Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › business expenses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

business expenses

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
Does anyone have a list of what expenses they would incur when opening up a small bakery, it just seems like so much, and I'm afraid I'm leaving things out in my spreadsheet, so far I have

Rent
Insurance
Gas/water Bill
Electric Bill
Phone Bill
Cost of supplies per month

I am just trying to make an expense list to see how much profit I will need to make a month.

Thanks for any help!
post #2 of 49
cleaning supplies - certainly an initial investment then new bottles of XYZ every so often
uniform/ health and safety clothing - gloves, whatever is required... again the initial cost but eventually need to replace/ restock
xx
post #3 of 49
So far what you have looks good. However, don't forget your payroll and your taxes. Are you going to do your own books? If not, you'll need to include an accountant. You also need to figure in a little extra for those unexpected expenses (something breaks, replacement parts, etc). Also, do you own all of your own equipment or will you be leasing? I own all my own so I don't have that monthly expense.

Since my bakery is out of state (I live right on the state line and the rent/utilites were much cheaper in the other state) I have to pay an attorney a Resident Agent fee each year. I have that figured into my yearly expenses.

Good luck!! I'm finally getting mine going! Been working on it for 3 years and it's finally becoming a reality. BUT i'm also paying for everything out of pocket so that I will have very low overhead...no loans, leases on equipment, etc.
post #4 of 49
We also have to get a business license in my county, food handlers permits.
post #5 of 49
If you will be taking out loans to start the business, don't forget the interest payments. If you're building out new space that was not previously licensed you may have significant one-time startup costs that will translate into increased interest payments.

You should also make sure to separate costs into fixed vs. variable to better gauge expected profitability over time.
post #6 of 49
Computer/printer (ink/paper) for order forms, contracts and such.

Furniture like desk, chairs...Plus your cake equipment.

Basic office supplies (outside of the cake stuff), such as pens/pencils, notepads, calendars, toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels, brooms, mops, cleaners.
My Weight Loss Support Group is The Chunky Monkeys!
Reply
My Weight Loss Support Group is The Chunky Monkeys!
Reply
post #7 of 49
Good question... the answers would be in your business plan.

Some one-time start-up costs to consider (office expenses):
Computers, printer/copier, cash register, coffee brewer and decanters, stir stick dispenser, cake stands (for samples and displays), microwave, safe, power tools and replacement batteries for cordless equipment, scissors, tape dispensers, staplers, soft drink vending machine(s), vacuum, time clock, signage (plus sign painter labor & installation), neon "open" signs, furniture (conference table, chairs, cubical walls, office desk, file cabinets, bookshelves, displays, etc.), telephones and equipment, cordless headsets, TV, digital picture frames, lockers, display cases, countertops, video security system, trash bins, wastebaskets, styrofoam dummies (for displays), surge protectors, clipboards, calculators, register corporation fees, business license application fee and 1st time gross license fee, initial accountant, consultant, and attorney fees.

(operating supplies/equipment):
Freezer, cooler, airbrushes (hoses, hangers, fittings, compressors), fans, glue gun, pencil sharpener, wire cutters, pliers, mop, bucket, enclosed cabinets, full size sheet pans, pan racks, spatulas, serrated knives, mixer, stainless steel work tables, industrial shelving, ergonomic stools, step stools, two or three-compartment sink with drainboards (plus faucet, spout, mounting kit, plumbing materials and installation), jig saw, turntables, decorating tubes/tips, pastry bags and couplers, mixing bowls, rubber mallet, claw hammer, foldaway platform truck, utility carts, personal handtruck, pallet jack, delivery vehicle, GPS system, angled tweezers, aprons, storage containers & lids, hack saw, shop trash containers with dolly and lid, power strips, start-up supply of separator plates and columns, silver cake plateaus (for rentals).

(product and materials inventory):
Copy paper, thermal paper rolls (for cash register), regular and decaf coffee, cups, lids, stir sticks, creamer, sugar, artificial sweetener, napkins, forks, plates, tissues, toilet tissue, paper towels, Handi Wipes towels, glue sticks, tape, staples, highlighters, pens, pencils, markers, dowel rods (plastic and wooden), soft drinks, bottled water, vacuum bags, pine cleaner, sanitizer, dish detergent, time cards and replacement ribbons (for time clock), airbrush color, paste color, business cards, brochures, parchment paper pan liners, assortment of cake toppers, toasting glasses, and cake knife & server boxed sets, gumpaste/gumpaste toppers and flowers, cardboard cake circles, cake drums, styrofoam dummies (for orders/rentals), lace, ribbons, dragees, foil leaves, poly-foil rolls, skewers, wax paper, plastic food wrap film, foodservice foil, bakery boxes, vinyl gloves, rack covers, quinns/decorettes/sprinkles, trash can liners, initial start-up supply of all ingredients.

Some reoccurring costs to consider:
Lease, credit card usage fee, telephone service, Yellow Pages ad, business cards and brochures, electricity usage, water usage, gas usage, car insurance, liability insurance, delivery driver, employee wages, payroll taxes, replacement inventory all operating supplies, product, and materials. (plus more endless possibilities not listed like trash removal, strip mall sign fees, snow removal, parking lot repair fees... the potential list can go on and on!)
post #8 of 49
HOLY COW icon_eek.gif ...god speed to you all icon_smile.gif
post #9 of 49
That's why I decided to rent an existing commercial kitchen instead of opening my own shop...when renting an existing kitchen 95% of the items CWR41 posted become someone else's problem.
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Good question... the answers would be in your business plan.

Some one-time start-up costs to consider (office expenses):
Computers, printer/copier, cash register, coffee brewer and decanters, stir stick dispenser, cake stands (for samples and displays), microwave, safe, power tools and replacement batteries for cordless equipment, scissors, tape dispensers, staplers, soft drink vending machine(s), vacuum, time clock, signage (plus sign painter labor & installation), neon "open" signs, furniture (conference table, chairs, cubical walls, office desk, file cabinets, bookshelves, displays, etc.), telephones and equipment, cordless headsets, TV, digital picture frames, lockers, display cases, countertops, video security system, trash bins, wastebaskets, styrofoam dummies (for displays), surge protectors, clipboards, calculators, register corporation fees, business license application fee and 1st time gross license fee, initial accountant, consultant, and attorney fees.

(operating supplies/equipment):
Freezer, cooler, airbrushes (hoses, hangers, fittings, compressors), fans, glue gun, pencil sharpener, wire cutters, pliers, mop, bucket, enclosed cabinets, full size sheet pans, pan racks, spatulas, serrated knives, mixer, stainless steel work tables, industrial shelving, ergonomic stools, step stools, two or three-compartment sink with drainboards (plus faucet, spout, mounting kit, plumbing materials and installation), jig saw, turntables, decorating tubes/tips, pastry bags and couplers, mixing bowls, rubber mallet, claw hammer, foldaway platform truck, utility carts, personal handtruck, pallet jack, delivery vehicle, GPS system, angled tweezers, aprons, storage containers & lids, hack saw, shop trash containers with dolly and lid, power strips, start-up supply of separator plates and columns, silver cake plateaus (for rentals).

(product and materials inventory):
Copy paper, thermal paper rolls (for cash register), regular and decaf coffee, cups, lids, stir sticks, creamer, sugar, artificial sweetener, napkins, forks, plates, tissues, toilet tissue, paper towels, Handi Wipes towels, glue sticks, tape, staples, highlighters, pens, pencils, markers, dowel rods (plastic and wooden), soft drinks, bottled water, vacuum bags, pine cleaner, sanitizer, dish detergent, time cards and replacement ribbons (for time clock), airbrush color, paste color, business cards, brochures, parchment paper pan liners, assortment of cake toppers, toasting glasses, and cake knife & server boxed sets, gumpaste/gumpaste toppers and flowers, cardboard cake circles, cake drums, styrofoam dummies (for orders/rentals), lace, ribbons, dragees, foil leaves, poly-foil rolls, skewers, wax paper, plastic food wrap film, foodservice foil, bakery boxes, vinyl gloves, rack covers, quinns/decorettes/sprinkles, trash can liners, initial start-up supply of all ingredients.

Some reoccurring costs to consider:
Lease, credit card usage fee, telephone service, Yellow Pages ad, business cards and brochures, electricity usage, water usage, gas usage, car insurance, liability insurance, delivery driver, employee wages, payroll taxes, replacement inventory all operating supplies, product, and materials. (plus more endless possibilities not listed like trash removal, strip mall sign fees, snow removal, parking lot repair fees... the potential list can go on and on!)



icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif



What's up with the thumbs down? I took the time to answer the OP's question... I am I suppose to apologize because you don't appreciate it?
post #11 of 49
also, notice there weren't any "cake ingredients" in that list either! LOL

Think of all the pans, flour, sugar, eggs, butter, cake boards, cake boxes (tons of sizes of each), dowel rods, cupcake liners, etc. that you'll need!
God's Word will either keep you from sin;
or sin will keep you from God's Word.
Reply
God's Word will either keep you from sin;
or sin will keep you from God's Word.
Reply
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

What's up with the thumbs down? I took the time to answer the OP's question... I am I suppose to apologize because you don't appreciate it?


I'm pretty sure she was reacting to the daunting number of items and not the quality of your post. icon_razz.gif
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

also, notice there weren't any "cake ingredients" in that list either! LOL!



"initial start-up supply of all ingredients. "

(last line of last two paragraphs on the list.)
post #14 of 49
Chamber of Commerce dues and Health Dept License both yearly for me.

Joanne
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

also, notice there weren't any "cake ingredients" in that list either!


The entry for the initial startup supply of all ingredients (as well as boxes, etc.) was under product and materials inventory.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › business expenses