Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › Is anyone actually making money on cookies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is anyone actually making money on cookies? - Page 2

post #16 of 40
SallyBratt
I feel it totally depends on where you live. I am quite rural and cookies just aren't a necessity here. I am going to take a basic cake decorating course in March. I think cakes will sell better around here.
post #17 of 40
I agree. There arent many in my area who would agree to pay $1 per inch, let alone more for intrinsic designs or for packaging. While i don't sell much, i've quoted pretty low prices to people interested in ordering, and they were quite shocked. I don't think i've ever really made what was worth the time it took to make and decorate cookies, except for the edible images which don't need much decoration, but cost more to make.
I do, however, find it amazing how much people are willing to pay for miiniatures and cakes. I think it's a psychological thing people have with their perception of cookies and what their prices should be.
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I agree. There arent many in my area who would agree to pay $1 per inch, let alone more for intrinsic designs or for packaging. While i don't sell much, i've quoted pretty low prices to people interested in ordering, and they were quite shocked. I don't think i've ever really made what was worth the time it took to make and decorate cookies, except for the edible images which don't need much decoration, but cost more to make.
I do, however, find it amazing how much people are willing to pay for miiniatures and cakes. I think it's a psychological thing people have with their perception of cookies and what their prices should be.


Do you have a Cookies by Design close to you (within a one hour drive?) I have one within minutes from me, and when a friend told me that the folks at her celebration were SHOCKED at the price she paid for the bouquet, I told her, "I guess they never shop at that other national cookie chain, then, because I'm 25% cheaper than they are!" icon_rolleyes.gif

Knowing what yoru competition charges and being able to shoot it right back at them is a great tool to have in your arsenal. "I understand that you may not want to pay my $6/cookie. You might try that one place .... no, wait .... they charge $7.25/cookie PLUS a container fee PLUS a delivery fee, so that won't work. You could try .... no, they don't make these kinds of cookies. Hmmm. Sorry lady, I guess you're screwed!" (ok maybe I'd leave off the last line, but it's fun to think about it!) icon_lol.gif
post #19 of 40
I'm getting into the cookie thing. I getting sales because I started marketing Valentine's Day. I'm selling my regular cookies like oatmeal, chocolate chip for $10 a dozen and I'm selling the cookie bouquets starting $15 to 45.
I can do all things through Christ no matter what it looks like.
Reply
I can do all things through Christ no matter what it looks like.
Reply
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBratt

Well, I am an artist and I'm still in awe of what some of those ladies can do with a cookie!! Here's my little flickr cookie set if anyone wants to have a look. Certainly not as amazing as the others.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybratt/sets/72157614130087587/

The baptism cookies were the only ones done using fondant. Sadly it was the Golda's fondant and they tasted like shite. I had to throw them out.

Note* I'm a bit of an idiot sometimes and some of my pictures reflect that. There are also some naked gingerbread men with little gingerbread pee pees so I hope they don't offend anyone. icon_smile.gif



LOL! I love the squirrels on your Thanksgiving platter! So cute! I am totally infatuated with Rosey Sugar.... I actually have a bit of a girl crush on her..her talent I mean..lol Her piping is unbelievable. I wish. I have so many Favorites from her I could never pick one. And I think the naked Gingerbread men are hilarious. I would totally make those icon_eek.gif
post #21 of 40
Cookies are what make most of my business. I have learned that there are people out there that WILL pay $$$ for good cookies. Those that want to pay Wal Mart prices can... well go to Wal-mart. Just practice, practice, practice.
post #22 of 40
yea, my hubby was like "you have to compete with safeway (grocery store)" And I said hell no! for 1 its just buttercream on those, and they take about 2 seconds to frost. 2. mine are custom made, and take hours and look a hell of alot better then a slap of icing!

so I know my prices are low (havent even opened yet lol) but if people want an awesome looking, out of the ordinary cookie, they will pay the $2.25-$3.25 pp for my cookies icon_wink.gif

If they dont, then they can go to safeway, get regular cookies, and imagine what it would have been like if they had gotten mine! icon_wink.gif

(I was agreeing with thecookieladycc if you were wondering lol)
post #23 of 40
When I started on CC a couple of years ago, the advise I got was to donate to your church, friends, etc. just to show what you could do. I have learned so much from all the pros here that what I can do these days is a lot more than I could do then LOL.
You will always get the comments and even little sneers, about the price and is she nuts!!! My pretty snazzy cookies and cakes sat next to all the rest at our monthly church bake sale, and it wasn't long before people were asking me to do things for them. The people that appreciate the time and talent it takes to produce these things will always be first in line at these sales to get my things. I price my things at the bake sale just a tad lower than I would normally charge and nobody bats an eye at the price. Like someone else here said, the quality of the ingredients we use is far superior to anything you get in even the best stores. Every once in awhile, I just have to try one of those $5.00 little tiny tarts or cakes that look so fabulous, but they always taste like yucky cardboard. I always wonder what in the world they make that stuff with.
I guess my point here is that it might take a little while, but people will appreciate your work and be willing to pay for it. They think nothing of paying several dollars for a little piece of candy that sits enticinly on the checkout counter in an upscale gift shop, so why should they expect to get your beautiful, handmade cookie for nothing. Also go around to the stores in your area and check out what people are paying for those mass produced treats that are so popular. I love to bake, but I won't give it away either.
"IT IS A PRIVILEGE & A PLEASURE TO HELP THOSE WHO CANNOT HELP THEMSELVES" We are volunteers raising money to send severely disabled children to summer camp. Helping those less fortunate can dramatically change your own life for the better!
Reply
"IT IS A PRIVILEGE & A PLEASURE TO HELP THOSE WHO CANNOT HELP THEMSELVES" We are volunteers raising money to send severely disabled children to summer camp. Helping those less fortunate can dramatically change your own life for the better!
Reply
post #24 of 40
If you don't like fondant on the cookies, you could try modeling chocolate - you can cut the shape just like you would fondant, but it has a different flavor! You can do it with white chocolate and it would be delicious! You can flavor it too with oils! MMMMMM - cheesecake flavor in white chocolate on a creamy sugar cookie!
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBratt

Well, I am an artist and I'm still in awe of what some of those ladies can do with a cookie!! Here's my little flickr cookie set if anyone wants to have a look. Certainly not as amazing as the others.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybratt/sets/72157614130087587/

The baptism cookies were the only ones done using fondant. Sadly it was the Golda's fondant and they tasted like shite. I had to throw them out.

Note* I'm a bit of an idiot sometimes and some of my pictures reflect that. There are also some naked gingerbread men with little gingerbread pee pees so I hope they don't offend anyone. icon_smile.gif



omg, those gingerbread men are too funny, thanx for the laugh thumbs_up.gif
I don't sell mine, probably because I would never get enough money for them. I love to do them when I have time and I give them away as gifts to my customers. That's always fun! I would love to know too if anyone is really making a profit on cookies? I'm with you op, I don't know how that can be done with all the labor involved

Kelly
post #26 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

If you don't like fondant on the cookies, you could try modeling chocolate - you can cut the shape just like you would fondant, but it has a different flavor! You can do it with white chocolate and it would be delicious! You can flavor it too with oils! MMMMMM - cheesecake flavor in white chocolate on a creamy sugar cookie!



Thats a good idea. In fact ChocoPan is pretty darn tasty (I eat it right out of the bucket but don't tell anyone!)

I just got an email from a woman wondering what I charge. She needs enuf for 210 guests. I've told her I charge by the size and detail of design so I'm waiting to hear back. I'm hoping she'll be ok with $3 per but we'll see what she wants 1st.

Definitely not going to undercut myself on these because they're just way too labour intensive.

thanks to everyone for the comments on my cookies. The gingerbread ones are my faves too icon_biggrin.gif
post #27 of 40
Thread Starter 
She sent me a picture. She wants a med sized cookie so I'm thinking $2.75 per...assuming she's going to do her own packaging. If I have to do the packaging it'll be more.

Does that sound reasonable?
LL
post #28 of 40
Thread Starter 
Actually...scratch that. I'm going to charge $3 per. It'll give me some barter room.


edit...geez...just did a google search and everyone is charging around $3.99 per cookie for those exact cookies. I've upped my price. Good thing I checked before I sent the email!
post #29 of 40
The online pricing I've seen varies. I've seen smaller sites sell for $2.00 per cookie. I've seen some larger cookie sites sell for $6 per. But, that included what appears to be an edible image monogram and a clear lid gift box. The thing that concerns me about the big companies: they say their cookies last for over a month. What is in there????

I'd say Sweet Sugar Belle and TracyLH are sort of in a different category. They seem to be completely custom. Which SHOULD yield a very custom price. And, those who really want it...will pay for it. Those people are out there. Just don't bend. If you want to offer a lower priced option to snag customers, make a standard design or two on a smaller cookie. Something super simple!

Oh Renaejrk- thanks for the tip on the modeling chocolate. I'll give it a whirl! (I've been experimenting with fondant recipes)
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBratt

She sent me a picture. She wants a med sized cookie so I'm thinking $2.75 per...assuming she's going to do her own packaging. If I have to do the packaging it'll be more.

Does that sound reasonable?



I NEVER let the client do their own packaging... It's a question of hygien (how don't know how to spell it in english) and also, I want to keep a consistancy of the look of my cookies (the quality of the look of the packaging is really important).. you know your name will be related to those cookies, you want them to look exactly how you want it to be.. you know what I mean?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cookies!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cookies! › Is anyone actually making money on cookies?