Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › What does Swiss Meringue Buttercream taste like?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does Swiss Meringue Buttercream taste like? - Page 3

post #31 of 63
So, do you buy the egg whites in a carton, or use the dried ones. I've only ever used fresh, but I'm very interested in using others as a lot of my yolks go to waste. I do have a yellow cake recipe that calls for 8 yolks in a single recipe, so that helps a lot icon_smile.gif . I still end up with waste! Can you use the meringue powder?

Sorry to the original poster! Hopefully you find this information helpful too!
thanks Mamawrobin - you've got lots of great advice!
post #32 of 63
I buy the ones in the carton. I've never used the powdered ones for SMBC. Some say that they don't work as well but I can't tell any difference in them and real egg whites. The wasting of yolks was my reasoning in trying them in the first place. And it's cheaper in the long run.
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #33 of 63
I use the powdered egg whites and my SMBC gets raves. No safety issues with the powdered whites.
Also, I have always thought that BC made with the yolks only is called French Buttercream. I make it often and use it as a filling. Silvia Weinstock has some great flavor ideas for this type of BC.
Life is unpredictable so let's eat dessert first!
Reply
Life is unpredictable so let's eat dessert first!
Reply
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliespartycake

I use the powdered egg whites and my SMBC gets raves. No safety issues with the powdered whites.
Also, I have always thought that BC made with the yolks only is called French Buttercream. I make it often and use it as a filling. Silvia Weinstock has some great flavor ideas for this type of BC.



Thanks for the info on using powdered egg whites. I'm going to try that thumbs_up.gif
I thought the same about the French Buttercream. I've never heard of Swiss Butter Buttercream Icing. icon_confused.gif But anyway icon_lol.gif I've never tried it but it sounds yummy.
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #35 of 63
Dumb question - since the egg whites and sugar have to be constantly whisked, how does one do that with the thermometer in there?
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty

Dumb question - since the egg whites and sugar have to be constantly whisked, how does one do that with the thermometer in there?



My thermometer has a clip on it and I just clip it to the pan. It's on one side and really out of the way for whisking icon_lol.gif
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #37 of 63
I have just started using SMBC in the past week. I made four batches in the last three days. Here has been my experience on this.

1. I use the recipe posted here on page 2, the sin SMBC or something like that listed in the recipe section. The proportions work for me and it can easily be doubled.

2. I use a candy thermometer. I agree with mamawrobin. They are only $4 bucks at your local grocer. Mine has a clip too, but doesn't work well with my bowl. So I just have it resting on a towel next to the stove and stick it in and check it. In the sinful recipe it states 3 minutes, which is about what it takes to get to about 150 degrees. So I set the timer just so I have a reminder of how long I've been working on this part.

3. My CIA book states that between 140-150 is enough to sterilize the egg whites without them starting to cook. So I strive to 150 degrees.

4. I used liquid egg whites twice and got OK results. By OK, I mean that the first time the SMBC was not stable enough.It barely stayed on the cake. At the time, I blamed it on the heat of the day. I didn't use the thermometer, I just cooked it for three minutes. I didn't let the meringue cool and get to stiff peaks before I started adding the butter. Based on those two errors I used the liquid pasteurized eggs again for the second batch. I got a bit more stable SMBC, but never got the eggs to make into a meringue. Then someone on her mentioned on how it states on the side of the box that liquid eggs will not whip into a meringue. So I made my third batch using real egg whites and a thermometer. This batch was much, much better. I added white chocolate to the first two batches and did a taste test before adding the white chocolate. This even tasted less butter like.

5. The fourth batch is the best and what I will do from now. Still using the ratio of the sinful recipe as my guide, I cooked the sugar/real egg whites to 150 degrees. I then used the whip attachment and started whipping the mixture. While it was mixing I took a towel and soaked with the very cold water and wrapped it around the bowl to expedite cooling. In the future I will use ice packs that I just bought. Then when I got stiff peaks in the meringue I, switched the beater to the paddle started adding the butter one tablespoon at a time. It then went through the curdling stage. After the curdling stage was complete the frosting was even smoother and lighter than when it hadn't done this in the first two batches.

The important thing is that at this point with the taste test it tasted smooth, silk like with just the right touch of sweetness. AND you could not taste any discernible butter flavor. So I believe that if you distinctly taste butter, then you have made the SMBC wrong somewhere in the first part. And my guess is the whipping of the meringue is the key. You need to get a nice good stiff meringue just before it gets to the point of being dry.

On my last two batches I also added a Raspberry puree made from fresh raspberries. This is where I think refrigeration is the key. I made a cake on Sunday and used both White chocolate SMBC and a Raspberry/White chocolate SMBC. I left the cake out of the fridge with a saran wrap covering (I have to get a covered cake stand and soon!). Last night, Tuesday night, I noticed the raspberry frosting looked darker than it was on Sunday. I had just had a piece of cake at lunch, so I know it was fine then. But by evening the raspberry had started to turn. The white chocolate SMBC part was fine and the cake was fine, but the raspberry fruit needed refrigeration. So depending on what you use to flavor the frosting it may need to be refrigerated. But cake taste better at room temp, so just take it out for about 20 minutes before serving and then you can put it back in the fridge too.

Sorry for the long message, but I am now a huge convert of SMBC. Done right it is the most heavenly thing you can make.

HTH
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
post #38 of 63
I totally agree with the best results being fresh egg whites. (In all fairness I've not tried it with powered egg whites yet) thumbs_up.gif . I've also found that when I add raspberry puree it NEEDS to be refrigerated. If I use only white chocolate then not. I also think it's better served at room temp.
I'm going to do the expedited cooling with ice packs the next time I whip some up though. I like the idea of doing that. Thanks Linda. thumbs_up.gif
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #39 of 63
Hello everyone, I thought you might like to try this recipe for french buttercream. It's really delicious and a good way to use up the yolks:
14 egg yolks
2 c sugar
1c water
1 1/2 lb butter

Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook to soft ball stage (237-240). Meanwhile, whip the yolks on high speed until light and thick. Pour the syrup over the beating yolks in a steady stream and continue to beat until the bowl is cooled. (you can take a cold towel and wrap around the base of the bowl to help speed it up) Add softened, but still cold butter in small pieces gradually, on medium speed. The buttercream may appear to curdle, but don't panic, keep on beating and it will come together. After the buttercream is light and smooth add flavoring slowly, continuing to beat at medium speed and then finish at high.

This freezes well. Thaw out in the fridge overnight and then bring to room temperature before rewhipping on medium speed with the paddle.

Enjoy!
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnella2045

Hello everyone, I thought you might like to try this recipe for french buttercream. It's really delicious and a good way to use up the yolks:
14 egg yolks
2 c sugar
1c water
1 1/2 lb butter

Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook to soft ball stage (237-240). Meanwhile, whip the yolks on high speed until light and thick. Pour the syrup over the beating yolks in a steady stream and continue to beat until the bowl is cooled. (you can take a cold towel and wrap around the base of the bowl to help speed it up) Add softened, but still cold butter in small pieces gradually, on medium speed. The buttercream may appear to curdle, but don't panic, keep on beating and it will come together. After the buttercream is light and smooth add flavoring slowly, continuing to beat at medium speed and then finish at high.

This freezes well. Thaw out in the fridge overnight and then bring to room temperature before rewhipping on medium speed with the paddle.

Enjoy!



I would love to try it. Thank you for posting. thumbs_up.gif
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

I have just started using SMBC in the past week. I made four batches in the last three days. Here has been my experience on this.

1. I use the recipe posted here on page 2, the sin SMBC or something like that listed in the recipe section. The proportions work for me and it can easily be doubled.

2. I use a candy thermometer. I agree with mamawrobin. They are only $4 bucks at your local grocer. Mine has a clip too, but doesn't work well with my bowl. So I just have it resting on a towel next to the stove and stick it in and check it. In the sinful recipe it states 3 minutes, which is about what it takes to get to about 150 degrees. So I set the timer just so I have a reminder of how long I've been working on this part.

3. My CIA book states that between 140-150 is enough to sterilize the egg whites without them starting to cook. So I strive to 150 degrees.

4. I used liquid egg whites twice and got OK results. By OK, I mean that the first time the SMBC was not stable enough.It barely stayed on the cake. At the time, I blamed it on the heat of the day. I didn't use the thermometer, I just cooked it for three minutes. I didn't let the meringue cool and get to stiff peaks before I started adding the butter. Based on those two errors I used the liquid pasteurized eggs again for the second batch. I got a bit more stable SMBC, but never got the eggs to make into a meringue. Then someone on her mentioned on how it states on the side of the box that liquid eggs will not whip into a meringue. So I made my third batch using real egg whites and a thermometer. This batch was much, much better. I added white chocolate to the first two batches and did a taste test before adding the white chocolate. This even tasted less butter like.

5. The fourth batch is the best and what I will do from now. Still using the ratio of the sinful recipe as my guide, I cooked the sugar/real egg whites to 150 degrees. I then used the whip attachment and started whipping the mixture. While it was mixing I took a towel and soaked with the very cold water and wrapped it around the bowl to expedite cooling. In the future I will use ice packs that I just bought. Then when I got stiff peaks in the meringue I, switched the beater to the paddle started adding the butter one tablespoon at a time. It then went through the curdling stage. After the curdling stage was complete the frosting was even smoother and lighter than when it hadn't done this in the first two batches.

The important thing is that at this point with the taste test it tasted smooth, silk like with just the right touch of sweetness. AND you could not taste any discernible butter flavor. So I believe that if you distinctly taste butter, then you have made the SMBC wrong somewhere in the first part. And my guess is the whipping of the meringue is the key. You need to get a nice good stiff meringue just before it gets to the point of being dry.

On my last two batches I also added a Raspberry puree made from fresh raspberries. This is where I think refrigeration is the key. I made a cake on Sunday and used both White chocolate SMBC and a Raspberry/White chocolate SMBC. I left the cake out of the fridge with a saran wrap covering (I have to get a covered cake stand and soon!). Last night, Tuesday night, I noticed the raspberry frosting looked darker than it was on Sunday. I had just had a piece of cake at lunch, so I know it was fine then. But by evening the raspberry had started to turn. The white chocolate SMBC part was fine and the cake was fine, but the raspberry fruit needed refrigeration. So depending on what you use to flavor the frosting it may need to be refrigerated. But cake taste better at room temp, so just take it out for about 20 minutes before serving and then you can put it back in the fridge too.

Sorry for the long message, but I am now a huge convert of SMBC. Done right it is the most heavenly thing you can make.

HTH



My health department requires the egg whites and syrup be brought to 165. Just putting that out there since 150 is quite a bit lower than that.
post #42 of 63
momma28..I always heat mine to 160 degrees as that's what the receipe says. I'll start going on up to 165 to be safe thumbs_up.gif . Thanks.
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.
Reply
post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

momma28..I always heat mine to 160 degrees as that's what the receipe says. I'll start going on up to 165 to be safe thumbs_up.gif . Thanks.



icon_smile.gif Not trying to step on anyones toes, im sure some health departments have different standards. I was told by one cc'er that she holds hers at 170 for 5 minutes. I dont go that high and my health department doesnt require holding for any length of time just that it reaches 165
post #44 of 63
Good to know. I am learning that what I am reading from a book from the Culinary Institute is not always good enough. I am again assuming being in that industry, they know what they are talking about.

If I can ask, what state is your health department?
And do you know what temperature the egg whites would actually start cooking at?
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
I am no longer active on CC.  They will not let me delete my account.
Reply
post #45 of 63
I made the Well Dressed SMBC this weekend and my husband and son thought it was the most horrid icing they'd ever eaten. I thought it was just ok. It calls for 2 TB of real vanilla. That seemed like a lot to me. Smoothing it was a little tough too. Definitely won't try it again. But that's just my house.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cupcakes!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › What does Swiss Meringue Buttercream taste like?