Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › **News From Provo Craft regarding Licenses** PLEASE READ**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**News From Provo Craft regarding Licenses** PLEASE READ** - Page 2

post #16 of 73
check this out: http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/HallOfShame/CraftSites/Cricut/Cricut.shtml
Rosie

Hooked on Cakin' works for me!!
Reply
Rosie

Hooked on Cakin' works for me!!
Reply
post #17 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Kinda like how they "allowed" the lady that actually invented using the machine for gumpaste/fondant pieces to have the privilege of demonstrating the technique before they sent her away and started making millions on HER revised invention?

Exactly!!

ProvoCraft are NOT in my favorite list...I won't support a company with poor business ethics thumbsdown.gif
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
post #18 of 73
Ok - let's use the example of you downloading a copyrighted shape off the web (since you downloading a PC shape from a cart would mean you are circumventing their copy protection, which is definitely illegal). If you take that shape and alter it, and I'm not a lawyer to tell you exactly how much you need to alter it, it is now yours.

Tobias
post #19 of 73
Well does it make a difference if I did'nt download the image directly from the cartridge, if I found it online in jpeg form and changed it, basically using it as a starting point for creating my own image.
post #20 of 73
I would like to know the answer to CakeMommyTX question too!!!
post #21 of 73
Has anyone used the Dover copyright free books for craftspeople? They have beautiful images in many styles and themes. They are starting to include CDs with their books.

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-clip-art-and-design-on-cd-rom.html
Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, a touch that never hurts.
Charles Dickens
Reply
Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, a touch that never hurts.
Charles Dickens
Reply
post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasWilhelm

I know its a complicated concept to grasp, I would have problems understanding it too if I hadn't worked with it for many years in my advertising business, so don't feel bad for having to ask questions.

Tobias


That is really condescending!

The examples you cite from your advertising experience are not the same thing at all, the context and usage is completely different as are the laws relating to the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Hey Jen, with regards to that old adage, "Don't shoot the messenger." Are you sure you really want to "speak" for PC? You never know what harebrained thing is going to happen next- just saying. icon_lol.gif


I think you guys should take this advice! You say you are trying to clarify but your irrelevant examples just add confusion. Let ProvoCraft defend themselves. I know you have a relationship with them tgat you rightfully want to protect but your staunch defence of them makes it seem like you are on their payrole. I don't know or care if you are but it comes across that way.
post #23 of 73
I'm venturing a guess here and I'm not a lawyer, but I believe "finding" an image online that is not supposed to be there to begin with is not going to make things any better. You basically start with something that you have no license to have without owning the cartridge, so any resulting "altered" version is still off limits.
If you were to use the image off your cartridge, giving you permission to use it because you own the cart and therefore the license, you can alter it and make it yours. Does that make sense? I think the lawyers call that fruit from the forbidden tree ... or maybe I just watch too much Law & Order ...

Tobias
post #24 of 73
Of course people who are making money holding classes that teach others how to use the machine want to defend PC. I for one won't give PC one dime, and I'm looking in to other machines that I can use. It seems that PC is following all of the conversations about their unethical behavior related to this machine in different areas, and are now trying to cover their butts.
post #25 of 73
What about public domain...?
¢¾Sarah
Reply
¢¾Sarah
Reply
post #26 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Of course people who are making money holding classes that teach others how to use the machine want to defend PC. I for one won't give PC one dime, and I'm looking in to other machines that I can use. It seems that PC is following all of the conversations about their unethical behavior related to this machine in different areas, and are now trying to cover their butts.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
"Life is short...eat cake!"
Reply
post #27 of 73
I simply won't give this company one red cent of my money. End of story for me.

Makes me thankful that when something comes out and is popular I sit back and wait (most of the time icon_biggrin.gif ) This time waiting paid off. They are shady!
The older I get the smarter my mother gets!
Reply
The older I get the smarter my mother gets!
Reply
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Quote:

jen1977 wrote:
Of course people who are making money holding classes that teach others how to use the machine want to defend PC. I for one won't give PC one dime, and I'm looking in to other machines that I can use. It seems that PC is following all of the conversations about their unethical behavior related to this machine in different areas, and are now trying to cover their butts.



thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Yuppers thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
SANITY-Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've LOST yours. Doesn't mean you can borrow MINE!!!....
Reply
SANITY-Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've LOST yours. Doesn't mean you can borrow MINE!!!....
Reply
post #29 of 73
Try an exacto knife if you feel so strongly about it. It's cheap and easily accessible. (Not directed at anyone in particular, just a general "you")
post #30 of 73
Any of the "official" information presented here does not at all answer my question about right of first sale.
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › **News From Provo Craft regarding Licenses** PLEASE READ**