing / 100 Strawberry w/ Reddish icing / 100 White w/Orange icing  and 100 Choc with brown icing. I was thinking of dec the top with cand corn / fall colored sprinkles / hersey kisses / pumpkin candy corn. It will be butter creme icing. i am not a pro and only do this on the side but i have no idea what to charge? i was thinking a $1.00 per cup cake. Any suggestions?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix View Post
 

Welcome to the forums! This topic has been discussed extensively. Use the search box and type in "how to price cakes" or "jason_kraft pricing cakes" and learn for yourself how to do the math. The cakers on here get asked this question multiple times a day and are getting weary of it, so be a good CC member and start by looking through the numerous threads. 

 
Also make sure you are compliant with food safety laws in your area, some states require a license and/or an inspection before you can sell food to the public.
 

Good luck with your business! 

 

Greetings ms cakes, there's lots of info throughout this thread. Have you read any of it? 

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply
post #45 of 54
Hi, is it okay to ask for someone's budget? I feel it is kind of tacky, but I hate to waste my time and their's if we are simply too far apart. I had a lady contact me for 50 cupcakes for 30 people. I told her I sell by the dozen and if they were having other food I thought 3 dozen would be enough. She messaged me back saying she wants 4 dozen filled. 1 white with IMBC, 1 chocolate with whipped chocolate ganache, 1 strawberry and 1 red velvet both with cream cheese frosting. I bake from scratch as a cottage baker (which people in my area think that I should be cheaper because of this). I charge $1.50/basic cupcake with American buttercream or Hershy's chocolate frosting (on the back of the cocoa container). I charge .25/cupcake for filling and .25/cupcake for all other frostings. Should i charge extra for the Italian buttercream? Do you think this is too much? I live in a small town in Ms., but only sell to other AF people on the base. These prices reflect my cake prices/Wilton party size serving.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cupcakes!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › How to price cupcakes...?