I recently built a website for my girlfriend who has also just started a cake company and have done soooooo much reading on search engine optimisation, I thought I might share it with you. Everyone may have ideas on your fonts/colours etc but ultimately, that's generally a user like or dislike, not as relevant for moving up google although there are some design facets you need to consider.
Our site is www.customcakes.biz and we're based in the UK so I don't think we'll be stepping on each other toes. We made it up to pages 4 and 5 on google for our keywords in around 4 months. It might not be perfect but its also been a good learning curve for us to.
1. You have a lot of links coming into your site - this seems to be the biggest factor in a website doing well with search engines
2. You have registered with the search engines
3. You have lots of content in your site which is a very good thing
1. Consider what keywords you think people will search for if you think they want to find you in google. For example, we think people search for us by "wedding cakes glasgow" or "cake makers glasgow".
Build your front page on these words.
Your site needs to have the following tags in the html code:
- Title - someone touched on this earlier - have these google keyords contained in it
- Meta Description - A short description of your site (limit this to 160 chars)
- Meta Keywords - Keywords that you think are relevant to your site. Note that these do need to be relevant and included in your site wording otherwise it can be deemed as spam.
You should also considering changing the wording on your front page so that you have a keyword density of between 2 and 5%, ie if rhere are 100 words on the page, your keywords appear between 2 and 5 times. Any less its not relevant, anymore its seen as spam.
You should also run an HTML validator to ensure that the code on your site complies with HTML standards.
Another major way of getting your site recognised is to sign up to Google Webmasters and register an XML sitemap for your site. This ensures google indexes your pages and then you move up the rankings
For the whole font/colour design, you should include <H1> tags at least once on your main page as these show headings and ideally include a keyword within this tag.
Finally, create a twitter account and a facebook page for your company and use them as much as possible - people love looking at pretty cakes!
I could go on lots more about this and I realise its pretty in-depth so feel free to email me if you wanna chat more.