Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › My new Cakesafe box! OMG!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My new Cakesafe box! OMG!!! - Page 3

post #31 of 52
I am with you carmijok on the cab thing...YUCK, and from what I have seen (and ridden!) in those cabs..... icon_eek.gif

They definately should look into the cake safe!
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
post #32 of 52
This is the kind of equipment that seperates the boys from the men... so to speak. It looks like an awesome investment.---Just like your 5 qt mixer... or in my case a 20qt-- I've got a sheeter, a large professional oven. It's an insurance policy for cakes! I think it's awesome that someone made a container that can totally cover the cake. I've hated hauling uncovered large cakes--worrying about everything from having to stop short to a random bird that might poop on my cake!!

Great idea!
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me". Erma Bombeck
~~~
If God is for us, who can be against us?
Reply
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me". Erma Bombeck
~~~
If God is for us, who can be against us?
Reply
post #33 of 52
If I did cakes professionally, there is no question but that I would purchase a cake safe. It seems like a fabulous product!
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

If I did cakes professionally, there is no question but that I would purchase a cake safe. It seems like a fabulous product!




DITTO !!! seems like a great investment !!!
post #35 of 52
They look amazing - I'd love one in each size! If only they were available in Australia icon_sad.gif
post #36 of 52
Bird Poop!...ick! Never thought of that one.
post #37 of 52
I have been checking these out as well as cake stackers. I'm torn...I love that this is an totally enclosed box to keep out dust, dirt, weather etc but it is so much more expensive than the cake stackers which also seem like a very safe way to deliver. With the cake safes...do you need to order custom boards to go under each tier?
post #38 of 52
No, no custom boards. I use foamcore! I think KHalstead drilled holes in the centers of her plastic plates so that it would work with them. That is one thing that is great about the cake safe - you don't have to buy anything "special" to use it. I LOVE it. icon_smile.gif
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
post #39 of 52
I just recently started baking cakes. I've had a couple of orders and have made some deliveries and it has always been a nightmare I was looking online for boxes and good transportation methods and came across this site. I have a sweet 16 coming up in oct for a family friend that is in ct and I'm in va so it would be a six to seven hr trip up north. I myself think both are a little pricey but my friend was quoted a price of $800 for the cake so I'm thinking it would be a good excuse to charge her for this box only and then I would have it lol. The problem I see with getting these stackers is that I would have to hope that I get all the pieces back were as with the safe I will be able to set it up and take it back. I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments and reviews and I'm thankful to find such a great site with honest opinions
Thanks again
post #40 of 52

Yeef. Those suckers are expensive. But then again, so is any other permanent shipping case designed to transport delicate items -- compared with, say, a brand new Anvil case, they're downright cheap. (I've never bought a new Anvil case, but I have reconfigured a used one for shipping a small IBM AS/400 midrange computer.)

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply
post #41 of 52

I'm a professional and it just seems like more work to me. And I sure as heck don't want to be assembling cake at the venue unless absolutely necessary. A properly stacked cake will travel just fine. When I first started, I was always panicked about delivering cakes. After a couple of years of delivering cakes most every weekend, I finally realized there were never any problems.
 

post #42 of 52
I have a cake safe and it is the best investment I have made. I would love to have several eventually. It is definitely NOT more work to put it in the box. It completely removes the stress from delivering. I have traveled over 2 hours at highway speeds with no problems. When I get to the venue it only takes me about 15 minutes to unload and I am done. You absolutely will not regret buying one. I bought the medium/short and wish I had bought the medium/tall. If I have a 4 tier cake that ends up being taller than 16" I have to stack the top tier on site. I plan on buying the taller sides/rods that work with the same base that I have to resolve that problem.
post #43 of 52

I had one rather memorable occasion when I was transporting a pie. Not a multi-tier cake, but a boxed Marie Callender's pie. A grand total of a mile and a half. And I had to make a sudden stop, because of, as I recall, some yahoo who either had no concept of traffic laws, or (more likely) couldn't keep his or her furry friend from running out into traffic. Needless to say, the pie did not fare well (more like "farewell to the pie.").

 

Sudden, unexpected G-loads in directions other than "down" happen. Whether you're traveling a hundred miles or a mile and a half. If having to de-spindle the cake at its destination, and patch the frosting, is the price you have to pay for a system that would likely enable the cake to survive a multi-vehicle pile-up with little or no damage, then I'd say it's a small price to pay.

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkern777 View Post

I have a cake safe and it is the best investment I have made. I would love to have several eventually. It is definitely NOT more work to put it in the box. It completely removes the stress from delivering. I have traveled over 2 hours at highway speeds with no problems. When I get to the venue it only takes me about 15 minutes to unload and I am done. You absolutely will not regret buying one. I bought the medium/short and wish I had bought the medium/tall. If I have a 4 tier cake that ends up being taller than 16" I have to stack the top tier on site. I plan on buying the taller sides/rods that work with the same base that I have to resolve that problem.

How can it possibly not be more work? Whatever goes on top of the cake has to be packed separately and I often make fragile pieces that travel great on top of a cake but less so in a box.  Living in a large metropolitan area, I routinely deliver steep (5-7-9) 3 tier stacked cakes an hour away. Nothing is going on with those cakes that would make me think it couldn't go another 5 hours. And I'm not sure what you mean by mentioning highway speeds -- there's nothing smoother than freeway driving. It's the regular roads that generally are bumpier.

 

I would absolutely regret paying that much for something I don't need at all. I have peace of mind delivering cakes. They are stacked properly and travel just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl View Post

I had one rather memorable occasion when I was transporting a pie. Not a multi-tier cake, but a boxed Marie Callender's pie. A grand total of a mile and a half. And I had to make a sudden stop, because of, as I recall, some yahoo who either had no concept of traffic laws, or (more likely) couldn't keep his or her furry friend from running out into traffic. Needless to say, the pie did not fare well (more like "farewell to the pie.").

 

Sudden, unexpected G-loads in directions other than "down" happen. Whether you're traveling a hundred miles or a mile and a half. If having to de-spindle the cake at its destination, and patch the frosting, is the price you have to pay for a system that would likely enable the cake to survive a multi-vehicle pile-up with little or no damage, then I'd say it's a small price to pay.

With a cake you have to drive similar to the way an 18 wheeler drives, leaving many car lengths in front of you, right?  Of course an accident is possible, but if I'm going to take care that something in my car can survive a "multi-vehilcle pile-up with little or no damage", then I will consider getting a good driving helmet before worrying about how the cake comes out.

post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post

How can it possibly not be more work? Whatever goes on top of the cake has to be packed separately and I often make fragile pieces that travel great on top of a cake but less so in a box.  Living in a large metropolitan area, I routinely deliver steep (5-7-9) 3 tier stacked cakes an hour away. Nothing is going on with those cakes that would make me think it couldn't go another 5 hours. And I'm not sure what you mean by mentioning highway speeds -- there's nothing smoother than freeway driving. It's the regular roads that generally are bumpier.

 

I would absolutely regret paying that much for something I don't need at all. I have peace of mind delivering cakes. They are stacked properly and travel just fine.

With a cake you have to drive similar to the way an 18 wheeler drives, leaving many car lengths in front of you, right?  Of course an accident is possible, but if I'm going to take care that something in my car can survive a "multi-vehilcle pile-up with little or no damage", then I will consider getting a good driving helmet before worrying about how the cake comes out.

 

I always think it is funny when people knock a product they have never used. If you don't want to buy one, fine. I'm sure your perfect stacking and driving, not to mention everyone else's perfect driving around you, make your deliveries a breeze.

 

I never had a "problem" happen while delivering before I had my Cake Safe, but the stress was incredible. I worried constantly that if I had to hit my brakes suddenly my cake would get knocked forward and be damaged. My cake does not move even a little bit in the Cake Safe. All of the worry has been taken away. Granted, the first time I used it I was still worried because I wasn't 100% sure that it would work as described on their website (thanks to my husband's skepticism), but after the first hour-long drive (on rough local roads) I was convinced that it was the best purchase I had made in a long time.

 

The only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot have a cake without a hole in the top of it because the metal bar goes through the entire cake. If you want a have a cake with a perfectly smooth top you pretty much have to have a buttercream cake where you can fill the hole and smooth it back over once you get on site. You probably wouldn't be able to do it with fondant and make it look seamless.

 

These are just my opinion and we are all entitled to our own. I'm not trying to start a fight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › My new Cakesafe box! OMG!!!