Originally Posted by dalis4joe
...BUT I guess if you are letting your customers know that it is NOT edible and you do not advertise your cakes as being completely edible then I would think it's like using a plastic cake topper in your cake... as long as the client knows I guess it's fine.. but wouldn't it be a bad thing if the colored gumpaste product touched part of the cake... wouldn't that make the cake itself not safe to eat?
kinda confusing to me....
Just make sure the colored parts don't touch the cake, if you're concerned about it.
The chefs at my culinary school used to use eye shadows to color their flowers, since it was harder to find petal dusts in the olden days. I only use petal dusts and edible markers now, but it wouldn't bother me if someone used a little non-toxic marker on gumpaste, and the marker didn't touch the surface of the cake. I personally wouldn't use markers to draw on fondant that would be eaten, though.
If non-toxic markers were dangerous, every kindergartener in the world would be dead from sucking on pens. The amount of ink that would get into your system from eating a gumpaste flower is so small it would be way less than the amount that kids ingest. Also, I'd rather eat a tiny bit of non-toxic marker than the amount of food colorings that go into some candy and icings, if given the choice. Eating a gumpaste rose that's been marked up with markers isn't going to turn your poop blue for two days, which has happened to my kids after eating breakfast cereal.