Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Buttercream Disaster
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buttercream Disaster

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Hi there! I am new to cake decorating and I am having soooo much trouble with buttercream icing consistency! I have been making the Wilton class icing recipe which calls for 1cup shortening 1tsp. vanilla 7tsp. h2o and 4cups of conf. sugar. My buttercream looks oily, and disgusting and when i add color gel to it, it's as though the shortening is rejecting the color and it looks like white blotches through out the frosting. I have been using generic shortening and Domino confectioner sugar. Please help!!! Thanks, melissa
post #2 of 31
I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I have had that problem before with red only.

I did notice that you did not mention the meringue powder in your recipe. Are you using it? Don't know if that will make a difference, but I know it is part of the Wilton class recipe, and it really helps me in warm, humid weather.

You might try another brand of shortening, although I get better results with generic brands which still have some trans fats.

Good luck, HTH
post #3 of 31
I had trouble when I used that recipe too. It's just gross and it leaves that greasy film in your mouth.

Try indydebi's recipe, it's AWESOME!

1 1/3 crisco
3 tbs Dream Whip(find this in the baking section by the pudding/jello
1/3 to 1/2 cup warm milk(depending on the consistancy you want)
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 to 3 TBS vanilla

This recipe works best for me when I add the ingredients in that order. It also helps to beat the crisco for a few minutes before you add the dream whip.

Good Luck!
Love is all you need. Well, love AND cookies.
Reply
Love is all you need. Well, love AND cookies.
Reply
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

I had trouble when I used that recipe too. It's just gross and it leaves that greasy film in your mouth.

Try indydebi's recipe, it's AWESOME!

1 1/3 crisco
3 tbs Dream Whip(find this in the baking section by the pudding/jello
1/3 to 1/2 cup warm milk(depending on the consistancy you want)
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 to 3 TBS vanilla

This recipe works best for me when I add the ingredients in that order. It also helps to beat the crisco for a few minutes before you add the dream whip.

Good Luck!





This receipoe is AWESOME!! It's the only one I use now!! You will love it!! icon_biggrin.gif
post #5 of 31
I "dressed" up Wilton's recipe by ...

- Use 1/2 C Shortening and 1/2 C Butter combination (I get the generic brand of butter, which tends to be whiter for some reason - but you can always add their "white white" to clean up the color some).

- Replace the water for either half and half or heavy cream. Helps some and still keeps it a nice consistency in your piping bag when you are practicing in class (doesn't get as soft as the all butter recipes - though you'll like those better once you master your techniques!).

- Use 2t instead of 1t flavoring. Try the Butter/Vanilla emulsion or Princess Cake emulsions from Lorann Oils. YUMMY! Available online for cheap, or I've found at Hobby Lobby and Michaels, too.

Lastly - even though it doesn't tell you to - be sure to sift that powdered sugar. If all else fails, squeeze the bag in your hands a lot before opening it and dumping it into your mixer to get as many clumps out as you can.

Enjoy your classes!!!!
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasmommelissa

Hi there! I am new to cake decorating and I am having soooo much trouble with buttercream icing consistency! I have been making the Wilton class icing recipe which calls for 1cup shortening 1tsp. vanilla 7tsp. h2o and 4cups of conf. sugar. My buttercream looks oily, and disgusting and when i add color gel to it, it's as though the shortening is rejecting the color and it looks like white blotches through out the frosting. I have been using generic shortening and Domino confectioner sugar. Please help!!! Thanks, melissa



I've never had a problem with this recipe and I can add any amount of color and get super dark colors, especially reds. It is not the best recipe, but it is an easy recipe to start with.

First, as mentioned you ae missing the meringue powder, which will stablize it.. but missing that should not make the recipe a disaster.

Second, you should always start with 2tbsp water (6 tsp) and add 1 tsp for medium and 2 tsp for thin consistency. Are you adding 7 to get medium? Or starting with 7?

Are you mixing it properly? Mixing all the liquid and shortening first, then mixing in sugar a cup at a time?

As for taste, when it is first mixed it doesn't taste as sweet, but i find as it settles, it tastes less crisco-y and more sugary. You can also swap out one tsp water, for 1tsp butter flavor to improve the taste.

I don't sift the sugar properly, bc my sifter sucks for powdered sugar. I put a 1lb box of sugar in a tall quart ziploc container (twist n loc brand) with the meringue powder and just give a real good shake for min or so.

The attached picture uses that recipe. (my final cake from decorating basics.)
LL
post #7 of 31
I have this same problem. I use Wilton's all-white BC recipe. So, no butter. I use water so don't have to worry about refrigeration. Mine does the exact same thing. I think that mine is getting too warm. I've placed my mixing bowl in the freezer. Seems to help but still does it on icings that I have to add a lot of color too. I have to work fast. Any more recommendations would be helpful.
post #8 of 31
tcwheeler,

you don't have to refrigerate even if you use milk. Sugar is a preservative, so it will be just fine. I have used milk and even cream in place of the water, and I love it! It gives a creamier texture.
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom



You might try another brand of shortening, although I get better results with generic brands which still have some trans fats.




Just a quick note, ALL Crisco has trans fats, even if it's sneakily labeled "no trans fats". If it's made with hydrogenated oil, which if you look at the Crisco label, it says "fully hydrogenated oil", then what you have there is a big ol' tub o' trans fats.
I'm not sure how they get away with that labelling.
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
post #10 of 31
I like Indydebi's much better than the wilton for both taste and texture. But I add the dream whip to slightly warmed liquid and let it "dissolve" then add it after I have beat the crisco for about 15 minutes. it is velvety.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes; that way when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have a new pair of shoes."
Reply
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes; that way when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have a new pair of shoes."
Reply
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG


Just a quick note, ALL Crisco has trans fats, even if it's sneakily labeled "no trans fats". If it's made with hydrogenated oil, which if you look at the Crisco label, it says "fully hydrogenated oil", then what you have there is a big ol' tub o' trans fats.
I'm not sure how they get away with that labelling.



If it is less than .5g trans fat per serving, then they can label it as zero, per FDA regulations.
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

tcwheeler,

you don't have to refrigerate even if you use milk. Sugar is a preservative, so it will be just fine. I have used milk and even cream in place of the water, and I love it! It gives a creamier texture.



Never thought of it that way. What about the butter? Same thing? Sugar preserves it too?
post #13 of 31
Butter is shelf stable anyway -- how many of us have grandmothers who always kept the butter out on the counter?
It does "keep" longer if it's salted, and I make sure it gets consumed within a couple days. But technically, butter can sit out.
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichazann



If it is less than .5g trans fat per serving, then they can label it as zero, per FDA regulations.



What did they do then, change the serving size? Because hydrogenated oil is nothing BUT trans fats. So 100%. Strange... icon_confused.gif
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
post #15 of 31
I only/always use crisco. This is not making your butter cream oily. Nor not adding merengue powder..that is not a required ingredient for successful buttercream.

Just a thought....I had an oily batch of butter cream one time. I had bought the generic shortening at Wal-Mart. BUT.......I did not buy the "vegetable shortening". Back when Great Value had a blue label (now white), I didn't realize that had TWO shortenings. One was vegetable shortening and the other was some yuck shortening. I think I used lard! That batch of buttercream was greasy.

Anyway.....are you sure you used VEGETABLE shortening? Just a thought.
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
Debbie - US Army (Retired) --aka "The Cake Sarge"

Good Cake Ain't Cheap! Cheap Cake Ain't Good!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Buttercream Disaster