Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Royal icing......Egg whites or meringue powder????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Royal icing......Egg whites or meringue powder????

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I am going to make some snowflakes with Royal Icing and not sure which recipe to use. I was told that the egg whites will make the Royal Icing hold up better. Does anyone have a good egg white recipe??
post #2 of 21
I use the wilton one with meringue powder all the time, works great! I have a a lot of childeren in my family and older people and people with immune issues, I know the egg white would probably be fine but there's the little nagging "what if....?" voice that keeps me using meringue, and if it works why change? HTH!
"A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world... oh sorry... that's wine... wine does that."

"You are only helpless when your nail polish is wet. Even then, you could pull a trigger if you had to."
Reply
"A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world... oh sorry... that's wine... wine does that."

"You are only helpless when your nail polish is wet. Even then, you could pull a trigger if you had to."
Reply
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Maybe I should use the powder instead of egg whites. I was just wondering how many use the egg whites and trust it to be safe.
post #4 of 21
i use antonia's74 RI to cover all my cookies now but i would have no problem in using an egg white one for decorations on a cake.

I use to use the egg whites one all the time before and didn't even know then that it might not be safe lol but i don't think it's THAT unsafe, but now i know, I am iffy from time to time lol

If your worried a bit why not see if your local supermarket has pasturized egg whites?

Anyway if you decide to use eggwhites here is the recipe i used:

3 cups icing sugar
2 egg whites
8 drops lemon juice

And then just add the icing sugar like 1/4 at a time to the egg white in a bowl and then beat until it is nice and thick.
Design Addict
Reply
Design Addict
Reply
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
I have some egg whites only (in the carton) in the fridge. I will look and see if that is unpasturized. Since the decorations are not going to be eaten I think it will be ok. Now I wouldn't use the egg white recipe to put icing on my cookies or anything like that.
post #6 of 21
sorry i wrote unpasturized before.....i meant pasterized lol but yeh i personally would be ok about using it for decorations on a cake
Design Addict
Reply
Design Addict
Reply
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

sorry i wrote unpasturized before.....i meant pasterized lol



I just caught that too! icon_smile.gif By the way I did check the egg whites only carton and they are pasteurized so I assume it's safe to use them.
post #8 of 21
yep and if you want to use them in IMBC too it's makes it alot safer to leave it out of the fridge for longer too, that's mainly what i am buying them for cose when they are pasterized they are helping to eliminate the risk of selmonella
Design Addict
Reply
Design Addict
Reply
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

i use antonia's74 RI to cover all my cookies now but i would have no problem in using an egg white one for decorations on a cake.

I use to use the egg whites one all the time before and didn't even know then that it might not be safe lol but i don't think it's THAT unsafe, but now i know, I am iffy from time to time lol

If your worried a bit why not see if your local supermarket has pasturized egg whites?

Anyway if you decide to use eggwhites here is the recipe i used:

3 cups icing sugar
2 egg whites
8 drops lemon juice

And then just add the icing sugar like 1/4 at a time to the egg white in a bowl and then beat until it is nice and thick.



I have seen several recipes and some of them call for vanilla or other flavorings. Can I ask what the lemon juice does? Is it just for flavor or does it have a function??
post #10 of 21
i am not 100% sure lol but i thinks it's probably just for flavour. It doesn't make it really lemony but just a hint of lemon and i think that RI tastes good........but then again i like the tastes of all the RI i make.....not that i eat spoon fulls of it lol

beside using the lemon juice in that one, i have never actually flavoured my RI with flavourings lol
Design Addict
Reply
Design Addict
Reply
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

i am not 100% sure lol but i thinks it's probably just for flavour. It doesn't make it really lemony but just a hint of lemon and i think that RI tastes good........but then again i like the tastes of all the RI i make.....not that i eat spoon fulls of it lol



The last time I made RI I used Meringue Powder and I think some vanilla. I didn't like the taste of the icing. Not sure if it was the MP or not. I have decided that I will use the recipe you gave me and used the pasteurized egg whites to make the snowflakes.

Have you ever made snowflakes before? I have some templates and parchment paper to trace them. Wish me luck!! I hope they don't fall apart!
post #12 of 21
I havn't actually ever used meringue powder before cose over here in AUST we have a different thing of powdered egg whites that i use so maybe it doesn't have the same funny taste that alot of people say about the meringue powder.

no sorry havn't make snowflakes before but good luck! Oh and this recipe also pipes very smoothly icon_smile.gif
Design Addict
Reply
Design Addict
Reply
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

I havn't actually ever used meringue powder before cose over here in AUST we have a different thing of powdered egg whites that i use so maybe it doesn't have the same funny taste that alot of people say about the meringue powder.

no sorry havn't make snowflakes before but good luck! Oh and this recipe also pipes very smoothly icon_smile.gif




Awesome! Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to go whip up a batch and start on the snowflakes so they can dry overnight.
post #14 of 21
oh and you can halve the recipe of you want if you find it's two much
Design Addict
Reply
Design Addict
Reply
post #15 of 21
I have used both and definitely find that the eggwhite-based icing tastes better - I use the same recipe as Elise87.

Have also found that my 3 year-old daughter has an allergy to Wilton meringue powder it makes the skin on her face red an blotchy wherever the icing touches it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recipes
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Recipes › Royal icing......Egg whites or meringue powder????